Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3389882)   #276
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh, smoke & mirrors...

"Tell 'em we'll take off a silencer and see how they react"
*no mechanical changes*
"See? Everyone says they're louder!"

Now that would be genuinely funny.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3389892)   #277
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Well there you go. They (FIA, FOM, the manufacturers, and the teams) have all agreed to remove one muffler and the engines could be a little louder by the Canadian GP.

Looks like the whinges won this one.
Mufflers and turbos? Wouldn't a muffler have an effect on the speed of the exhaust leaving the tail pipe and therefore the speed the turbo operates at?
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3389893)   #278
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Given that the racing was so entertaining, I forgot to worry about or pay attention to the sound of the engines

Richard
Exactly. I still quite like 'em, mufflers or no mufflers.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3389895)   #279
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
They could just say "We tried and it did not work"
Old 7 Apr 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3389907)   #280
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have found a link in Autosport about making F1 cars louder and Bernie hopes these new high volume exhausts can be tested after the Spanish Gp!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113317
Old 7 Apr 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3389922)   #281
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the link.

As I feared, it'll be nothing to do with performance it'll be for the superficial dimbos, or even worse, teenagers with Saxos.

Open up the exhausts so there is a potential power gain and engineering challenge and you have me onside.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3389925)   #282
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe the new exhaust is supposed to look like this...

It should be quite a cacophony during the race.

Richard
Old 7 Apr 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3389930)   #283
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe the new exhaust is supposed to look like this...

It should be quite a cacophony during the race.

Richard
How long will it take Newey to get more down force from it?
Old 7 Apr 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3389970)   #284
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I have found a link in Autosport about making F1 cars louder and Bernie hopes these new high volume exhausts can be tested after the Spanish Gp!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113317
Genuinely saddening stuff. Just leave it be. Everything is going pretty well.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 00:14 (Ref:3389992)   #285
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How long will it take Newey to get more down force from it?
I suppose it depends on how hard he can blow and his embouchure.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 02:26 (Ref:3390012)   #286
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I did a quick search to find details, but can find any mention of this. Can someone point me to something that gives details? I am not exactly sure how they plan to do this?

It is a sad state that when they take action to "protect F1", that it comes as an agreement to artificially create engine noise, but they can't seem to be able to agree on a budget cap.

Richard
I am waiting for an official statement too Richard. They may agreement as they do on other 'non essential' matters but I still want to see an official communication if that is the state of the park.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:49 (Ref:3390061)   #287
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Well it's no different to last year, I don't see what wnut keeps saying. My wnut's measure it has always been rubbish.
I feel I am being unfairly maligned here, the sound of the engines in fairness, is not one of my big concerns!

Posted above that I had expected it to worry me, but it doesn't! (Post #203)

Engine noise traded off against cars that move around more under less aero on more durable tyres! I will be happy every time!

Racing is what F1 should be about!

Last edited by wnut; 8 Apr 2014 at 06:55.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3390062)   #288
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Ooh, smoke & mirrors...

"Tell 'em we'll take off a silencer and see how they react"
*no mechanical changes*
"See? Everyone says they're louder!"

Now that would be genuinely funny.

It would!
Old 8 Apr 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3390115)   #289
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I wasn't aware they even had mufflers. Isn't that why the V8 were so unpleasantly loud?
Sorry, was a lame attempt at humour.
Removing a muffler is the usual boy racer trick to make the exhaust louder.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3390227)   #290
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
'No easy fix' for engine noise says Bernie.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113348
Old 8 Apr 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3390271)   #291
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I feel I am being unfairly maligned here, the sound of the engines in fairness, is not one of my big concerns!

Posted above that I had expected it to worry me, but it doesn't! (Post #203)

Engine noise traded off against cars that move around more under less aero on more durable tyres! I will be happy every time!

Racing is what F1 should be about!
You said the new technology ruined the racing, but we just had a very good race, and the change in who has dominant because of who got the new technology right and who didn't has also made things more interesting.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 06:48 (Ref:3390416)   #292
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Agreed.

F1 is finally pushing some new technology. Sadly, it seems that for most fans, technological advancement doesn't count for much anymore.
The point I was trying to make was that the new technology did nothing to promote racing, it is merely a compulsory deviation into a KERS system and a battery storage system (green?!!), both of which would have no place on the grid but for legislation.

The cars have gone from 450 kg to 500 kg to accommodate the increase to 3 litre capacity to 690 kg including a 60 kg(?) driver so 630 kg?

Last time I heard mass was pretty important in the force and energy required to accelerate an object!

Lugging all the extra junk around (180 kg) cannot be either green or economical, or what the motor industry should be aiming at, and it certainly doesn't make for better racing!

Anyway we're stuck with what we've got, and it is way way better than it was in 2010!
Small mercies!
Old 9 Apr 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3390438)   #293
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
The point I was trying to make was that the new technology did nothing to promote racing, it is merely a compulsory deviation into a KERS system and a battery storage system (green?!!), both of which would have no place on the grid but for legislation.

The cars have gone from 450 kg to 500 kg to accommodate the increase to 3 litre capacity to 690 kg including a 60 kg(?) driver so 630 kg?

Last time I heard mass was pretty important in the force and energy required to accelerate an object!

Lugging all the extra junk around (180 kg) cannot be either green or economical, or what the motor industry should be aiming at, and it certainly doesn't make for better racing!
Anyway we're stuck with what we've got, and it is way way better than it was in 2010!
Small mercies!
Hope fully those in volved in F1 will find ways to reduce the weight of all the electric stuff by changing materials etc. or maybe come up with a new or different electrical storage system that is lighter and more efficent. After all making things lighter has always been in F1's DNA.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3390441)   #294
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day, the fact is, if F1 did not adopt the V6 turbo, F1 would probably be closer to a one make series today.

Fact, Renault said it will pull out of F1 if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced. Fact, Mercedes would not be in F1, as either a manufacturer or an PU supplier if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced. Fact, Honda would not be coming to F1 if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced.

Cosworth still has ambitions of re-entering the formula with a V6 turbo. Toyota and BMW couldn't see the benefit of continuing in F1 with NA technology. Both wanted a change. But the change came too late for them.

The only manufacturer that was not keen on the V6 turbo was Ferrari. They weren't happy, and are still not happy. So if Ferrari was the only engine supply choice, how many of the other teams would still be in F1? How exciting would F1 be with four or maybe five teams all running Ferrari PU's? Fact is, if the V6 turbo wasn't introduced, that could well have been F1 2014.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3390456)   #295
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't get this "road relevance" angle. I mean, we had V10's V8's and V12's throughout the 90s and 2000s, when were they ever "road relevant"?
Old 9 Apr 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3390467)   #296
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I don't get this "road relevance" angle. I mean, we had V10's V8's and V12's throughout the 90s and 2000s, when were they ever "road relevant"?

I may be way off here, but it may be that because the FIA and others (manufacturer teams) have seen hybrid and "green" technology elsewhere in top motorsport and which has some relevance to road cars (eventually), it was time that F1 made an effort. Obviously F1 isn't "green" overall but it does seem that the new power units will make an immense difference to world fuel consumption if the technology was adopted in road cars. I admit, I don't know how green it is to make billions of batteries and other related technical stuff.
Apart from some not liking the lack of noise, or rather, the lack of what is considered powerful-racing-car noise, I find it hard to fault the change to these power units.
I'm not so sure though that it is just these power units that have created a better spectacle (apart from the massive torque). The better racing and difficult cars may be more to do with the lower downforce and sensible tyres, but, yes, with that torque helping the show.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3390469)   #297
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
2014 version of, "win on Sunday sell on Monday"?
Old 9 Apr 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3390548)   #298
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Actually, it clearly is economical. Hence lap times within .5s of previous years on 30% less fuel. I wish I could drive to work using 30% less fuel.

It also gives massively torquey engines, which are always more exciting, and may well provide better racing.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3390556)   #299
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One could argue that Formula 1 engines were (somewhat) relevant in the eighties.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3390584)   #300
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Small mercies!
But all the while, they are going about the same speed using 30% less energy! Sure they added weight, but the added weight stuff made a big improvement in efficiency.

I agree things should be more open, but the hybrid angle is really the primary reason the cars are 30% more efficient in one year.