Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 30 Aug 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3127584)   #1
deimh
Rookie

South Africa
London
deimh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic FF Catches Fire at Oulton Park

Hi all

Just a quick word of thanks / warning:

On leaving the pits for the warm up lap of the HSCC FF race at Oulton Park last weekend I heard a loud bang and looked in my mirrors to see the rear of my Titan Mk6 in flames.

Firstly, thanks to the marshalls that rushed over and put the fire out, great work that was very very much appreciated!!!!

Secondly, the cause of the fire was the swage fitted brass tube popping out the fuel pump. Hence I would recommend (as I will be doing) wiring both the pump and carb ends of the fuel pipe to stop such a thing happening again.

PS If anyone has a photo (or knows of someone that has one) of the car alight I would appreciate a copy for the scrap book - thanks.
Old 26 Sep 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3142147)   #2
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im guessing the tube that popped out is the same tube that feeds from the fuel tank and the fuel pipe is removed from the pump to drain the tank?

If so, what I have done in recent years, is purchased a male and female end 8mm dry break from Demon Tweeks and an 8mm brass tee. Put the tee on the outlet of the tank, run a section of fuel hose to the FEMALE dry break and a line to the pump with NEW jubilee clips all round. The male end put on the end of your fuel pump kit line. This way, you never need to dissconnect the fuel line for tank draining and the system is bullet proof.

I personally think constantly sliding the fuel pipe on/off/on/off/on,,, eventually takes its toll on the fuel pump tube, which is only brass soldered/guled into the fuel pump housing. The lockwire will only stop the pipe falling off the tube, and if you try to stop the tube falling out the pump, it will only spray fuel through gaps that get made between the pump housing and brass tube!

Id reccomend you change the fuel pump, sooner rather than later. It might only happen again.

Unlucky nonetheless!