Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:02 (Ref:356434)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did Jaguar go downhill after buying Stewart?

I don't understand it. Surely having bought Stewart Ford when they were on a roll in 1999, they should now be getting podiums and wins reguarly by now under the Jaguar name. So what went wrong?
Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:28 (Ref:356466)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Miserably bad managment.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:58 (Ref:356499)   #3
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No wind Tunnel, Lack of management and direction, Internal politics and most of all the paint colour.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 23:00 (Ref:356501)   #4
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
No wind Tunnel
ah, but Stewart didn't have a wind tunnel for the 99 season and they had a great car. Agree about the politics though!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 23:17 (Ref:356510)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many bosses .
Old 12 Aug 2002, 23:26 (Ref:356517)   #6
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Why did Jaguar go downhill after buying Stewart?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
I don't understand it. Surely having bought Stewart Ford when they were on a roll in 1999, they should now be getting podiums and wins reguarly by now under the Jaguar name. So what went wrong?
Lauda.
I am sure if he stays for two more years, Jaguar will file for bankruptcy.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 23:39 (Ref:356533)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everything was perfect at Stewart in 1999 but when Ford took over they brought in new people, changed the management and various other factors have just left Jaguar behind.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 00:57 (Ref:356565)   #8
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have to agree w/ Champ69...it's the paint scheme.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 02:34 (Ref:356600)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
What about Rahal? Does anyone care to speculate where jag would be if he had not been removed? Was he on the right track or just another puzzle piece that did not fit?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 02:38 (Ref:356603)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
No wind Tunnel, Lack of management and direction, Internal politics and most of all the paint colour.
Truer words have NEVER been spoken!
Old 13 Aug 2002, 09:46 (Ref:356711)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jaguar have been a farce from day 1. There have been too many different people involved in managing the team along the way (Neil Ressler, Jackie Stewart, Paul Stewart, Bobby Rahal, Niki Lauda, Richard Parry-Jones, Gunther Steiner), they haven't got a consistant enough design team, internal squabbling has been too intense, they overpay Irvine, and try to solve every problem by throwing FoMoCo money at it. Sport doesn't work like that.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 10:10 (Ref:356721)   #12
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No er..fiscally responsible Scottsman running the show...
Old 13 Aug 2002, 10:13 (Ref:356722)   #13
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the question round the wrong way - Surely it should be why did stewart go down hill after selling out to Jag?

However the reasons above are all valid...
Old 13 Aug 2002, 13:51 (Ref:356867)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they insulted the mysterious spirit of le mans!
Old 13 Aug 2002, 13:55 (Ref:356874)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the points above are valid, although as I look at my diecast R1, I find the colors quite pleasing.

When Jag initially took over from Stewart, the idea was to create a new team from essentialy a clean sheet. Ressler wanted the team to have the sense that what they developed was their own. Of course this amounted to re-inventing the wheel (almost literally) and they ran into early development problems in such areas as the oil delivery systems.

Although I would have liked to seen them market themselves more in North America, I got the sense that they tried to create support in the UK by overmarketing themselves before they had a team worthy of fan support. I know any US sports team that tries to pass itself off as "America's Team", is in for a tough time from the fans(Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys).

No doubt countless leadership changes haven't helped. Although I'm not one to lay all blame at the feet of Lauda, I would have liked to see Ressler and Jackie Stewart stay on managerialy, with team leadership from Rahal.

I'm still a fan, albeit a dissapointed one. I'm not one of those that predict Ford's economic woes will spell the end of Jag F1. With sound, stable management and steady technological improvements, they still may become a contender in F1.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 18:16 (Ref:357029)   #16
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overconfidence from a slightly flukey year?

And green's an unlucky colour for racers, apparently. 'Nuff said!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 13 Aug 2002, 19:00 (Ref:357060)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember the CEO of Ford asking indignantly, "Who the hell is this Edmund Irvine that makes almost as much money as me?"

Miserably disconnected management, or what we like to call "CV CEOs" -- people who want to strut around and tell other people that they have a racing team, but they don't actually want the bother of actually giving it any attention. They should have bought it, rebadged it, and left it to Stewart to run it. Then they'd all have been happy and Rubens would be WDC.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 21:07 (Ref:357226)   #18
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Remember the CEO of Ford asking indignantly, "Who the hell is this Edmund Irvine that makes almost as much money as me?"

Boy, this story has reached mythical proportions in that it is oft quoted but bears little resemblence to the original. The original story had someone tell Jaques Nasser that he is the second highest paid Ford employee, and of course he asked who is first. The answer being Eddie Irvine.

That aside, I don't think you can make a case that Nasser was disconnected from the F1 effort. He made a commitment to motorsports that many at Ford hope will hold through the current administration of Bill Ford Jr. Nasser was very low key in his support of Jaguar, and did not make a point of "showing it off".

No, I don't think the 'blame', if there is blame to be laid, is with Ford. I'm not sure there even would be a Stewart Racing Team (or even a Jaguar Auto Company) had Ford, or someone else, not entered the picture.

Many mistakes and bad fortune have caused Jaguar to underperform. But to say that Ford was either too involved, or too not-involved is not the reason.

I think it's the color green.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 08:34 (Ref:357485)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1-2-3 successful teams max...11 on the grid - do the math.

renault, toyota, honda, and ford...they've obviously misplaced the company calculator.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 10:40 (Ref:357568)   #20
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have bought Stewart for the 2001 season, giving Stewart an extra year in the sport. When Jaguar bought Stewart, the team should have kept the same team personell and continued, but named Jaguar (and with the new paintwork)
Old 14 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:357573)   #21
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, starting from 2000 was OK, but THAT should have been a year under Stewert with Jaguar colours...
Old 14 Aug 2002, 11:16 (Ref:357602)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure the way the team changed over from Stewart to Jaguar would have made much difference. It might not have been such a PR disaster if they had just ran the Stewart team until all the extra Jaguar facilities came on line (wind tunnel etc...). i.e they kept it low key and didn't go around saying silly things like "sea of green" and "year of the cat". Having a more low key driver who had excellent technical ability would have helped too.

The constant changing of management hasn't helped either and IMHO they have ended up with the worse of them all! I like Niki, but I am not sure that team management is his forte (despite him turning Ferrari around in the 70s).

What bothers me most at the moment is that every time the introduce a new car and or development it is trumpeted as a great step, but then it hardly makes any difference and there is a lot of back tracking.

I am a big Jaguar fan. I even race one! However I feel that F1 is the wrong arena for them. Ford are keen to push the history of Jaguar, but they have missed one of the major facets of Jaguar's history. Le Mans. I believe that Ford as a whole would benefit if it pushed it's own name in F1.

I don't support Jaguar in F1 because I don't believe it is the natural place for them to be or even the right place for their current situation. If they had gone in and started winning maybe I would have thought differently, but it was unrealistic for them to do so. However I feel that they do need to win for it to be worthwhile exercise.

Having said all that I don't think Jaguar should produce a road car with front wheel drive or have an engine less than about 3 litres (and certainly not a 4 cylinder!). And, God forbid, ever a diesel. Unfortuantly, for me, I don't think that this realistic either.
Old 14 Aug 2002, 20:13 (Ref:357906)   #23
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
And Jaguars look like Rovers. That can't be good, can it?
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 14 Aug 2002, 22:52 (Ref:358012)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
by nicholaswhite
And Jaguars look like Rovers. That can't be good, can it?
Old 14 Aug 2002, 23:02 (Ref:358017)   #25
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
I hope I didn't offend anyone just now