Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 May 2002, 20:24 (Ref:278827)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC Tech Rules

Press Release

Quote:
BMP ANNOUNCES LONG TERM TECHNICAL STABILITY FOR THE BTCC

British Motorsport Promoters (BMP) today announced a further three year extension to the British Touring Car technical regulations from the end of 2003.

The extension, confirmed on the morning of Rounds Five and Six of the Green Flag MSA British Touring Car Championship at Thruxton in Hampshire, takes the current regulations forward until the end of the 2006 season and comes at a time of continued growth for the series.

Series Director Richard West commented:

“It is extremely important for the existing teams, manufacturers and sponsors to have stability in all areas. By announcing a further three year extension to the existing regulations at this time, those new manufacturers and teams considering entering the championship in the future can also do so with total confidence, knowing that the technical platform will remain constant - thus allowing them to plan efficiently in all matters from sponsorship to personnel and equipment.”

The decision has been universally welcomed by all BTC Touring Team Principals, who met with Richard West and Peter Riches at Thruxton on Saturday (4th May) to ratify the proposals.
Old 6 May 2002, 21:21 (Ref:278860)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also interesting to hear the BMW and Alfa Romeo representatives were guests at Thruxton today...
Old 6 May 2002, 21:35 (Ref:278868)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. BMW and Alfa people would have been in country for the ETCC round anyhow.

However I would read something into the final paragraph of the release
Quote:
I'm confident that in confirming the extension to the
regulations at this early time, we will see a significant increase in Touring Class entries for the 2003 season."
i.e. we won't need any Production cars next year
Old 6 May 2002, 21:48 (Ref:278875)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
And that is surely something that will be good for both classes. Costs are rising in the production class due to it's inclusion in the BTCC and maybe the formation of a seperate series, the British Production Car Championship (or National Saloons, whatever it's called) will see a fall in costs and an increase in the size of the grid ?
Old 6 May 2002, 21:58 (Ref:278884)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a safe bet that BTCP (or whatever it may be called next year) will be split from Touring. Weird that Production saved the BTCC but the BTCC is now starting to kill off Production.

Edenbridge have said they intend to move up to BTCT with the BMW's, I wouldn't be surprised if it is works(basing this on more than BMW reps being at Thruxton)
Old 6 May 2002, 22:08 (Ref:278891)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I like the idea of a seperate Production series and I know several teams are too. From a simple running cost point of view NSC had a 15 min qualifying and a 20-30 min race per meeting, BTCC has 2x 40min free practice, 40 min qualifying, 20-25 min race and 45-50 min race, which is a huge difference. Question is where do the races run? Do they become a single 'support' race on the TOCA package or back to F3/GTs. My vote would definately be the former.

As far as Touring regs are concerned, interesting to see no adoption of the new FIA regulations, but then I don't find that especially surprising.
Old 7 May 2002, 00:34 (Ref:278974)   #7
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Markules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they can establish the BTCP class as being for BTCT what F3000 is for F1. Be good if they could have some sort of fast track for young drivers - like the champ of the BTCP gets a shot in a privateer car for a season after that.

Hopefully BMW will enter - the press coverage the BMW Vs. MG Rover factor would get would definately raise the profile of the series, especially if the MG cars won!
Old 7 May 2002, 02:43 (Ref:279014)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
As far as Touring regs are concerned, interesting to see no adoption of the new FIA regulations, but then I don't find that especially surprising.
I thought that maybe they would start leaning towards the FIA regs, but then again with 4 manufanufacturers no need to change. It could possibly cause a problem in a few years though depending on what happens in the ETCC and whether alot of other countries adopt the FIA rules.
Old 7 May 2002, 15:33 (Ref:279511)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I'm not that keen on the ETCC rules to be honest. Since they are an FIA series and run in the same meetings as the FIA GT's, most circuits are very large and I feel large circuits don't show Touring Cars at their best.

The race at Silverstone was good, pity about the long straights which are designed fro 200mph F1 cars.
Old 7 May 2002, 17:18 (Ref:279605)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
Question is where do the races run? Do they become a single 'support' race on the TOCA package or back to F3/GTs. My vote would definately be the former.

The easiest way of making space on the BTCC schedule for the production class would surely be to lose the Formula Fords. They are getting fewer in number with every race, and the ethos of the whole series is getting further away from the original intention with every passing season. Right now, the best thing that can be said for Formula Ford being on the BTCC programme is that it makes a handy break in the programme for us to get a hamburger.
Old 7 May 2002, 18:07 (Ref:279639)   #11
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope that the production class becomes a BTCC support race. They provide great racing and are a great bunch of people.