Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Jun 2004, 01:07 (Ref:992151)   #1
Straightup
Rookie

Straightup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Broadcast Team Change

Bob Jenkins will no longer be calling OWRS races. No replacement has been named as of yet from what I understand. I'm not sure about Kendall. Maybe Daly will be stepping into the booth?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 01:20 (Ref:992155)   #2
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your sources?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 02:23 (Ref:992175)   #3
Straightup
Rookie

Straightup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Source: A close associate. I presume there will be some announcement within a day.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 02:35 (Ref:992179)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope you're right. Maybe the petition worked! I don't want Daily stepping in place.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 03:37 (Ref:992197)   #5
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Hope you're right. Maybe the petition worked! I don't want Daily stepping in place.
Personally I want to have DD in the booth rather than Jenkins.

Forum Rules, as found in the FAQ...
"...you will not use this BB to post any material which is...defamatory...abusive, vulgar..."

Last edited by macdaddy; 3 Jun 2004 at 04:55.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 03:45 (Ref:992199)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's only a rumour, but a strong one at that! Stolen from another forum........

Bob Jenkins given walking papers**In an Autoracing1.com exclusive, our sources tell us that after just two races,* Rick Benjamin will replace Bob Jenkins as anchorman for the Champ Car races effective immediately.* Jenkins was simply out of touch with Champ Car and it was clear his real love is the Indy 500 and hence the IRL. *Mark C.

Hey Flatspot, can you please tell me who Rick Benjamin is again?!
Old 3 Jun 2004, 04:04 (Ref:992208)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 3 Jun 2004, 05:33 (Ref:992247)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no problem personally with Bob Jenkins, as I have always thought he was a good commentator. It's clear that his true interests lie elsewhere and he needs or needed to go.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 07:14 (Ref:992308)   #9
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick Benjamin would be a major step down from Bob Jenkins. Why can't they get Bob Varsha?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 07:35 (Ref:992330)   #10
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Varsha is under contract with SPEED. Plus, considering that some of the Champ Car races coincide with F1 races, he can't be at the SPEED studios and the CC race at the same time.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 08:53 (Ref:992391)   #11
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the petition already been sent?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 15:33 (Ref:992826)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just saying that while I want Jenkins replaced, I think we can do better than Daily.

Rick Benjamin...Wasn't he that guy who was the new pit reporter with Bekus (sp?) during the Monterrey race?

I guess they didn't realize tha I was available to call the race with TK. (SpikeTV, if you're reading this PM me for pricing details)
Old 3 Jun 2004, 16:27 (Ref:992878)   #13
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if its true, I'm glad Jenkins is gone. It would nice to have Varsha although thats just not going to happen. I really dislike Derek Daly, I think he is very unprofessional when interviewing drivers and having the camera focus in on the sweat marks left behind on the pit wall from a drivers behind. Or trying to get closeups of the drivers hands to show blisters after every race.

Last edited by jjspierx; 3 Jun 2004 at 16:28.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 16:34 (Ref:992889)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO I thought that Rick Benjamin did a very good job working the pits in Mexico and would be very competent as a race announcer. We can at least give him a chance!
Old 8 Jun 2004, 23:58 (Ref:997925)   #15
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy- I see you closed the other thread where I posted... I guess I must have been sleeping under a rock and missed this earlier thread about Jenkins being dismissed. Oh well... sorry for the redundancy.

I thought Rick Benjamin did a credible job at Milwaukee. He's got the energy level to keep up with TK. He's focused and doesn't make bumbling errors with names and descriptions of what is currently being seen by the viewers.

It was good to see Calvin Fish back along with Derek Daly. I don't understand what all the flap is by some posters about Derek- he probably has more knowledge and experience than all the other commentators and would-be commentators (read posters) combined when it comes to driving, setups, things to watch out for, etc. Give him credit for his experience, Irish charm and humor. He is a real asset to the broadcast in my opinion. My favorite is when he and TK mix it up- a sideshow within the race!

In my ideal world, Varsha would be back on top, but since that ain't gonna happen, I'm content with the setup as it now sits. Bring on Portland!!

Last edited by BobbyB; 9 Jun 2004 at 00:06.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 03:13 (Ref:998004)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Daily is REALLY annoying. He's a younger, british version of Bobby Unser. Both guys have to know their stuff, but they always come across as not knowing much. Quiet often they say things that is wrong or ridiculous. They must know better, but they do it on the broadcast. There are also dumb it down to the point where they're patronizing everyone. "Do you know what a tire is? Cars have tires."
Old 9 Jun 2004, 10:36 (Ref:998249)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daly's not British.

He's from Ireland.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 13:11 (Ref:998421)   #18
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How was did Rick Benjamin at the task?

In Oz we got Jeremy Shaw this time, seems like a nice guy, just not the greatest comentator, and the fact that there was only him most of the time doesn't help.

I was looking forward to the new team, since we got Bob Jenkins and Tommy Kendall? in the first two races .

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:30 (Ref:998507)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeremy Shaw knows his stuff, but he's too prone to going off on a tangent or a rant.

He's better as the second guy, with a good lead commentator alongside.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:08 (Ref:998601)   #20
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
I've never heard Jeremy Shaw commentate but he is a very knowledgable man. I've met him several times at race and competions in California. He was scouting for the Red Bull driver search a few months ago at one of my races. After dominating the first race of the weekend he came up and talked to me for a bit, and mentioned the Red Bull thing and asked how old I was. He was dissapointed when I told him I was 23, too old for the program.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:09 (Ref:998602)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

You should've said you were 19.

Many drivers have shaved a few years off their age.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:19 (Ref:998613)   #22
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Rick Benjamin did an excellent job. Very knowledgeable and proper pronunciations. So far, he is my pick to stay.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 19:04 (Ref:998875)   #23
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Actually 17 is the cutoff now for the Red Bull Driver search.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 00:55 (Ref:999213)   #24
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69

In Oz we got Jeremy Shaw this time, seems like a nice guy, just not the greatest comentator, and the fact that there was only him most of the time doesn't help.

I was looking forward to the new team, since we got Bob Jenkins and Tommy Kendall? in the first two races .
Bring back Lee Diffy eh? Hell even Stephen Cox (Remember when Ryan "Newman" did that pass?)

Plus points to Shaw though for getting the word out that "CART is looking to more ovals no only in america - WOOHOO!"

PS: if you've listened to the Webcasts, or go and watch the Speed on demand - they have Shaw and Diffy doing the calls - great stuff!

Last edited by Hazza; 10 Jun 2004 at 00:55.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:41 (Ref:999302)   #25
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69

I was a bit miffed as well when I discovered that we had the International feed. I wanted to see how the Benjamin/ Kendall combo would work.

But having said that, nothing was lost by having Jeremy Shaw commentate. He is a very top notch qualifier; knows his stuff, can communicate it, is enthusiastic without being over the top. He does a great job.