Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 Aug 2006, 00:37 (Ref:1695906)   #1
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Britcar 24 hours

should be attending this event at silverstone what should i expect/do to take in the atmosphere of a 24 hours event and also to enjoy it?

any help greatfully appreciated
Old 29 Aug 2006, 02:03 (Ref:1695933)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you'll have plenty of time, so a leisurely walk around the circuit viewing the action from each corner, a wander round the paddock (which is open to the public), a few beers if that's your thing, watching the action at 4am... etc.

24 hour races are great, you should find plenty to occupy your time!

Take an umbrella though, it was a bit wet last year...
http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/Gal...s/photo62.html
Old 29 Aug 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1696058)   #3
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
should be attending this event at silverstone what should i expect/do to take in the atmosphere of a 24 hours event and also to enjoy it?

any help greatfully appreciated
tux,after what I read about last years race,a torch might be handy on the GP circuit.
You may also want to visit my post and make sure I'm still awake
Old 4 Sep 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1701721)   #4
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was also thinking of attending with a few friends, has anyone any ideas on the camping arrangements at the circuit, will they be similar to past LMES events.

I know that the event was very poorly supported last year, hopefully things will be better this time around.

Great pictures by the way Mike !

Last edited by Gilles lives!; 4 Sep 2006 at 18:42.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1701791)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
No camping at the circuit, unless you are a marshal. Nearest campsite is Whittlebury Hall / Golf Club
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1701838)   #6
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
That's a bit poor...................I did see a tel number on the Silverstone web site regarding camping, I shall try calling that tomorrow.

Other options...........sleeping in the car.............. or......... the Donington World series by Renault !
Old 4 Sep 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1701848)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The number on all the Silverstone/Britcar publicity is for Whittlebury.

Having seen the paddock layout in the final instructions it looks like public parking will be outside the main gate not infield as I had first thought.

If you don't have a ticket for Donington then don't bother, there won't be tickets on the gate.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1701894)   #8
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Thanks for the info redshoes, it really does sound disappointing although it doesn't suprise me of Silverstone, it isn't the most hospitable place at the best times.

Yes I have the freebies for Donny but it is that bit further from Kent to travel and the last time I went there it was very wet and muddy when Mr Senna done his bit.

Even Rockingham's Oval fest sounds inviting with camping facilities, just a little expensive.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1702219)   #9
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Simon Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives!
That's a bit poor...................I did see a tel number on the Silverstone web site regarding camping, I shall try calling that tomorrow.

Other options...........sleeping in the car.............. or......... the Donington World series by Renault !
Thinking outside the box and knowing the venue and its ways very well this is what I would do if I were you .

Go to Silverstone, take your camping kit with you. Nobody will stop you taking it into the circuit. Head over to the infield and set up where the marshalls are based, near Copse and Becketts.

I believe they are allowing cars into the perimeter road area but not the infield itself. This leaves you the option to set up your tent behind the Start finish area or down by Stowe and Club as alternatives. If they try to stop you, plead with them, the guys on the gate are actually quite fair.

It wont be heaving with campers so I can assure you they wont be to strict on where you set up.

It will be a unique weekends racing, with supports from the Dutch Supercars (now they have some serious machinery), Sports 2000, always good racing and the Porsche open and then of course the 24hr itself with allot of quality racing drivers and cars. The new Red Bull BMW Z4M Racer will be making its racing debut with Dieter Quester, Robin Liddell and Tim Mullen on board to name just one pretty interesting machine worth watching.

Getting into the pits area wil also be easy. So you can see the cars and teams first hand.

Last edited by Simon Mason; 5 Sep 2006 at 11:13.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1702428)   #10
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I hope to be there - I shall sleep wherever it is I am when I drift off.

Looking forward to it. First 24h race I've been to, I really hope the atmosphere is good. I had planned on going to the Nürburgring 24h this year.. but with no factory BMW's to support it would have been a bit of a waste. Maybe next year.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1702541)   #11
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Thanks Simon, we were considering doing something like that or just crashing in the back of the car, depending on the weather really. I always prefer to be on the infield especially when racing is on the GP circuit.
I love endurance racing, but have been finding it hard to generate interest for this event amongst friends. Having interesting entries like the Z4 with a very competent driver line up does help.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1702561)   #12
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Latest news on the BMW driver line up is that Robin could'nt get back from the states until Friday and the team wanted him to test the car so, he is now out of the drive and replaced by Jamie Campbell-Walter.

Other top line ups include Thomas Erdos and Mike Newton in a Ford Falcon Aussie V8 Supercar, 2 Moslers always good watch, Michael Vergers in a Porsche GT3, David Leslie and Guy Smith in a Super rapid E36 BMW M3, Mike Jordan in a similar but slightly slower M3, Phil Bennett and Rob Huff in a full monty BTCC spec Honda Civic and Martin Donnelly, Ian Flux and Mike Wilds in a Mazda RX8 to name a just a few. There are over 20 ex british racing champions entered that I could count and some rare super cars as well. Add to this some run it for the experience of it cars and you have some great racing to watch.

Made all the better because you can get in close to the action by going into the Paddock. I will be flat out busy all weekend with managing and driving, but my team is in garage 2C if you wanted to pop along and watch.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1702766)   #13
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
That sounds great Simon, I am still not sure which way I will be heading at the weekend but if it is to Silverstone I'll pop in and have a peep, my son would be enthralled, I took him to Le Mans this year and he loved it.

Paul.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1702803)   #14
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Simon, you racing a Civic then?

I'll be cheering on Mike Wild's Mazda, with any luck Steve Guglielmi will be piloting it at some point. Although I know he's pretty good, I have yet to see him race (he is a good mechanic though! )
Old 5 Sep 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1702835)   #15
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Yep we are racing the Civic again. Would have been a straight fight between us and Mazda in class 3 until a week ago when our class was changed to give the Mardi Gras BTCC spec Civic some cars to keep them honest. I think it was a fairer change for the other class 3 cars however so we are all happyish.

Not sure if Steve is going to drive though, he has enough to do running 3 cars although all his team are all class motorsport people. His driver line up is excellant as well, Wild's is one the nicest blokes in racing and the characters in the fastest Mazda (the 96 car) are all pretty handy (understatement of the year).

I really think class 2, will be one the closest battles of the event because at least 5 cars out of the 8 or 9 in class could win it if lady luck plays her part. There are 10 ex uk racing champions spread through this class alone.

Bring yourself and your son along Gilles. You will get much closer here than at Le Mans. Ok not so many spectators around but at least the toilets don't smell!! Well not like French ones anyway.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1703331)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest Gilles Whittlebury Hall is so close, although slightly further than the marshal's campsite, will not be bad at all!
Old 6 Sep 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1703486)   #17
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
It's probably a very nice campsite Suze but being a veteran of many Le Mans I would prefer to have the racing right outside our tent, just unzip the door and there you have the racing at any time of the day, or night ! Some how it gives you a reassurrance that you are not missing anything.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1703489)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

If you feel like that, and I can't say I blame you, then Whitlebury is not the place for you. There is a gate between the campsite and Silverstone but I doubt it will be open, which means a 10 min drive from campsite to circuit main gate.

If they are letting cars onto the perimeter road then go for it and hope the jobsworths are taking the evening off.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1703694)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair enough, although having stayed in Whittlebury Hall, I did happily wake up to the sound of Formula Fords, so although you can't open the tent onto the cars like Le Mans, you can still hear them!
Old 6 Sep 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1703751)   #20
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am really looking forward to the event. I am racing the Eclipse Mosler so hope to keep up with Shorty.

See you all there. The only downside is that I can't be at Oulton to support the Moose Trophy...
Old 6 Sep 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1703753)   #21
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got media acreditation for the event and with access to a Brookland suite, my weekend is much sorted...and comfortable aswell

Looking forward to a great weekend of race.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1703960)   #22
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone have an entry list for the event or info on the support races? Will there be sport 2000, dutch supercars Porsches etc all racing on friday?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1703964)   #23
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar
Anyone have an entry list for the event or info on the support races? Will there be sport 2000, dutch supercars Porsches etc all racing on friday?
Mopar, go to www.eerc.co.uk where you will find full info. Friday has two races for Dutch Supercars and one Britsports, plus night qualification for Britcars.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1704270)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

I case you can't find it.
http://www.eerc.co.uk/cms/e107_files...4hr%202006.pdf
Final Instructions with timetable, entry lists etc

Some interesting machinery in the DSC race.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1704340)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't carp about Silverstone, lack of camping facilities or any other facet of the 24, get along and support the EERC who are staging the event. They deserve OUR support, it is about time that we had a top class 24 hour in this country.
IF you are a MOTOR SPORT enthusiast you have to lay your body on the line at times and put up with a bit of discomfort for the sake of the sport.

Try cycling down to Goodwood from North London, watching a nine hour race that finishes at midnight and then cycle home again.

Get to Silverstone for the Grand Prix at about 1.0am and sleep in a bicycle cape on the verge to be first in.

Us Old Timers had it hard, the modern youth doesn't know it's born.

See you there lads.

Your Country Needs You.