Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

View Poll Results: Which Need for Speed do you prefer?
Need for Speed 1 to Hot pusuit 2 12 70.59%
Need for Speed Underground to Carbon 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1735497)   #1
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Need for Speed do you prefer?

For me it has to be the old school Need for speed (like Hot pusuit etc).
I lost interest when underground came out because it lost the concept of the original game.
(Lets face it Ferrari, Mclaren and Lamborghini or Ford, Volkswagon and Peugoet.
Place your bets!
Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1735532)   #2
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I much prefureed the older games to be honest. Racing around in porches, Ferrari's and Lambo's was much more fun than racing around darkened streets in "dun" up normal cars.
Old 11 Oct 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1735702)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had to go with the first Need For Speed. I had it on the PS1. I really liked the handling and for the time it was presented pretty well. I also liked the 'making of' video included on the disc. It was quite interesting to watch.

I must admit I haven't even tried the later ones like Underground, I think mainly because the premise behind them is just not my thing.

Last edited by Spudgun; 12 Oct 2006 at 00:01.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 00:33 (Ref:1735718)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steet Racin' babbyyyyyy! Woooooooooo!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Oct 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1736329)   #5
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got NFS 2 and 3, and both are great. 2 is fantastic for high speed crashes, particularly with the AI, although no damage. 3's great with high speed police chases and a wide variety of tracks - 9 in total, although 8 are made up of 4 tracks with 2 layouts each, which is another great feature of it
Old 12 Oct 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1736377)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have owned all of them and certainly preferred the early incarnations with exotic cars. They were never the most impressive games in terms of realism, but they were all so much fun. Best one for me was Road Challenge, the fourth game. That was excellent.

Nowadays it is about street racing and modifying hopeless cars, something I have about as much enthusiasm for as a brain tumour. I do not want to "pimp my ride" or "slam" my VW Golf down on "phat 19" rims". I do not want my "homies" to "dig my induction kit". Or whatever it is that chavs talk about these days.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1736401)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's got to be Need For Speed II for me. I think I played hot pursuit as well, but the basic nature of NFS2 was perfect. The premise is simple - just choose a fast car, and then you go race. You get 7 opponents, fast, interesting road tracks, and AI that actually put up a stern fight. The handling was crude, but it meant it could be played easily on a keyboard. It just ticked all the right boxes for an arcade racer.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1736423)   #8
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
the later versions sell bucket loads more than the early versions, so that tends to dictate the direction of the series to an extent.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1736432)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NFS 2 was bloody great. I remember paying £50 for it from a HMV store in London, 1997...ah, my youth.

That was the last one to feature the in car views too, which was good. Oh and the McLaren F1 was on it, which was the clincher back when I was 12 years old...lol.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1736484)   #10
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
NFS 2 was bloody great. I remember paying £50 for it from a HMV store in London, 1997...ah, my youth.

That was the last one to feature the in car views too, which was good. Oh and the McLaren F1 was on it, which was the clincher back when I was 12 years old...lol.
Hate to say this but you got kinda ripped off! I bought it for £7:50 3 years ago. I chose it ahead of the other games simply so I could drive the Mclaren F1 at 231 mph. I Don't think you can do that on any other game!

Speedblood
Old 12 Oct 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1736497)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

NFS 3 had in car as well, I think

I loved the exoticness (is that a word?) of the cars of NFS 2, like the Isdera Commendetore, the Ford Indigo and Macca F1. NFS 3 wasn't the same, although the unlockable Jag was good. Problem with NFS 3 was you couldn't use some of the cars in Hot Pursuit mode, like the Merc and the Ferraris. Police mode was great, though - I once pushed a number of cars into the tight chicane on one of the tracks, and then put a spike strip or 2 (using the 2nd player) so that there was no way through
Old 12 Oct 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1736596)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well speedblood, I wasn't about to wait six years for it to drop to £7.50. That was what games were priced at new and I got it. No regrets.

I'd pay it again!
Old 12 Oct 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1736668)   #13
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the very first one - i miss the proper canonball-run style road races. and the SE version where there was a fast isle-of-man sorta course...
Old 13 Oct 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1737365)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
Problem with NFS 3 was you couldn't use some of the cars in Hot Pursuit mode, like the Merc and the Ferraris.
Mercedes & Ferrari wouldn't license their cars for what would seem to be deliberately illegal activity.

Not sure if the same applies to NFSMW for Ferrari, or whether there's another licensing issue in play? As there aren't any Ferrari's in that either.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1737685)   #15
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Well speedblood, I wasn't about to wait six years for it to drop to £7.50. That was what games were priced at new and I got it. No regrets.

I'd pay it again!
Maybe I'm just tight with my money! Or I can't remember games being £50 or so in 1997!

Speedblood
Old 14 Oct 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1737859)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedblood
Maybe I'm just tight with my money! Or I can't remember games being £50 or so in 1997!
I can rembember some SNES games being that much, sometimes more and that was the early-ish '90s!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1737934)   #17
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Need For Speed Special Edition, I loved the Point to Point races (costal, city and alpine!!!).
It had good cars too ! and the fact the police pulled you over. Also the videos that used to play when you got caught doing high speed, the police guy with the shotgun!
What a great game, But I did like NFS2SE for the cars it had, Jag XJ220, Mac F1, GT90 and the others. Real exotic cars of the time! On a side note something I do miss from the first 2 games (cant remember if it was on Need for speed 3) but car Bio's I think it was good how it told you infomation about the car, including history, and such. AAAA as a kid how I wished for My cars Number plate to be ND 4 SPD ........
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1738022)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

All this is making me want to get my PSOne out now.... I got all the Need For Speed games, it is time for a marathon!

First off Need For Speed 1. This game holds a childish memory for me....when you watch the showcase video for the Lamborghini Diablo, listen carefully to the backing music and you can hear a horse suffering bouts of diaorrhea. OK, look, I was 12 years old when I pointed that out, I was a kid OK?

What was that daft secret car on that game?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 03:34 (Ref:1738084)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pre-Ordered NFS Carbon today, hope it's worth the money!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Oct 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1738282)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No.....don't do it!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1738375)   #21
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NFSU and NFSU2 were the best in my opinion.

GT was always my favourite racing game. But for non-track racing the underground series are excellent games.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1738404)   #22
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
No.....don't do it!
Too late!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1738494)   #23
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NFS Carbon should be good, lots of exotic aswell as tuner and some new and old muscle in there too. And the downhill mountain racing looks good!
and look: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88504
Old 15 Oct 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1738698)   #24
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely preferred the older NFS games, loved hot persuit and the ones before.

However, i have a confession. Earlier this week, i found NFS Most Wanted in my games cupboard.

Go on, lynch me, i deserve it.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1741295)   #25
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
I had to go with the first Need For Speed. I had it on the PS1. I really liked the handling and for the time it was presented pretty well. I also liked the 'making of' video included on the disc. It was quite interesting to watch.
I have the Sega Saturn version of NFS 1, when I first bought it it was one of the only racing games I had that actually worked well with a steering wheel add on. Good crashes as well (but no damage) and the 2 player mode was great! Knowlesy, the secret car was called the "Warrior", there was also a secret track with a huge hidden jump...

Also have the demo of NFS Porsche Unleashed on the PC, but my computer is old and useless so it doesn't run very smoothly!