Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Which circuits would you drop? (4-8 options please)
Mid-Ohio 8 9.76%
Lime Rock 29 35.37%
Mosport 5 6.10%
Austin 10 12.20%
Barber 36 43.90%
Indianapolis 44 53.66%
Virginia 14 17.07%
New Jersey 57 69.51%
Long Beach 23 28.05%
Detroit 37 45.12%
Baltimore 47 57.32%
Houston 64 78.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Apr 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3230137)   #101
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCYTravis View Post
The ALMS race at Mid-Ohio was pulled at the last minute because of a date conflict with the new Nationwide race... which was going to be scheduled whenever the hell NASCAR wanted it to be scheduled.
No it wasn't, it was because it was cheaper for Mid-Ohio to have a "double header" than have ALMS there as part of a shared weekend.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 03:28 (Ref:3230156)   #102
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Barber is a cool enough track but choosing between it and Road Atlanta is no contest.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 03:35 (Ref:3230158)   #103
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
No it wasn't, it was because it was cheaper for Mid-Ohio to have a "double header" than have ALMS there as part of a shared weekend.
Ah, I must have drawn the wrong inference. Thanks.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 04:12 (Ref:3230171)   #104
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
One track in the middle of the country that would be nice to see developed into a proper, professional road racing facility is High Plains Raceway east of Denver. Take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ICYk4tdb8
Having watched that video and researched the facility, I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. The layout of that place looks like a quite good drivers' track, a Barber Park in Colorado. Certainly worth some consideration, no question.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 06:02 (Ref:3230197)   #105
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post

Latest print edition of Autoweek says expect Kansas on the schedule in '14.
I saw that too. This was the quote: "Assuming the 2014 schedule contains Daytona International Speedway; Sebring; Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta; and probably Long Beach Calif.; Indianapolis, Austin, Texas; and Kansas Speedway-Kansas is the poster track for modern NASCAR speedways-that could leave as few as three races for the rest of the tracks."

So he left Watkins Glen off the list which tells me this guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. That would be par for the course for Autoweak. Back to coaster duty for that rag.

Oh, and that is not my punctuation in the quote, that is how it was printed.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3279400)   #106
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Marshall Pruett has some news on the USR schedule:

Quote:
Going to happen
1: Daytona, Rolex 24
2: Sebring, 12 Hour
3: Watkins Glen
4: Road Atlanta (Petit Le Mans)

Also said to be happening
5: Kansas

Very likely
6: Long Beach
7: Laguna Seca
8: Detroit
9: Indianapolis
10: Road America
11: Austin

Might happen
12: Baltimore
13: Lime Rock
14: VIR

"Mosport has rarely been mentioned in backroom conversations"
Choosing Indianapolis and Kansas over Baltimore, Lime Rock and Mosport seems a very bad idea to me.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3279408)   #107
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rovals. Riding right into ridiculousness from the very beginning. You gotta hand it to the USCR guys, they definitely know how to **** up. Hats off!
Old 19 Jul 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3279412)   #108
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
****ing Kansas. So stupid. I hope nobody shows up.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3279415)   #109
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Indianapolis makes sense, Kansas does not.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3279420)   #110
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
what is the logic behind Kansas? It it a theoretical 'untapped market' or one that's not served by another venue, or are the owners of it paying for events or something?

I can understand the logic behind Indianapolis, but Kansas just seems a very random choice of venue when you've got established events such as Baltimore or classic circuits such as VIR.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3279421)   #111
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
what is the logic behind Kansas? It it a theoretical 'untapped market' or one that's not served by another venue, or are the owners of it paying for events or something?

I can understand the logic behind Indianapolis, but Kansas just seems a very random choice of venue when you've got established events such as Baltimore or classic circuits such as VIR.
The logic is that it's owned by NASCAR so all 4 people that show up will give their money straight to them. No other reason. A buddy of mine lives in KC and says he's going to Road America instead of some Kansas oval.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3279422)   #112
freeballin
Racer

freeballin User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
****ing Kansas. So stupid. I hope nobody shows up.
It won't matter. Kansas is on the schedule this year, and no one will show up.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3279434)   #113
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
New marketing speak for the USCR:

Come out and watch the brand new USCR Daytona Prototypes run in a line for two hours at exciting tracks like Kansas Speedway! The fans spoke and we listened!

Old 19 Jul 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3279435)   #114
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
The logic is that it's owned by NASCAR so all 4 people that show up will give their money straight to them. No other reason. A buddy of mine lives in KC and says he's going to Road America instead of some Kansas oval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballin View Post
It won't matter. Kansas is on the schedule this year, and no one will show up.
If USCR were truly running a business here, an event with little to no attendance would not be welcomed back on to the schedule. There are plenty of venues with recent history of hosting Alms/ga events that will be left out in 2014. hopefully those venues will be given a chance when Kansas is a flop
Old 19 Jul 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3279436)   #115
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
hopefully those venues will be given a chance when Kansas is a flop
So you're counting on them getting it wrong in their first shot AND learn from their mistakes afterwards?

The first definitely is a given, the second seems quite a leap of faith given over a decade of evidence to the contrary..
Old 19 Jul 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3279460)   #116
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
It would be an utter shame to see Mosport go. Also, I'm very surprised that they're set on Kansas Speedway... it's more boring than the Iowa infield road course. Of course, it is NASCAR-owned.

But I think everyone is being a bit too cynical about something still taking its first steps. It looks very promising... I'll admit that the Kansas choice was a bad call, but don't shoot it down before it gets off the ground. I'm glad they are still "considering" VIR... it's the best of the "might happen" events. I'd also add Mid-Ohio to the "might happen" events... it's run by the ALMS, USCR, and NASCAR, so there is no reason whatsoever that it shouldn't be included.

I think we can speculate on a preliminary schedule...

1. 24 Hours of Daytona - January 25-26
2. 12 Hours of Sebring - March 15
3. Long Beach - April
4. Laguna Seca - May
5. Detroit - June
6. 6 Hours of the Glen - June
7. Indianapolis - July
8. Road America - August
9. Kansas Speedway - August
10. Circuit of the Americas - September
11. Petit Le Mans - October

I'm supposing we'll see a schedule of about 12-15, with the most likely candidates being Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock, Baltimore, and VIR.

Then again, the series would be a whole lot better if somehow they managed 20 races, with Sonoma, Miller, Portland, Barber, and Mosport.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3279468)   #117
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
..right. and teams whining that they won't be able to pay more than 10 races with current updates (quote of same article). To be taken with a chunk of salt, obviously. Teams will always whine that stuff is too expensive, I guess...
Old 19 Jul 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3279489)   #118
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The Kansas layout looks boring, but they haven't even run on it yet...who knows, it might put on some stellar racing.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3279498)   #119
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The Kansas layout looks boring, but they haven't even run on it yet...who knows, it might put on some stellar racing.
That's the spirit...

Here's a quick clip, not the best quality but it gives you the idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWvF55sXqHA
Old 19 Jul 2013, 23:46 (Ref:3279537)   #120
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think you're missing the point, on a number of counts.

This isn't, for 2013, nor does it sound like it would be for USCR in 2014, a combined event with NASCAR. As such, the standalone dates rather limit you. And whoever picked the Kansas race to be in August was INSANE. You also won't have the "help" of some fraction of the NASCAR crowd maybe being there for the Sportscar race.

I want to go north anyway this time of year, and as far as the tracks go, I'll pick Road America to go to in a heartbeat over any roval. Kansas being included means that another good, classic course won't be. That's not a price worth paying, especially given the slate of courses that could/will be left off no matter what.

And how in the hell is Kansas in August going to do better commercially than Mosport would likely do?! Mosport is one of the best road courses on the continent, with plenty of Sportscar history, and it draws crowds in quite well right now.

Also, unless you're going to revive Talladega or Monza, you've already got the roval to beat just about all others in most respects: Daytona. What's the value in including a cheap imitation, by comparison, on the calendar?

And it's not as if rovals have a stellar history of longevity in Sportscar racing, especially in recent years. If they were so great and well-received, how come all of these have been dropped by Can-Am, IMSA, ALMS, and/or GA?
1. Texas World Speedway
2. Talladega Superspeedway
3. Pocono Int'l Raceway
4. Ontario Motor Speedway
5. Michigan Int'l Speedway
6. Charlotte Motor Speedway
7. Atlanta Motor Speedway
8. Phoenix Int'l Raceway
9. Las Vegas Motor Speedway
10. Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway
11. Homestead Speedway
12. Texas Motor Speedway
13. California Speedway
14. Iowa Speedway

Why would you want to bake in summer in a metal seat that you may have to stick to, depending on your ticket? Additionally, why would you choose to bake out in the open, on the flat (both the track being flat, and having no elevated viewing option), in an RV parking lot in the infield?

As for Indy, I understand it better, but still, it's hardly a good layout. It will be a traffic nightmare, at least through the first sector of the lap. There's really only the one good overtaking point for passing same-class traffic, and that spot (Turn 1) suffers from the critical flaw that its exit is MUCH narrower than its entry. (Anybody recall what almost always happened in Turn 1 on Lap 1 at Cleveland?)

Finally, at least for now, rovals are going to suffer from the problem that they look AWFUL on TV, because you NEVER fill the stands to anywhere near capacity. For an entity (NASCAR) that has been so intent on building what it sees as a positive image, it's almost astounding that they've missed the unquestionably BAD image of bare aluminum for as far as the eye can see!
Old 19 Jul 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3279541)   #121
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
How about getting rid of Daytona it just come with to much baggage(NASCAR) lol I'm obviously joking I like the 24 and live in Daytona.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:35 (Ref:3279566)   #122
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ughh why the hell do they want to keep Kansas and indy.it just so stupid to keep those tracks in favor of dropping classics.why not drop those rovals and add tracks like sonoma and vir.if daytona wasnt as historic to the sport id say drop that one to."A five-hour drive from Long Beach to race the following weekend in Monterey is also expected. Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca currently hosts separate ALMS and Grand-Am rounds, and with Mazda holding interests in both series, the USCR is currently expected to make a single SoCal-to-NorCal swing through the West Coast during its inaugural season."UUGGHH i hope they dont fall within one week of each other, if they do it might not fit my budget or vacation and makes for a boring year after that with no sportscar action for the rest of the year in cali.why do they gotta **** everything up!?!?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3279567)   #123
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with everybody that Kansas is stupid to keep around. Indianapolis HAS to go. USCR has no business being a support race for anybody so I am encouraged that I hear it is not 100% sure thing it will be on the schedule. I'm wondering if how the turn out for the Grand am race is will determine USCR if they want to drop it. Maybe they are looking for a reason to drop Indy. I hope nobody shows up for the Grand am race for Indy then. It will improve the chances that indy will get dropped next year.

If you are thinking about attending grand am at indy, please reconsider and don't show up!
Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3279570)   #124
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I'm with everybody that Kansas is stupid to keep around. Indianapolis HAS to go. USCR has no business being a support race for anybody so I am encouraged that I hear it is not 100% sure thing it will be on the schedule. I'm wondering if how the turn out for the Grand am race is will determine USCR if they want to drop it. Maybe they are looking for a reason to drop Indy. I hope nobody shows up for the Grand am race for Indy then. It will improve the chances that indy will get dropped next year.

If you are thinking about attending grand am at indy, please reconsider and don't show up!
I happen to enjoy sportscars in my backyard, I will be attending this year and in 2014.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 03:13 (Ref:3279571)   #125
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
I happen to enjoy sportscars in my backyard, I will be attending this year and in 2014.
I hope there won't be a race in 2014 for a local Indianapolis person to go to.