Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1876489)   #1
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
ORECA considers building LMP1

EI had an interview with Hugues De Chaunac during the LMS HTTT test: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=3374

Quote:
« Ce que l’on peut dire aujourd’hui, c’est que nous menons une réflexion sur la possibilité de construire une LMP1, un proto Oreca. Oreca a les compétences pour monter un tel projet mais ce projet a ses contraintes et ses limites. Nous y réfléchissons, nous travaillons sur le dossier et notamment sur deux aspects essentiels : le soutien d’un motoriste et le budget. Je pense que nous en saurons un peu plus après Le Mans, mais il est tôt pour en parler puisque ce serait pour l’horizon 2009 »
quick and dirty translation
Quote:
What one can say today, it is that we carry out a reflexion on the possibility of building a LMP1, a proto Oreca. Oreca has competences to assemble such a project but this project has its constraints and its limits. We are thinking about it, we are working on the file and in particular on the two essential aspects: the support of a engine builder and the budget. I think that we will know a little more after Mans, but it is early to speak about it since it would be for the horizon 2009.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 08:52 (Ref:1876511)   #2
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That could be top news if it's true- the more cars the better. But they will need serious factory support if Hughes will get involved- he won't race for second- he's gonna want to win, no question.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1876531)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting point is the 'will know more after Le Mans', probably expecting the ACO to release further details of future regulations (ie coupes) or news from competitors, see how much P1 competition there will be in 08/09?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1876538)   #4
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Interesting point is the 'will know more after Le Mans', probably expecting the ACO to release further details of future regulations (ie coupes) or news from competitors, see how much P1 competition there will be in 08/09?
good point. the new direction/vogue appears to be coupes so...
Old 26 Mar 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1877026)   #5
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oreca would be a perfect technical partner for a manufacturer wanting to get into LMP racing.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1877048)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Did Oreca only run the Chrysler (Reynard & Dallara) LMP1 project or were they also involved in the design and development stage?

Last edited by FIRE; 26 Mar 2007 at 20:41.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1877083)   #7
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This pic from 2001 has Oreca on the car:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-17-016.jpg

What their roles is though I'm not sure.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1877128)   #8
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
when chrysler chucked it, dallara went to oreca and they worked together.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/dallaralmp.html
Old 26 Mar 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1877181)   #9
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember well Oreca bought some years ago Snobeck Racing Service, who was well advanced with a LMP project....
Old 26 Mar 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1877187)   #10
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
they have also built lots of Silhouette French Touring Cars (SEAT Leon, Toledo, Cordoba) and ice-racing SEAT Leon and Kia Rio in their time. They will do a very high quality job
Old 27 Mar 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1877952)   #11
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
If I remember well Oreca bought some years ago Snobeck Racing Service, who was well advanced with a LMP project....
i wondered what happened to that, its pretty...
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/snobeck.htm
Old 27 Mar 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1877971)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It appeared never at a race
Old 27 Mar 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1878003)   #13
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
good point. the new direction/vogue appears to be coupes so...
ACO regs state that(as far as I can remember) in 2010 all(?) LMP classes are to be "Coupe" cars, thats why some teams are starting to develop their 2010 entries now as to reduce overall cost when it becomes compulsory.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 21:31 (Ref:1878017)   #14
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
ACO regs state that(as far as I can remember) in 2010 all(?) LMP classes are to be "Coupe" cars, thats why some teams are starting to develop their 2010 entries now as to reduce overall cost when it becomes compulsory.
Well yes, and no......the ACO have since backtracked a little and said that current rules LMP1's will continue to be 'legal' in 2010 and beyond. However, (if memory serves me right) there's also been a hint that the 2010 coupe rules may give those who choose to take that route a slight advantage...........
Old 27 Mar 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1878059)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If anybody knows how to build a car properly , Oreca is amongst them .
Old 28 Mar 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1878367)   #16
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that Bentley. Still nice to see the ACO doing their usual and keeping the masses guessing as to whats coming next?!
Old 28 Mar 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1878486)   #17
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
does anyone get the feeling it needs to be cleaner cut than the mess that was LMP900 + 675 down to LMP1, and then LMP2 appearing and then the latest regs (symmetrical cockpit, sloped floor etc)? because i for one don't want it to be that confusing all over again!
Old 19 Apr 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1895248)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Apparently Oreca wants to build a LMP1 coupe

source: http://www.italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=14557&cat=27
Old 19 Apr 2007, 08:14 (Ref:1895296)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't believe everything that's written there, though. It's a bit like Murphy, with the small difference that they say that it is news...
Old 19 Apr 2007, 12:44 (Ref:1895478)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
It appeared never at a race
I think it looks quite smart too. Any idea why it never raced? Finance I guess?
Old 19 Apr 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1895513)   #21
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I think it looks quite smart too. Any idea why it never raced? Finance I guess?
I always had the impression that it was never completed...
Old 2 May 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1904755)   #22
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
EI had another chat with Hugues De Chaunac: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=3544

ORECA plans to race the Saleen in 2008 as well, so the prototype project is for 2009.

They want to design the car themselves (not by external firm, like Dallara) and are hoping for an engine deal with a big manufacturer. The choices will be made between june and september. They are working closely with the ACO because they want to build the car to the 2010 rules. These rules have not been fixed so the choice between closed and open is unsure, but at the moment coupe seems the most likely.
Old 2 May 2007, 09:47 (Ref:1904863)   #23
Mirage M6
Racer

Mirage M6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
EI had another chat with Hugues De Chaunac: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=3544

ORECA plans to race the Saleen in 2008 as well, so the prototype project is for 2009.

They want to design the car themselves (not by external firm, like Dallara) and are hoping for an engine deal with a big manufacturer. The choices will be made between june and september. They are working closely with the ACO because they want to build the car to the 2010 rules. These rules have not been fixed so the choice between closed and open is unsure, but at the moment coupe seems the most likely.

Great, I wait for years for a news like this. Oreca is one of the best teams in endurance racing, they'll do very good with their own car.

Ferdinand Porsche
Old 18 Aug 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1991378)   #24
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DSC have been chatting with Hugues de Chaunac at Spa; the LMP1 project is moving forward. The car will be built to the 2010 regs. Green light will come at the end of September. The only outstanding question is how the car will be badged (although reading between the lines it would appear likely that it will be that of a major manufacturer).
Old 18 Aug 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1991473)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will be interesting to see who it is, maybe another French manufactuer?