Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Jun 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2904264)   #126
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I watched the film last night, I really enjoyed it, though felt a bit depressed at the end, and I admit that I filled up slightly when all the images of the funeral were being played out. I was a bit surprised that there was no mention of his friendship with Berger, although apparently the version released to the public is 1hr 46min, whereas the one showed at Canne (the one that won all the awards) was 2hr 44min. So im not sure exactly what happened there and what was cut out.

The fact was that if that peice of suspension had not popped up in the manner it did and at that angle, Senna would probably be still alive today. I will concede that a lot of the safety measures in F1 today are a good thing, HANS, cockpit structures etc. Where I draw the line is tarmac run off. There is just too much of it, even Mark Webber said that they have gone too far in a few areas.
I've seen the near 3 hour version and there's no reference to his friendship with Berger.

All it is is 'talking head' scenes.

And yes, the funeral with the shots of all the important people in his life just... too much (I don't mean that in a negative way). Very emotional indeed.

Selby
Old 22 Jun 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2904313)   #127
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like the release date is August 12 in the USA, so if I can find a theater that shows it within a couple of hours drive, I'll go see it.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2904432)   #128
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A good film. There is a lot of footage I hadn't seen before including the driver briefings.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2904446)   #129
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Watched the film in Kettering Odeon last night - I've rarely seen the foyer so packed, all of them there to see the film. Demand has been so high that they're showing 2 extra screenings.

I was stunned by how good it was. To be honest, I wasn't too sure how good it was going to be - 1 hour 46 minutes of archive footage could be dull if not done correctly, even on a subject you love. But I was born later that month in 1994, and it might sound petty but that for that reason I always feel like I have a connection there and I've learned more and more about the legend of Senna as I've grown older.

I couldn't believe how engaging it was. I brought my girlfriend along too, who I'm trying to get into motor racing, and she was also spellbound by the film. I remember several times thinking "crikey, this guys' a good actor" - but then realised it was genuine footage.

The chilling part was the onboard footage leading up to Senna's crash. The cinema was dead silent and my heart was pounding - it was so well done. Perfect, almost.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2904454)   #130
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Our cinema was packed when I came out of the film too. The Green Lantern was on.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2904522)   #131
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think August 11 it comes to Australia - and getting it in my cinema too...don't have to travel which is unexpected and exciting!

Very much looking forward to seeing it (despite being a Prost fan at the time )
Old 23 Jun 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2904733)   #132
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I took myself along the other evening to the one-off showing in Woking and the cinema was packed out. Just a handful of spare seats. Never seen anything like it.

Not a bad film. I enjoyed it for the bits I'd not seen such as the drivers briefings and Ron Dennis being Ron Dennis... but I couldn't quite get past what they had missed out (would have been great to see more about his early days in F3 or wherever but then maybe they just don't have the footgae of that?) and the bias against Prost. I know it is supposed to be a documentary about Senna but, given that, shouldn't it have been a little more truthful?
Old 23 Jun 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2904802)   #133
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I took myself along the other evening to the one-off showing in Woking and the cinema was packed out. Just a handful of spare seats. Never seen anything like it.

Not a bad film. I enjoyed it for the bits I'd not seen such as the drivers briefings and Ron Dennis being Ron Dennis... but I couldn't quite get past what they had missed out (would have been great to see more about his early days in F3 or wherever but then maybe they just don't have the footgae of that?) and the bias against Prost. I know it is supposed to be a documentary about Senna but, given that, shouldn't it have been a little more truthful?
I've thought much about this, and I've concluded how well you can portray Alain Prost in a narrative that focuses on Senna - if the film was about Prost I'd expect Senna to come out just as poorly. You need to remember who this film is about.

I think the director said a lot about Prost by noting he was a trustee of the Senna Fund.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2904860)   #134
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I do remember who the film was about but I think that if you want to make a story that tells the story of Senna then it has to cover the full story. The good side and the bad. And there was a lot of bad about him. If you don't then you're moving into Hollywood territory in re-writing history.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2904901)   #135
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
but it's not rewriting history, it's leaving parts of history out that aren't relevant to telling the story of senna, his motivations, his loves and his death. it's not like saying hitler died in a hail of bullets from 5 american soldiers, it's showing how strongly senna thought he was right and how much he believed himself and his god.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2904923)   #136
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very much enjoyed it. From what I read beforehand, I thought Prost's portrayal would have been worse. All down to interpretation I guess - the Selina Scott interview was excellent.

What great drivers they all were. Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet. All unbeatable on their day. But also some other drivers shown on the podium - the likes of Alboreto (much missed) and Boutsen. Lot's of fantastic drivers and great days.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2904963)   #137
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I do remember who the film was about but I think that if you want to make a story that tells the story of Senna then it has to cover the full story. The good side and the bad. And there was a lot of bad about him. If you don't then you're moving into Hollywood territory in re-writing history.
I think it definitely showed the bad of Senna - admittedly, it only really touched on Senna's flaws, but I think much of Senna was left open to the be interpreted by the viewer. I came out agreeing with Prost; I agree that his particular faith was a danger to himself and those around him. My girlfriend left the cinema disgusted by Prost.

I think that says a lot about the film, and how gripping it was. A fantastic study of humanity.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2905167)   #138
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to admit that by seeing it I learnt about a side to Senna that with all the hero worship there is surrounding I didn't realise existed. But behind it all he was a racing driver, and they will do what ever they can to win, I see that every weekend I am with my championship, they can be the nicest people in the world, put them in their overalls and helmet and their personality can change at a flick of a switch. I don't think Senna ever took a risk that would cause serious harm to another driver, but he did enough to ensure that he was going to win.

I was 10 when Senna died and only really just getting into F1, and certainly didn't know about all the politics behind it, that opened my eyes a lot.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2905170)   #139
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tried to get the Mrs to come watch this with me but she wouldnt. I watched about half of it online - WOW just WOW.

Fantastic the bits that i have seen. Lots of footage that ive not seen before. So good im gonna drag my Dad to go watch it on the big screen.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2917536)   #140
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just watched it today, I can agree with all comments previously posted. What a film! I genuinely welled up at the moment Senna realises the Ratzenberger situation and the medical crew working on Roland.

I agree that it should have been in more detail in some areas, but thats balanced by the fact that its a film for the masses, not a racing fan, so would need to omit certain things not relevant to the story being told.

That said, its a must-see in my opinion.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2917651)   #141
andrewn
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
andrewn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw it last week with the wife and we both enjoyed it; me as a F1 Geek and the wife as a non-F1 fan.

Portrayed Senna as a complex human being who's own actions often seemed to conflict with his obviously deeply held beliefs. The personailty clash with Prost is stark but as someone who grew up enthralled by their rivalry (and a Prost fan) the movie told me nothing new.

Some very emotional scenes with the Imola weekend being covered in an exceptional way; as others have said there seemed to be an element of inevitability about that weekend and you are left wondering whether Senna himself also thought that.

My wife asked whether he was married and/or had kids and I guess that personal side of Senna would have been difficult to cover in that format and in the time available. Considering the materials that they had to work with I'd say it was a job well done that worked both as a film and a (reasonably accurate) record of one of F1's greatest drivers and most intense rivalries.

9/10
Old 4 Jul 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2917760)   #142
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What the movie does make you realise is what a truly awful weekend that was at Imola. The Rubens crash, startline incident, Roland and then Ayrton.

I don't think we will ever see a weekend like it again thankfully, but my my it makes you wonder what would happen now.

I remember feeling similar after the Zanardi incident so soon after 9/11. And planning on going to Rockingham, then letting my ticket go to waste as I just didn't have the appetite to go and watch any more.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2917858)   #143
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
What the movie does make you realise is what a truly awful weekend that was at Imola. The Rubens crash, startline incident, Roland and then Ayrton.

I don't think we will ever see a weekend like it again thankfully, but my my it makes you wonder what would happen now.

I remember feeling similar after the Zanardi incident so soon after 9/11. And planning on going to Rockingham, then letting my ticket go to waste as I just didn't have the appetite to go and watch any more.
As far as I remember they didn't mention the injuries to spectators from debris in the startline crash or the injuries from the loose wheel in the pitlane towards the end of the race. To this day I find it hard to believe how many different things that could have happened at any time suddenly did during that one weekend.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2922566)   #144
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was frayed nerves all weekend really, from Barrichello's accident onwards. I am surprised it didn't put me off the sport as an eight (and a half) year old and, I suppose, it just goes to show what a compelling and glorious category F1 was really. It has taken things that are totally harmless to drive me away instead!

It wasn't just Imola that year either, there were spates of testing accidents, broken legs, Wendlinger being put in a coma. A weird season indeed, exaggerated yet further by needless controversies and bumbling incompetence from teams and governing body alike. In a twisted way, I guess that was the year F1 went truly box-office, so to speak, and set in motion some of the things we find so darned problematic today.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2922738)   #145
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the hardest things to see was Martin Donnelly, laying twisted in the middle of the track.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2928117)   #146
darcia2
Rookie

darcia2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna Movie Melbourne Film Festival
2 screenings only......
friday 22nd 6.30pm
Saturday 30th 4pm
tickets frm the forum box office or on line
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2932475)   #147
medius
Veteran

England
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Senna-DVD-Ay...1934137&sr=1-1
Old 16 Aug 2011, 04:55 (Ref:2941629)   #148
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bull View Post
A remarkable movie - thoroughly enjoyed seeing it. More to the point, my wife ( certainly not a 'petrolhead' and who wondered what all the fuss was about ) found it both fascinating and moving.

Yes - they miss out all your favourite 'bits', the Lotus-Renault turbos never sounded like that, etc etc. But the makers have told a story ( and yes, they've overdone it a bit with Prost ) and it's done effectively ( rather ironic that Le Mans, which was fiction, failed to tell a story whereas Senna, which isn't, does...).

Senna succeeds in showing a general, non-specialist audience just what what so special and unusual about the man and it does it very well indeed.

And for anyone else who was at the Everyman yesterday evening, Nigel Roebuck's remark concerning what haunts him about Imola certainly struck a chord.
This.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 05:16 (Ref:2941630)   #149
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
Release dates for the US:

Old 16 Aug 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2941631)   #150
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Reviews from Rottentomatoes.com: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/senna/

Movie poster: