Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 10 Sep 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1707435)   #1
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Britcarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Britcar 24 Hours Photos

My efforts can be seen here: http://rsmp.zenfolio.com/f173466712/

A few examples below:

Old 10 Sep 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1707442)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice shots.

http://rsmp.zenfolio.com/p287726179/?photo=741311835

It's me! (1639)
Old 10 Sep 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1707446)   #3
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Britcarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Mike. I am still learning, only started photography 4 months ago. Which one is you by the way?

Ray.

Edited to add: I cannot actually believe I just asked Which one is you by the way? when your post already answers that question. Sorry I am tired, not surprising after spending the weekend at a 24 hour race.

Last edited by Britcarfan; 10 Sep 2006 at 22:21.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1707452)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same here, I've been up since 8.30am yesterday (Saturday)...
Old 11 Sep 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1707490)   #5
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
love the two mosler photos
especially the twinkle of the headlights on the second one

only comment would be that i'd like to see a lower shutter speed to make the cars look like they are moving fast
Old 11 Sep 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1708014)   #6
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcarfan
Thanks Mike. I am still learning, only started photography 4 months ago. Which one is you by the way?

Ray.
Very good photos. How did you get media access with such little experience? It may help others wishing to take their motorsport photography further.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1708134)   #7
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperjack
Very good photos. How did you get media access with such little experience? It may help others wishing to take their motorsport photography further.
Exactly the question I was going to ask - NB great photos
Old 11 Sep 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1708147)   #8
Marc27
Rookie

Marc27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my attempts from the weekend. Sadly as I need to save some Flickr bandwidth I haven't uploaded as many as I would like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1919366...7594279493058/
Old 12 Sep 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1709126)   #9
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got in some viewing of the 24hrs after sunset, I had a go at some time lapse night shots Just had to be done! I didnt get many 'keepers', but what I did get you can see at www.dcb-images.co.uk and by going to my gallery. Let me know what you think, they are by no means perfect so I expect criticism!
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1709189)   #10
Snapperjack
Racer

Snapperjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
I got in some viewing of the 24hrs after sunset, I had a go at some time lapse night shots Just had to be done! I didnt get many 'keepers', but what I did get you can see at www.dcb-images.co.uk and by going to my gallery. Let me know what you think, they are by no means perfect so I expect criticism!
Very good but that is not time lapse photography it is long exposure.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1709223)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There does seem to be a whole host of "photographers" that come out from nowhere to do the 24hrs who have never been seen during the year and are never seen again until perhaps the next years event so I wonder what accreditation is needed for the event-anyway if you get in then well done! I do wonder however what the need was for a college chappy armed with a large video camera along with an assistant with a normal camera-I was a little puzzled by that I must admit and what was gained by them being there that weekend? .... Here's some Dutch imput from the weekend
Attached Thumbnails
BA - Crash 3a (Euser Ducth race) aaa.jpg   BA-AUT  Nightbirds - of the Dutch variety! aaa.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1709264)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
That one of Cor binning the Marcos is awesome Baz! We were sitting in the press room at the time, so it happened right in front of us, but you've probably got the shot of the weekend there!

My teaser gallery is online : http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/Gal...4_teaser/album
Old 13 Sep 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1709364)   #13
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone get a photo of the girls on the podium after all the champers had been sprayed about?
Old 13 Sep 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1709383)   #14
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on the pitwall when that Marcos came at me. I don't remember much else other than looking the other way as it made its impact infront of me.

I have the before:
Old 13 Sep 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1709384)   #15
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperjack
Very good but that is not time lapse photography it is long exposure.
Yes your right, I was wrong. Im a bit of a newbie getting my terminology all mixed up Thanks for correcting me!
Old 13 Sep 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1709468)   #16
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw that the gate was locked for the cage underneath the footbridge about 20 mins before the Dutch race start and it didn't look as though it was ever going to be opened-the marshals knew nothing about so went up to race control and asked Bernie Cottrell (COC) if he could see to it...it was opened about 10 minutes later which was great timing as the Dutch cars had just lined-up! I got a sequence as the shunt started there and it ended with cars ploughing through marker boards for Copse...the longest shunt I'd ever seen I reckon!! It was caused due to Cor doing a huge burn-out away from the line on the green flag lap which weakened a driveshaft (Mike Jordan guessed he reason before I spoke to Cor!) and as he planted his foot down on the real start it broke sending him sideways and hopefully a few quid for me!
Attached Thumbnails
BA - Crash 7 (Euser Ducth race) aaa.jpg   BA-AUT  keeping the evening temperatures up at the 24hrs aaa.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1709545)   #17
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaf1
I was on the pitwall when that Marcos came at me. I don't remember much else other than looking the other way as it made its impact infront of me.
WTF were you doing on the pit wall for a race start? This is forbidden and you now know why.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1709546)   #18
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
There does seem to be a whole host of "photographers" that come out from nowhere to do the 24hrs who have never been seen during the year and are never seen again until perhaps the next years event so I wonder what accreditation is needed for the event-anyway if you get in then well done!...
Baz, been wondering that myself, it seems anyone was allowed accreditation, and I even know of a forum losely associated with the MG-lola website getting in on a blag.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1709684)   #19
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Baz, been wondering that myself, it seems anyone was allowed accreditation, and I even know of a forum losely associated with the MG-lola website getting in on a blag.
They obtained accreditation entirely on their own merits, and not because of any association with the mg-lola website (which is a tenuous link anyway, but that's by-the-by). If you check the forum in question, you'll also discover that it's also part of a recently established newsgathering and information website, and while that may have had an MG bias in the past, it is now dedicated to the broader topic of sportscar racing in general.

We all had to start somewhere, even you Jase, and from what I know of the guys in question, one is a semi-professional photographer who is now branching out into motorsport. He's intent on covering races on a regular basis, and provided he does that through the right channels, I for one am prepared to wish him well. (I don't know the other guy, so can't comment). At least they had some sensible kit and worked their way through the entire 24 hours of the race. My greater concern was to see "photographers" (mainly in the pitlane, I admit, but that's worse in my book) with pocket digitals and videocams. How on earth did they get tabards?

Another consideration we ought to give to these pop-out-the-woodwork photographers is that the Britcar 24 brings together a far wider range of motorsport disciplines than we'd usually encounter around the racetrack. Yes, I saw a lot of faces last weekend that I've not seen before, but one I spoke to admitted he didn't normally go to GT events (which is where I work) and so I wouldn't have met him on my normal rounds anyway. I am sure he wasn't alone. Conversely, I expect there were several people who didn't know me, even though I've been accredited for more than 15 years, because these days I concentrate on international series - FIA, LMS, Le Mans etc. (When I started working British GT there were only about half a dozen of us anyway and the Good Lord came to me for advice. Those were the days!)

It's a great privilege to be awarded accreditation, and it's something that should never be taken lightly, but neither should it be a closed shop.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1709705)   #20
jase
Veteran

I happily stand corrected, I got the information from another member of the forum who told me they were going to 'try it on' and I apologise for bismirching them.

*shuffles off to hide in the corner*

Last edited by jase; 13 Sep 2006 at 18:26.
Old 13 Sep 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1709757)   #21
Gadget-Guy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes.UK.
Gadget-Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I applied for accreditation and had no luck for this event,was asked for proof of at least 3 published pics of brit car and a letter from an editor of the magazine i would be shooting for.As this would of been my first brit car meeting it was impossible to supply any images and they would not accept other published work from other forms of motorsport! Sent out 20 e-mails and had no responce to any of them to other outlets for motorsport images connected with brit car.I take pictures at Silverstone and other tracks on a regular basis for other club level sites and magazines but then it still was the same at GP Masters as there were at least 10 accredited people using point and shoot cams.Makes you wonder why you invest in so much equipment yet alone the insurance for public liability etc.

Fair game to those who get accreditation but it would help if there was a bit more checking on insurance etc and from a safety point of view of where and how to behave when taking pictures in what can be a dangerous enviroment for all involved be it Marshalls,competitors or media .
Old 14 Sep 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1709861)   #22
Ian-ZTT
Rookie

Ian-ZTT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello..

Hi my name is Ian, I come from the Blag site!

This thread was brought to my attention as I did not even relise you *****ing paps was here! I would be very interested to find out who the source of "Trying it on" is so I joined..

I have been advised by a few people not to get involved and make the situation worse but all find the post that we blagged this gig quite offensive.

I personally have been supporting Endurance racing for many years and find that posts on here (quite flattering on 1 hand and then very annoying) saying as I are some sort of newbe chanceer..

I applied through the correct path and got us in and hopefully will put us in good steed for 2007 to support a race and not a hot shot 1 time crash expert..

How many of you are going to fly to Spain to support LMS? I guess non..

I regonise a few names even in just this thread and realise the rudeness you display with your attitude on here and behind your cams..

Get on with it dudes and pat each other on the back, but remember to respect the race teams, go chase Jordan for your buzz please do not disrespect genuine race fans!!!!

Ian.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 06:43 (Ref:1709946)   #23
jase
Veteran

Ian, as above, I apologise for the mis-information supplied to me, unfortunately it was a conversation rather than a chat on msgr. I certainly won't be trusting that source of information again.

As for being a "one off" I can tell you i'm not, I have been following endurance racing for years and have been at 2 of the LMS races this year, unfortunately i do not have enough vacation time left to go to Jarama.

Keep up the good work and please post links to images.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 07:08 (Ref:1709956)   #24
Ian-ZTT
Rookie

Ian-ZTT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jase..

Hi Jase no problem, I find it quite flattering we got a mention and it has made me smile. I have a thought who maybe you got the info from but please be assurred we are not fly by night wanabees and try to support Sportscar racing as much as we can and on our forum BTCC has a big following, I myself prefer endurance racing.

The weekend was amazing with virtually 32hrs nonstop racing including support races, the marshalls worked very long hours and the teams put in amazing job to get their cars throught to the end and this type of racing is the only opportunity we get to try long exposure etc...

Hopefully we can all promote this event with what we do with the images around www land, I noticed when we returned our Tabards the list of photgraphers etc was longer than the spectator attendance!!

All the best for now and nice to meet you..

Ian.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1710040)   #25
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i've spoken to quite a few of those guys with Point and Shoot cameras, and although the snobby/jealous side of me wants to have a problem with them, there is no problem to be had.
Most of them are Journalists from local papers, or papers local to teams of drivers.
I do think, however that maybe there should be some kind of test or briefing for those photographers that arent experienced. Not everyone knows anything about motorsports and doesnt know where its safe to stand.
Last year one camera crew at one event was asking if its ok to walk along the pit straight during the race.

however, i do see some of the very experienced photographers standing in the dumbest dangerous places. but i guess if you are desperate for a good shot then its worth risking your life