Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Sep 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2007852)   #76
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got home about an hour ago. What a fantastic event, I wasn't sure I was going to stay to the end but I did. If you have not seen the result the Duller Motorsport BMW Z4 finished first and the Top Gear car finished 3rd in class with Jezza taking the flag when he got back to Parc Ferme he was meet by James May who gave him a beer.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 19:50 (Ref:2007878)   #77
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great time. This was my third Britcar 24 and can't wait for next year. Did pits/startline then flagging at Woodcote Gap. Wonderful watching the cars through Woodcote, especially the Jag XKR which whistles first then roars once it passes you.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 11:42 (Ref:2008431)   #78
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Top Gear finished third in class.
And for info, the three presenters all have National B licnces, while Stig has an International B.

Apparently four different Stigs signed on, presumably to add to the air of mystery.
Actually only three Stigs signed on and were know to the pit marshalls by their real names, but I'm not at liberty to say who they were, only that one of them had to relieve himself in the car!( just before Richard Hammond got in I believe!)
Old 10 Sep 2007, 12:34 (Ref:2008475)   #79
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of interest how many spectators were there for this event ? Could not make it due to prior commitments myself though i wanted to !!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 12:50 (Ref:2008489)   #80
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what said on the PA they had 4000 people through the gate on Saturday, not sure about yesterday. I think thats a good crowd.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 13:57 (Ref:2008523)   #81
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there on Saturday, and 4000 seems generous. It wasn't nearly as busy as the British GT meeting recently.

I enjoyed the event and will look to attend in 2008. The one thing that needs sorting is the quality and availability of catering. A greasy burger is acceptable if you are just at the track for a single meal during a normal one day meeting but for a 24hr event some variety is needed.

(Or perhaps the combination of darkness and motor racing just makes me crave tartiflette)
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2008528)   #82
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
From what said on the PA they had 4000 people through the gate on Saturday, not sure about yesterday. I think thats a good crowd.
I would doubt there was 4000 people, including every team member, guest, Silverstone worker, marshal, official and spectator there on Saturday, let alone just the paying punters....unless they counted everyone going back and forward to their cars during the day and night as spectators weren't allowed to drive into the circuit (although there was acres of space for many thousands).
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:07 (Ref:2008532)   #83
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Here is how my experience at the 24 hour went

Friday : arrived at 9am, went to find team and meet evryone, put tent up over by the first corner, watched first quali from garage, cars are looking good, 30mins before second qual, have to be kitted up for night qualifing, there will be 3 of us doing refulling. We did 8 stops in 2 hours, eveything went well, then the yellow TVR, came in, with no team to refule them, the driver shouted fire fire fire fire, so all the ERRC mashalls was on the car with extingushers, put out in a couple of mins, they did a awsome job, and then the car was picked up and taken back to their garage to fixed, whilst our cars qualified 50th and 57th.

Saturday and sunday, my first shift of refulling went like this, 6pm - 8pm, 3am - 8am and 12pm to 4:30pm. the cars were good, i managed to get 1hour sleep, and no real dameage to cars, race went well and are refulling went well and we were just as fast as the leading teams. Also the race was stopped from about 5:30am - 7:15am due to heavy fog.

Towards the ned of the race I started to feel sick with a bad headache, believed I did not drink enogh water, was sick on the way home in the car, what a way to round out a very cool weekend

In the end we finish 18th and 19th overall after staring in 50th and 57th, our cars was 3rd and 4th in class as well

Thanks for reading
James
Old 10 Sep 2007, 15:37 (Ref:2008597)   #84
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I have finally got some photos from this great event online, they can be found at http://www.rdj-pics.co.uk/Photos/200...urs/index.html
Old 10 Sep 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2008643)   #85
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesd
In the end we finish 18th and 19th overall after staring in 50th and 57th, our cars was 3rd and 4th in class as well
My mate Neil was your pit co-ord/radio and Nick was was your re-fueller, both of whom I had the pleasure of going to LeMans with this year. Glad you finished so well and in great shape compared to some of the other competitors!

I was in the Pit lane marshalling(guy in big hat) and had many stops at your garage to find out how your cars were doing. Thanks to all who chatted to me and kept me informed!

Good luck next year!(if you enter!!!)
Old 10 Sep 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2008814)   #86
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thouroughly enjoyed it. In terms of actual racing, it compared favourably with the real thing - a German car winning by miles, early flashes of brilliance (after traditional sheets of unreliability) from a British car (the Sagaris), Hindhaugh and some posh blokes on the PA, the I really-really-want-them-to-win-ness even though their car is a stupid colourness of Rollcentre....

Camped at Whittlebury for two nights. Didn't realise my trusty LM microradio only got FM.... Was asleep when the race got fogged - have just learnt that from the thread - 'though I'm not surprised, the field to left of the path back to the campsite appeared to be full of cotton wool at about 2.15 am, while the Copse grandstands in the near distance were still in clearish air.

Great mixture; and the relatively undeveloped cars mean that for the spectator, some drivers really entertain. Whoever the Stig his, he/she can certainly drive. Likewise the Saxon diesel and the 5-door Civic (!) - sadly I don't know who was driving what at the time, but I saw some incredible car control out there. How come the TG alone car ran with such a huge wing? And who came up the 'Peniston' sponsorship on the nearside? I can't be alone in seeing the near-limitless schoolboy humour that could be milked (ooer) from that one.

As a vegetarian, I only get to sample the button-press coffee of the so-called
'food' outlets. We often consider 24-hour races a pilgrimage, but add vegetarianism and you can have pennance and self-flagellation too.
Bargain.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 21:33 (Ref:2008867)   #87
phatphoto
Rookie

United Kingdom
phatphoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Large gallery of over 350 photos just added http://www.phatphoto.com/phatgallery...php?cat_id=208 photos from the grid, pits and on track action. Photos are labelled with car number where possible so should be reasonably easy to find. I will be adding some more shots including some from the support program over the next couple of days.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2008910)   #88
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rdjones & phatphoto great shooting
Old 11 Sep 2007, 06:29 (Ref:2009046)   #89
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella
And who came up the 'Peniston' sponsorship on the nearside? I can't be alone in seeing the near-limitless schoolboy humour that could be milked (ooer) from that one.
I think it's nothing other than schoolboy humour - wouldn't be the first time TG have done that...
Old 11 Sep 2007, 07:03 (Ref:2009056)   #90
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I think it's nothing other than schoolboy humour - wouldn't be the first time TG have done that...
The sponsors were different on each side! PENISTON OILS on one side and LARSEONS BUSCUITS on the other I'll leave you to figure out what was on each door!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 07:35 (Ref:2009073)   #91
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
The sponsors were different on each side! PENISTON OILS on one side and LARSEONS BUSCUITS on the other I'll leave you to figure out what was on each door!
It's why we love TG!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 08:06 (Ref:2009112)   #92
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As they're not allowed to advertise on the BBC, they had to put something on the car. I have a feeling we'll see a picture of the car with the doors open and a presenter standing behind each door, I wonder who'll get what?
Old 11 Sep 2007, 08:15 (Ref:2009118)   #93
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We were there for the Saturday only. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't been to a 'National' race meeting for a number of years and ended up asking myself "why not?".

The support races were hugely entertaining, especially the visiting Dutch Supercars who put on a fantastic show. Also loved the Sports 2000 cars, great fun (and good to see John Finch still mixing it, he seems to have been around forever!).

We watched the first hour or so of the main event from the grandstands. No, not exactly Le Mans by way of spectacle, but the racing was gripping and fiercely competitive in all classes. If one car stood out for me, it was the Sagaris. What a beast! If there had been speed traps, I'd wager it was the quickest of the GT3's in a straight line. A shame then, that we were robbed of the chance to see Michael Caine mixing it with Duller, Rollcentre and Chad in the early part of the race.

But, why so few spectators? Despite the best efforts of Daily Sportscar (entry at the DSC subscribers promotional rate for me and my two 15 year old lads came to a giveaway £10 for the three of us), there were just a few hundred spectators in the grandstands for the start, the majority opposite the Top Gear garage, and the circuit away from the pits straight was all but deserted. Criminal! Perhaps the Football, Rugby and Cricket played a part in this? For those who 'nearly' went, but didn't, I'd urge you to make the effort next year. It's a wonderful event, worthy of a far bigger crowd. I felt genuinely gutted for the organisers who clearly worked so hard to put this event together.

If the Le Mans Series is the best kept secret in 'International' motor racing, the Britcar 24 Hours must be the best kept secret in 'National' Racing!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 08:21 (Ref:2009128)   #94
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It probably didn't help that the Renault Festival, less than an hours drive away at Donington Park, was free. 135,000 people went to that, making it the third biggest motorsport event (on spectator numbers) of the year.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 08:33 (Ref:2009141)   #95
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Seems to me that a fair lack of advertising in national press and such may be resposible for the lack in spectator numbers and marketing will have to work harder to pull in the crowds. Freebie tickets are all well and good as good will gestures but how many locals are true motorsport fans? Sure a few will turn up to see what all the fuss is about but the majority of fans are from further afield. Advertising in MSN and Autosport as well as the national newspapers may catch some more attention but I know the cost has to be justified. We, the enthusiasts, use word of mouth and the forums to spread the word but its still a far cry from proper advertising.

Rant over.

BTW thanks again to JT and the EERC crew for a superb event. I had a ball in the pitlane!

Also, I just heard the news on my local radio (CITY 96.7 Liverpool) that Richard Hammond has crashed again!!!!!!!! He fell off into the kitty litter same as just about every one else and got shunted by a viper but no-one else gets a mention! I wonder,is really news worthy stuff?????
Old 11 Sep 2007, 10:28 (Ref:2009203)   #96
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Looks like the BBC News Online have picked up Hamster's little off on Saturday night - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6988623.stm

BTW it was the Chad Racing Molser that he hit not the Viper
Old 11 Sep 2007, 10:41 (Ref:2009211)   #97
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Looks like the BBC News Online have picked up Hamster's little off on Saturday night - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6988623.stm

BTW it was the Chad Racing Molser that he hit not the Viper
The Sun is even dumber
Old 11 Sep 2007, 10:52 (Ref:2009217)   #98
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What you mean about Clarkson being there when he got out? Or driving the car back under it's own steam or going off on his own?

Oh well we knew they were crooks!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2009387)   #99
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
What you mean about Clarkson being there when he got out? Or driving the car back under it's own steam or going off on his own?

Oh well we knew they were crooks!
Clarkson was there when he got out
Old 11 Sep 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2009805)   #100
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
The Sun is even dumber
LOL and i thought that the BBC journalism was bad