Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 May 2012, 08:48 (Ref:3074707)   #351
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Without more power or the power it should have, the car isn't going to go any quicker, but maybe using the fuel range capability, we could go for two stops or maybe even one? Just needs drivers to be able to do 3hrs without cramp or falling asleep......
Cramp only started in the second 1/12 hour stint whilst behind the safety car, so if everyone behaves and we don't need a safety car it shouldn't be a problem, but as for falling asleep..........
Old 15 May 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3074723)   #352
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Wow 17mpg is better than I get in my road car

So if we'd have used my XJS we would have got through three times as much fuel, another set of tyres and God knows how much oil
Yes but 924 hasn't got a s/c V8 and doesn't weigh 2.5 tonnes!

Your XJS would be fun though, but possibly need to up the race budget and pit crew....

944S2 or if the cut off date changes a 968 would be good choice with minimal mods.

The n/a VW LT engine is not very tuneable, Peter. Very strong, though, hence the Le Mans turbo cars producing huge output with reliability. The PDA Tyre supplier says 27 psi hot for my car, which meant starting at about 23 psi on the cold track!

Old 15 May 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3074724)   #353
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thank you John for once again taking time to post your photos and give us a report! Since the race I have listened to the whole Radio Le Mans podcast and if any prospective entrants havn't got the message by now on what is required to do well in this race, listen to John & Nick!

We know that the winning 325 is a very standard car mechanically, but I didn't have time to find out much about the very smart 'Rusty Nail' Golf during the w/end. However, have just read the Production GTI race series regs to find out what it is all about. Very similar to the Porsche 924 PDA championship with limited power (160bhp for 16 valve), standard brakes & gearbox, minimum weight with driver etc..... Another IDEAL car for the 360, as shown by Rusty's pace and reliability. OK, they had to replace pads and at least one tyre during second stop (luckily under SC so saved some time!) but if they had driven with slightly less enthusiasm maybe the originals would have lasted!

Having had time to inspect Tango and do some figures, the 924 averaged over 17mpg, the front pads are 2/3 worn after this year AND last years race, (OK, 4hrs last year!) rear shoes perfect, and tyres good to do several more short races or next year's qualifying. So, new pads, order some tyres, change the oil and we are good for next year.....

Without more power or the power it should have, the car isn't going to go any quicker, but maybe using the fuel range capability, we could go for two stops or maybe even one? Just needs drivers to be able to do 3hrs without cramp or falling asleep......
Thank you Mike...if anyone has the concept of the 360, you (and actually most on here) have...and its great to see.

Yes, Jody did win and after three years of "Coming Second" I think we all agree ...he deserved it...HOWEVER...I will remind him next time he moans about someone else maybe bending the rules....that people in glass houses...should not be spilling petrol all over the grid"!!!...and lets not even begin to discuss the timings of his driver changes.

One of the things that we really want to do is to make it as fair for four drivers as it is for two, so that we dont discourage two driver teams, but, we dont put off four driver teams also, so we will be looking at the regulations with regards to driver changes etc. because its only going to be so long before Mr Hales straps an Esso tanker to the rear of his BMW and doesnt need to stop at all!!

One thing is for deffinate, The "Races within a Race" concept worked and worked well. We would probably look to limit numbers so that the field is proportionate (we dont really want 30 Caterhams and five saloons do we) but we do believe that making this race more accessable to the masses is the way forward. We will look at additional classes in 2013, with additional podiums (that is the important bit we think...everyone needs to have a goal to aim for!) and also (as we have done with the baby 360) we will look at other possible venues as well as Snett (NOT instead of)

John, thank you for your posts now dust off that E28 and GET TO BRANDS MAN!!

ta
C
Old 15 May 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3074751)   #354
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Thank you Mike...if anyone has the concept of the 360, you (and actually most on here) have...and its great to see.

A pleasure, Claire. Having done all three 360s am starting to get the idea!

Having categories with separate podiums- all sound great. Happens in Le Mans type races- LMP1 & 2, etc- then you have the different GT categories in their races and of course Spa 6 hrs has the Eau Rouge Trophy.

Minimum number of pit stops or reducing max time any one driver can be in car? That would even it up but still allow fuel strategy....

Old 15 May 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3074752)   #355
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Is that back of a fag packet in a Little Chef?
Breakfast table on the back of cereal packet, but close enough. You're clearly not a Hitch-Hikers' Guide devotee
Old 15 May 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3074758)   #356
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
If they are Toyos you need to run them at max 32psi hot.

Surely 50bhp is possible with blueprinting and better breathing?

Also I think better dampers, bushes and suspension geometry would also find a few seconds.

But all up I think a 944 would provide better scope with less effort, and you can now sell the 924 for 165 quid as a race finisher.
Better driving skills would help me as much. My last race was the 2010 360 on the old track, I'm a bit rusty. Became a bit of a hindrance when I took the old line through Coram - thankfully those CL pads are bl**dy good

Actually, I expect bringing the engine up to the original 125bhp would find plenty of time, never mind the PDA-spec cam and vernier timing gear. There weren't many problems in the handling dept, it seemed to out-turn MGD's well enough and hung on to Tango in the quick bends. Possibly rebuild the dampers and we'll sort the rear end out on co-driver Chris's www.absolutealignment.co.uk machinery. We weren't using much more than 4,200 rpm for the majority of the race after Chris buzzed it when he went sideways on the kerbs at Williams.

See, I'm already thinking like a racing driver again and I vowed just to enjoy what I had, not get dragged into the arms race
Old 15 May 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3074783)   #357
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The advantage of a 924 in brscc/pda spec is that they are reasonably light, reliable and give about 140 bhp with the Piper cam. The 924turbo didn't have the greatest reputation for reliability when in production and may suffer with over heating issues in a racer. No intercooler either. The 924S would be good choice, especially if combined with the brscc/pda lightweight panels and plastic hatch and 'glass'. There,so also a Piper cam for that engine that gives about 190bhp. Clearly this cam would also be available for the 944.

The 944 s2 has the advantage of ABS which may be useful in an endurance race, but my choices would be a 944 turbo - 300bhp is easy and reliable and ituses the huge brakes (and abs) from the 928/911(993)
Old 15 May 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3074786)   #358
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A pleasure, Claire. Having done all three 360s am starting to get the idea!

Minimum number of pit stops or reducing max time any one driver can be in car? That would even it up but still allow fuel strategy....

our thought exactly
Old 15 May 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3074795)   #359
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Breakfast table on the back of cereal packet, but close enough. You're clearly not a Hitch-Hikers' Guide devotee
Ah! The penny drops.
Old 15 May 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3074834)   #360
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
.......(we dont really want 30 Caterhams and five saloons do we) ......C
why ever not?
if it fills the grid and lowers the entry fee then bring it on...
Old 15 May 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3074835)   #361
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Mike see yr PM
Old 15 May 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3074919)   #362
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Mike see yr PM
Got it! Have now responded.

Andy, I've got a 924S road car that am just about to sell to Max / midgetman. 160K miles so just run in.....
Old 15 May 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3074957)   #363
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:

Andy, I've got a 924S road car that am just about to sell to Max / midgetman. 160K miles so just run in.....
No you haven't. At least, you may have a 924S but you're not about to sell it tp me I think I've tried Mrs MM's patience quite enough, and strangely I quite enjoy being married......
Old 17 May 2012, 09:03 (Ref:3075594)   #364
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
John, thank you for your posts now dust off that E28 and GET TO BRANDS MAN!!

ta
C
Yesterday, I wrote a very long response to several of the posts on here but then got kicked off and lost the whole lot. Somewhat lost motivation after that! However, thought I'd respond to the above if nothing else, since I'm assuming I'm the 'John' referred to. To put not too fine a point on it, I have:

1) No ARDS
2) No current race gear whatsoever
3) No E28
4) No money to address any of the above following the outcome of grossly unfair divorce proceedings (why does the innocent party continue to be the victim - seems to be the norm in this country, and not just with divorces either).

So, Claire, apart from the all above 'spot on'!
Old 17 May 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3075598)   #365
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yesterday, I wrote a very long response to several of the posts on here but then got kicked off and lost the whole lot. Somewhat lost motivation after that! However, thought I'd respond to the above if nothing else, since I'm assuming I'm the 'John' referred to. To put not too fine a point on it, I have:

1) No ARDS
2) No current race gear whatsoever
3) No E28
4) No money to address any of the above following the outcome of grossly unfair divorce proceedings (why does the innocent party continue to be the victim - seems to be the norm in this country, and not just with divorces either).

So, Claire, apart from the all above 'spot on'!
I'll put you down as a maybe then?

Yes it was aimed at you but I apologise if its offended ya, not intentional xxx
Old 17 May 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3075600)   #366
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Don't worry about the ARDS John, If Claire can get one ..... anybody can!
Old 17 May 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3075610)   #367
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not offended; hence laughter at the end!

I'll let you take the flak for that one John, but for me, there is still a cost, and no point incurring it if I cannot then exploit it! Now a lottery win would change everything!
Old 17 May 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3075625)   #368
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'll let you take the flak for that one John,
I'm only that brave when she's a hundred miles away!
Old 17 May 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3075627)   #369
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yeah, fair comment, but then she takes no notice of me, anyway!
Old 17 May 2012, 09:58 (Ref:3075629)   #370
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, fair comment, but then she takes no notice of me, anyway!
Don't worry John - that's not a very exclusive club!
Old 17 May 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3075634)   #371
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yeah, when Claire talks about the 'team' she means 'Claire'
Old 17 May 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3075636)   #372
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yeah, when Claire talks about the 'team' she means 'Claire'
There's no "I" in "team".... But there's a "ME" if you juggle the letters around
Old 17 May 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3075637)   #373
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

I think she has a poster of Maggie Thatcher on her bedroom wall - says it all really?
Old 17 May 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3075640)   #374
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Old 17 May 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3075679)   #375
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I think she has a poster of Maggie Thatcher on her bedroom wall - says it all really?
Haven't we all?