Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1712234)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nico Rosberg

He looks to have been struggling badly for quite a few races now, don't you think?

Whilst Webber has been doing a solid job, this probably hasn't been helping the appearance of Rosberg's performances, but he hasn't impressed me that much.

Also, was the split between Webber and Williams 'mutual' in the sense that Williams wanted him out and Webber wanted out, or did Williams want to keep him? I understand why Webber wanted to go to Red Bull.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1712246)   #2
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have agreed with you up until last race when Webber qualified really badly.

I think the Williams is so unpredictable from race to race that neither driver can be judged properly.

I've heard conflicting reports in relation to the MW split with williams. From what I can recall Frank himself stated that they could not come to an agreement. I read this as meaning they wanted MW though did not want to pay the asking price.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1712248)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from the first race of the year Rosberg has been rubbish! That race where he was the fastest on the track boggles my mind, how could he do that and then be so bad after?

He certainly hasn't done enough to keep his seat but he has a famous name... And Williams is not exactly a hot bed of performance anymore either.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1712249)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Give him a break, it's his debut season, in a car struggling for pace and reliability. He hasn't had much of a chance to perform because his car won't allow him to.

[Born Racer]Also, was the split between Webber and Williams 'mutual' in the sense that Williams wanted him out and Webber wanted out, or did Williams want to keep him?[/quote]

No-one will ever know...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 17 Sep 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1712252)   #5
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry, have some people on here forgotten his peformances in the last couple of races? He was ahead of Webber in both, Its not his fault the car let him down is it?
Old 17 Sep 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1712282)   #6
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I'm sorry, have some people on here forgotten his peformances in the last couple of races? He was ahead of Webber in both, Its not his fault the car let him down is it?
He didnt finish ahead, so we dont know how those performances wouldve gone.

Remember last year Pedro had a cracker of a race at Bahrain. Judging by Nico's debut also you have to wonder if the track is by nature "easy" to set fast times for.

I think i'll wait till Suzuka to make a more serious judgement on Nico, but at this stage it looks like hes struggling to make himself noticed in a car thats nowhere. Webber hasnt had such a problem with that in comparison.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1712286)   #7
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Nico has had a hard debut season.

He was sensational in the opening race, and it was at a time in the season when the playing field is tighter in terms of competition.

A lot people under-estimate Mark Webber, and the fact that Nico has been out done by him, by no means translates to Nico having had a rubbish season.

The team have been inundated with troubles, which is not the best environment for a rookie - and at times we know the pace is just not there.

Nico is a definate talent, and given the right environment (he won't get that at Williams) then he will shine. He may never be a World Champion, as the level of competition is going to be immense - but he'll be a race winner in my opinion, and a driver fully deserving of a Grand Prix seat in F1's future.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1712292)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nico has had it tough after a spectacular debut. His fortunes have slid with the teams. Whereas Webber, with his experience if nothing else, is shining a bit brighter.

Nico will come good, I'm sure of it. But how good I'm not so sure.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1712302)   #9
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
I think Nico has had a hard debut season.

Nico is a definate talent, and given the right environment (he won't get that at Williams)
Nico was very impressive early on and sure he's struggling at the moment, but I wouldn't write Williams off so soon. They've always come back just a question of when.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1712305)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with Smurfer, Williams cars are blocking both drivers performances.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1712306)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Let's see what Sir Frank William's has to say shall we.
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37366

It’s the worst we’ve been since [co-owner] Patrick [Head] and I started in 1977,” Williams was quoted as saying by Reuters.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1712315)   #12
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone knows how long is Nico's contract with Williams? Let's just hope he doesn't get beat by Wurz next year because that could really hurt him mentally. IMO Nico is a future talent, but for now he needs a little confidence back, maybe that's why Frank Williams chose Wurz over the other good drivers that were searching a drive for next year. I think Nico has a better chance of beating a Wurz than a Webber or JPM next year.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1712323)   #13
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see that Williams finish a race... and then have some performance before I'd start tearing too many holes in Rosberg.

Lets not lose sight of the fact that he won the Gp2 last year in style. His debut Grand Prix this year was sensational after a shaky start, and his performance in Malaysia was equally as strong. Since then, the Williams has barley been able to finish a race, let alone compete competitively with other cars. I don't think he's been too bad, except for a couple of rookie mistakes, one at Montreal... (after I might add a strong qualifying) and Hockenheim, which was compounded by a very strong performance by Webber.

The trouble is, that Nico is a rookie, and Williams are not in the postion to give him the practise mileage at Grand Prix weekends due to reliabililty issues, and so he is losing out.

He can come back much stronger as a driver next season. I just hope Williams produce a car that is both reliable and reasonably competitive. Sadly, they seem to be dieing a slow and painful death.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1712387)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The last couple of races have been stronger from Nico, although it could be that Mark is not fully committed or getting the latest parts now that his departure is confirmed. Nico has been disappointing throughout the season, with a lack of pace next to Mark and a lot of rookie msitakes. A lack of testing and of car reliability are certainly a part of what has gone wrong, but next year there will be no excuses.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1712401)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well if the car is not up to the task next year then? one has the same scenario don't you think?
Old 17 Sep 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1712408)   #16
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lack of general testing can not be used as an excuse for Nico. He's had plent of that, not just this year, but during the off season, and regulary during 2005 as well.

So imo that is an invalid excuse.

But the lack of practise and setup time at the Grand Prix, and then the car breaking down, doesn't help his cause.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1712592)   #17
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James North
But the lack of practise and setup time at the Grand Prix, and then the car breaking down, doesn't help his cause.
yep, you stole my point James!

i think its definitely had a big impact on his ability to really come to grips with the car at each track and really wring its neck...

So, for this reason, i keep getting the feeling we're probably only seeing about 95% of nico's real ability.

Nico may in actual fact wish that he'd taken the path of kubica etc and had plenty of friday miles to learn how to belt out a fast lap, and then learn how to be able to do that consistently...

But i think the end result after a few seasons will be that Nico will be at the very least, a top quality driver.