Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2001, 19:45 (Ref:129304)   #1
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bennett Out

Phil Bennet has been given a one race ban after using "barging" tatics in the feature race obviously still sore from his heavy contact with Plato at Snetterton, who will replace him...

now wheres Matt Neals number!!
Old 12 Aug 2001, 20:18 (Ref:129320)   #2
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Plato got docked points wheras Bennett gets a ban-i'll have to see the incident on TV. Also, i would have thought Vauxhall would have used someone like a young driver from a support race, or even no-one at all.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 21:13 (Ref:129341)   #3
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Croft earlier today.

I saw Phill Bennett after the race, in the paddock, and he was stomping away very quickly, and didn't look too pleased!

I also saw Mick Linford, talking to some Motorsport News journalists in the Peugeot paddock (next to Soper's battered 406). He was absolutely livid with Bennett!!! The nice journalist people (!) suggested that Mick have a word with Tim Harvey, since he's also had experience of being barged by Phil. Maybe they ganged up on him, and hence the ban?!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 14:37 (Ref:129690)   #4
Matty B
Rookie

Matty B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Said journalists were merely pointing out that Mick wasn't alone in his anger, rather than suggesting they start a Phil Bennett witch-hunt.
Most journos are not really in the business of going around getting teams to gang up on each other - we do try to keep a balanced view, honest!
My personal feeling is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime...
Old 13 Aug 2001, 17:16 (Ref:129738)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Agree with you there Matt. From what I saw at the complex it was a case of too many cars too little room. The was a coming together at Tower but that was too far away to see who was to blame. Can't understand what Bennett did to deserve the ban.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 18:44 (Ref:129786)   #6
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes

Can't understand what Bennett did to deserve the ban.
Yeh your right redshoes, remember 99 when Thompson in the Honda drove Plato off the track in the Laguna when fighting with Leslie which must have been the worst act of barging tatics ever...did he get banned no, although he lost his points but Bennets tactis were never to this level of Thompson in that race.
Bennett deserves better than this..
Old 13 Aug 2001, 18:48 (Ref:129790)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
As I was at Mallory Park I haven't yet seen the move so can't really comment but, given some of the tactics employed by certain drivers in the series this year, it must have been pretty severe. If it wasn't then someone somewhere has a problem adminstering the rules fairly...
Old 13 Aug 2001, 19:04 (Ref:129808)   #8
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Unfair considering what Plato did at Snett and only got a time-penalty. It does seem unfair as mayb Phil is still being treated with less respect as he is the 'new boy'. Although he's getting bloody quick now!
Old 13 Aug 2001, 21:50 (Ref:129928)   #9
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was worse - Plato pushing Bennett down the track sideways or Bennet hitting Soper?

It doesn't seem to be punishment fitting the crime.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 07:53 (Ref:130142)   #10
Guy Goddard
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les
[B]What was worse - Plato pushing Bennett down the track sideways or Bennet hitting Soper?

Your right Les Plato's move was simply not on and he had only one thing in mind and that was to remove Bennett from the race, looking at the two incidents plato's move could have seriously hurt bennett at the speed he was going and although Bennetts tatics were hard they were not in the same danger zone as Plato.
We have seen this happen in F1 where drivers have got away with things to keep the championship alive...has BTCC gone down the same road.

Guy
Old 14 Aug 2001, 18:12 (Ref:130409)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Matty B
Said journalists were merely pointing out that Mick wasn't alone in his anger, rather than suggesting they start a Phil Bennett witch-hunt.
Most journos are not really in the business of going around getting teams to gang up on each other - we do try to keep a balanced view, honest!
My personal feeling is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime...
This is a snippet of the Pug press release... they certainly are making their views on the incident known...

Quote:
Vic Lee, Team Principal said: 'Consequently, since all the trouble with Phil Bennett, a one race ban for reckless driving is little compensation for the extensive damage his bad driving has caused. This was not a justified end to an excellent drive from Steve.'

Mick Linford, Motorsport Manager for Peugeot said: 'Once again the Peugeot team has suffered from Phil Bennett wild driving. The penalty of a single race ban seems too lenient considering this is the third time he has prevented Steve getting a good result. The damage that he has caused to our cars this year adds up to tens of thousands of pounds. Let us hope that he will now drive in a professional way like all the other drivers do, or is that too much to ask?'
Old 14 Aug 2001, 18:43 (Ref:130431)   #12
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheeky buggers!! mr bennett aint a happy chappy!! cant see why an automatic suspension is necessary should have been a one race suspended ban rather than a full blown ban!! Christ think of all those accidents in past years Menu, Ravaglia, Rydell Snetterton 1996!! Cleland vs Rydell 1996 brands hatch, simoni vs radisich in 1994 Bintcliffe on leslie 1998!! say no more

but i predict Mr Warwick to take the helm!!......
Old 14 Aug 2001, 18:48 (Ref:130436)   #13
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Pug are trying to make excuses for their own shortcomings-they have failed thisyear and are blaming Phil for it.

He does not deserve the (now two race!) ban!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 21:17 (Ref:130511)   #14
Daz
Racer

Daz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phill Bennet must stay in the BTCC BMP

I don't know what the hell is going on in the minds of BMP this year. Phill no way deserved the recent meeting ban he's got. There are others that have driven far worse, Steve Soper, Jason Plato and got away with either nothing or just a 30 second penalty.
Do BMP have a hidden agenda on this matter and are try to force Phill Bennett out of the BTCC?
Lets all show our support to the one and only Eggy Bennett, he must stay in the BTCC with Vauxhall. BMP can't be allowed to make Phill escape goat for other teams poor performing cars and drivers on track standards.

I rest my case, thank you.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 21:42 (Ref:130525)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm waiting to see the TV Coverage on this.

It may have been he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or the bumps looked like very big bangs.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 21:50 (Ref:130527)   #16
Guy Goddard
Racer

Peugeot talking rubbish

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hunttheshunt
[B]Pug are trying to make excuses for their own shortcomings-they have failed thisyear and are blaming Phil for it.

Bang on mate, Peugeot are using this as their escape plan to get the media off the fact as to why they are as slow now as at the start of the season.
I hoped Peugeot would get nothing this year after dropping Matt Neal and they have, using Phil Bennett as the escape goat will not wash with any off us on this thread who have followed BTCC.
Peugeot should not be in the sport if they are not happy with swopping paint and losing a bumper here or there they cause more damage to their cars with their own drivers mistakes!!!

Guy:confused:
Old 14 Aug 2001, 21:59 (Ref:130528)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
From the Complex it looked a little like this
Attached Thumbnails
b01024s.jpg  
Old 14 Aug 2001, 22:00 (Ref:130529)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

and by the next lap Soper's car looked like this
Attached Thumbnails
b01026s.jpg  
Old 14 Aug 2001, 22:05 (Ref:130532)   #19
fudge
Rookie

fudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you feel like protesting?

If you feel that this ban is unfair, could I please ask all attending Oulton Park to make their feelings known!
I for one will be showing my opinion with either a t.shirt or banner supporting PB!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 22:09 (Ref:130535)   #20
fudge
Rookie

Hmmmm!

Looks like Phil reversed into the Pug again!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 22:22 (Ref:130538)   #21
silverfox
Rookie

silverfox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get into the attic,find those Free Nelson Mandella teeshirts and recycle them as Justice for Phil ones.
The fans do not just have to sit and watch diabolical decisions being carried out
Old 14 Aug 2001, 22:32 (Ref:130540)   #22
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the old saying goes, rubbing is racing!

Get a grip Mr West, Most fans don't go to see an orderly procession!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 23:10 (Ref:130549)   #23
fudge
Rookie

We need Spoonerboro on this case!

C'mon Spoonerboro, I'm sure you can think up something to put on a banner at Oulton, something suitable for the 'Justice for Phil Bennett' campaigners.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 00:22 (Ref:130569)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
WOW, this reminds me of that "Free Bertrond Gacho"(F1 driver) campaign in 90/91 when he assaulted a taxi driver or something.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 10:22 (Ref:130685)   #25
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Free the Eggy one!"

I agree, t-shirts, flags the lot.

Actually Sodemo, I was in Belgium for the GP the week after Mr Gachot was incarcerated by the Brits. The locals were pretty unhappy that their only GP star wasn't racing at his home GP because we'd locked him up...

"All" he did was mace a taxi driver... living in London, I can sympathise...

Imagine if "Our Damon" had been locked up by the Belgians the week before the Silverstone GP?

RickP
"Free the Eggy one"