Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jun 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3423736)   #151
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
I dont think £1000 +, for a ratio is nothing of a cost over 3 cars or 2 when the first 3 ratios are set by the regs to start with and the team will likely have to buy the new ratio in , yes it maybe a simple slot in if the Gear set is out for inspection, but the hardware cost cannot be ignored .

Colin will still be in the hunt at Croft, rain or shine
Huh ??? WSR already have the right gear ratio. They were running the same box and ratio in the S2000T 3 series.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3423795)   #152
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Huh ??? WSR already have the right gear ratio. They were running the same box and ratio in the S2000T 3 series.
Cheap do for WSR then if they have them, I suspect they might be lifed though so Id expect them to buy new sets to reduce risk of failure , doesnt fix RAR budget strains though does it !
Old 19 Jun 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3423804)   #153
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's an awfully cynical theory. From the very beginning, Alan Gow never wanted NGTC to encompass RWD - see here. In the end he reluctantly capitulated. However, I don't imagine he envisaged one of them vying for championship honors. Maybe that's the real reason he's had to 'do something about it' now
Old 19 Jun 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3423808)   #154
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If I recall, it was new clutch parts that the S2000 WSR cars needed as they kept burning them out.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3423962)   #155
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Here's an awfully cynical theory. From the very beginning, Alan Gow never wanted NGTC to encompass RWD - see here. In the end he reluctantly capitulated. However, I don't imagine he envisaged one of them vying for championship honors. Maybe that's the real reason he's had to 'do something about it' now
The concerning thing is that this is a suitable suggestion among the list of conspiracy theories here

As has been pointed out, moves such as this were made during the Halycon Super Touring years. I do not think TOCA's organisation was described as farcial then. People have pre-conceived ideas about the BTCC and about TOCA, based on little more than unsubstantiated nonsense and circumstantial evidence. Every incident must fit this view, an Octagonal peg must fit in a Square hole. And if Jason Plato is the villain then all the better. That's the joke and it is on us.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3423970)   #156
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need to get into this whole copy and paste into multiple forums business.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3423971)   #157
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
I need to get into this whole copy and paste into multiple forums business.
It is quite simple
Old 19 Jun 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3423974)   #158
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
It is quite simple
I really don't feel the need for Jason-esque maximum coverage though. ;-)
Old 20 Jun 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3424207)   #159
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
The concerning thing is that this is a suitable suggestion among the list of conspiracy theories here

As has been pointed out, moves such as this were made during the Halycon Super Touring years. I do not think TOCA's organisation was described as farcial then. People have pre-conceived ideas about the BTCC and about TOCA, based on little more than unsubstantiated nonsense and circumstantial evidence. Every incident must fit this view, an Octagonal peg must fit in a Square hole. And if Jason Plato is the villain then all the better. That's the joke and it is on us.
I know what you're saying, but we'll always find something to moan about There's no getting away from the fact that the BTCC is in rude health at the moment. There's not a lot wrong with it, and if/when there is, Alan Gow is quick to put it right. You only need to look at the farce that's British F3 [supposedly the country's premier racing category] to see how great the BTCC is. Long may it continue !
Old 21 Jun 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3424731)   #160
BtccLee
Veteran

The only thing that concerns me coming away from Oulton is the scope for something similarly "Unique" to happen again. We as the fans often discuss seeing the cars running on Donington GP loop or a longer Silverstone configuration. However, after the outcry following Oulton's change, why risk doing such a thing again? We can say what we like about "Gow thought there would be an issue with overtaking" but the point still stands. Presntly he has ten rounds on ten different conifurations which provide fantastic racing. To a similar degree, we ask for longer "Enduro" races. No gaurantee these would provide more action, probably some less. I fear, to a degree, there is the potential argument we have shot ourselves in the foot.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3425266)   #161
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly wouldn't put BTCC on the full GP circuit at Silverstone. I think there's a good case for running them on the International, rather than the National circuit.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3425279)   #162
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I certainly wouldn't put BTCC on the full GP circuit at Silverstone. I think there's a good case for running them on the International, rather than the National circuit.
I'd like to see that. The international layout would also offer plenty of overtaking opportunities, with moves possible into almost every corner. On the national layout, you only really get a half chance into Becketts, then slightly more of a chance into Brooklands, but both of those are tough to pull off.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3425292)   #163
psq43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'd like to see that. The international layout would also offer plenty of overtaking opportunities, with moves possible into almost every corner. On the national layout, you only really get a half chance into Becketts, then slightly more of a chance into Brooklands, but both of those are tough to pull off.
If we're talking the international layout that uses the start/finish/pits area currently being used, then i imagine the missing track at Abbey, and the picnic area on the track at Bridge could be a problem

If your on about the newer layout involving the "Wing" area pits and start, then no thanks.

I like to maximise my viewing, plus I'm not in the minority who believe longer laps usually produce less exciting, less close racing with time to do the crossword between cars after the first lap is completed. A la Brands GP.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3425323)   #164
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Wing and all the infrastructure around it is nowhere near suitable for the BTCC and supports. I was there for a club meeting a couple of weekends ago, the paddock is tiny (roughly the size of the tarmac behind Donington garages - the BTCC and Porsche/Ginetta teams would fill it alone) and its definitely not suitable for spectators.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3425344)   #165
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
The Wing and all the infrastructure around it is nowhere near suitable for the BTCC and supports. I was there for a club meeting a couple of weekends ago, the paddock is tiny (roughly the size of the tarmac behind Donington garages - the BTCC and Porsche/Ginetta teams would fill it alone) and its definitely not suitable for spectators.
It's also miles from anywhere...
Old 23 Jun 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3425406)   #166
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Use the whole GP circuit from the original pits then. Plenty of overtaking opportunities and the chance for some slipstreaming on the Hangar Straight. Would love to see a touring car take on the Becketts/Maggotts complex again.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3425448)   #167
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My brother and I were talking about this the other day for some weird reason, and we figured that the lap times would be roughly the same as the Snetterton 300 circuit, so Alan Gow cannot use the "less times the fans see the cars" excuse, although Snett probably offers better viewing.

The old pits would be achievable, as they already use that, and iirc British GT use the old s/f straight anyway (they certainly used the entire GP loop with the old s/f straight in 2012). Personally I'd love to see the NGTC era take the iconic circuit, not the turbo-boost-level-dominated National loop.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3425522)   #168
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, British GT used the GP circuit from the National ( or "Heritage" ) Pits.

I spent Sunday on the GP Pit Straight, mostly on my own. It was certainly strange being there with The Wing all closed up!
Old 29 Jun 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3427843)   #169
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just seen the Menu/Plato incident, is there a worse on-track example for young drivers than Plato in the BTCC?
Old 29 Jun 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3428051)   #170
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very harsh, he misjudged the length of the Passat when he turned for the cutback. No malice in it at all in my opinion.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 06:30 (Ref:3428422)   #171
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Very harsh, he misjudged the length of the Passat when he turned for the cutback. No malice in it at all in my opinion.
He's made a fair few misjudgements in his illustrious career then!
Old 30 Jun 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3428443)   #172
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the Plato/Menu discussion belongs in the Croft thread?
Old 30 Jun 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3428575)   #173
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm not just talking about the Plato/Menu incident, I'm talking about every controversial, needless and aggressive incident Plato has been involved in during his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpymX_5Cdvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=penPyLfsWbs (love the description lol)

Incidents like these have plagued the otherwise amazing career of Plato, but they are so frequent and pointless, it makes me wonder if anyone is dirtier on the grid...
Old 6 Jul 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3430809)   #174
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Australian Triple Eight business is currently majority owned by Dane, with Triple Eight UK boss Ian Harrison holding a minority stake.

Harrison recently sold 50 percent of Triple Eight UK’s operations to British GT racer Lee Mowle and plays no direct role in the Australian effort.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/07/05/...ght-sale-talk/

I didn't know this.
Old 7 Jul 2014, 09:09 (Ref:3431320)   #175
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Interesting interview with Lee here:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=33510