Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Dec 2001, 11:34 (Ref:189358)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Diesel in the BTCC??

What do you think?

With the large advances in diesel engines, surely their could be some smart manufacturer come along with a diesel? VW have a TDCDi(or whatever!) in a rally car, or they used to?

Surely this has to be an option for the future, it may also help develop the diesel engine.
Old 24 Dec 2001, 13:29 (Ref:189384)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I do like the idea of looking into alternative fuel sources for race cars. Not sure about Diesel though... for them to be anywhere near competitive they would need a turbo and they'd probably blow up before the first lap was finished (I own a diesel, so believe me, I know!) Doesn't really leave us with much of alternative than sticking with the good old petrol engine though. Or does it ? Wonder if they could find room in the rules for a solar powered car ?
Old 24 Dec 2001, 14:59 (Ref:189406)   #3
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the B&Q car was diesel????
Old 24 Dec 2001, 15:13 (Ref:189408)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
No, it just seemed like it was at times...
Old 24 Dec 2001, 15:26 (Ref:189411)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember the Gas(or LPG) powered Vectra that was just about entered for 2000? They didn't find the funds did they?

I know Pug have a 2.2 diesel in the 406 Coupe - maybe they should return with that next year? You never know...
Old 24 Dec 2001, 18:25 (Ref:189423)   #6
Aidan J Harvey
Rookie

Aidan J Harvey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Remember the Gas(or LPG) powered Vectra that was just about entered for 2000? They didn't find the funds did they?
I'll think you will find that that car ran in the Vectra challenge in 98 and 99. Not the btcc.
Old 24 Dec 2001, 18:26 (Ref:189424)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Diesel is fine for some classes of rallying where it's as much about reliability and durability than outright speed. I suppose in time the technology will improve to the extent where a diesel race car would be viable but I suspect there will always be the need for some sort of weight/capacity allowance, which always brings back the same arguements we had with FWD vs 4WD vs RWD and Petrol vs LPG.

As for solar powered Craig, remember the last Brands Hatch rounds? It would still be there now trying to complete the race distance
Old 24 Dec 2001, 22:29 (Ref:189486)   #8
JEMMO
Racer

JEMMO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt BMW race a diesel 320 at Spa a couple of years ago?
Old 25 Dec 2001, 13:38 (Ref:189535)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been racking my brain over this one, and I eventually came up with a couple of (lightly) factory supported VW Bora TDi racers that took part in the ADAC long distance cup in Germany - I think it would have been 1997.

So yes, they were touring cars, but competing in events such as the Nurburgring 24 hours, where endurance and economy have a lot more importance in race strategy.
Old 25 Dec 2001, 17:38 (Ref:189563)   #10
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of the 24 hours at the Ring, I think I read last year that a VW Caravelle TDI ( ) finished 134th, one place ahead of a Ferarri 355.

[stating the bleeding obvious]
One must assume this was down to tempramental Italian machinery, rather than quality of driving
[/stating the bleeding obvious]
Old 25 Dec 2001, 20:30 (Ref:189580)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'd forgot about the Bora, although at a guess it was more recent than '97 - 98 or maybe 99 ?

The Diesel BMW was basically a SuperTouring 320 converted to endurance spec and fitted with a diesel unit.

While I think about it Abt ran a natural gas powered Audi A4 at the N'ring 24hrs a year or 2 back.