Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:11 (Ref:1011055)   #1
ineedcoffee
Rookie

ineedcoffee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rules heading for the first corner

Does anyone know what the FIA ruling is about the number of "moves" you are allowed to make from the start of a GP heading into the first corner?
Michael made a few swerves blocking the BARs from passing him before he took his racing line.
Was that illegal? If not, why not?
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1011079)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Legal, but not pretty. However who's to say his move to the inside at the end wasn't to have a look at going past RB - in which it would have been bad to stop the small chance of an overtaking move there.

The start is difficult to legislate for (as is any other time!). For instance Alonso did a lot of swerving too.

I suggest that this thread sticks to the actual question: "I accept that Ferrari have different team orders?" with perhaps USGP as an example rather than decend down the usual route. We can assume this isn't just bait to bash Michael, because then it won't be!
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1011095)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Throughout the race you are only allowed to mvoe once at eacg corner, but I'm not sure whether the rules are different at the start. Michael clearly moved more than once, and it's possible as Adam says that Michael was looking to pass Rubens at that point.

The 'Schumacher chop' hasn't caused any significant crashes before now,a dn doesn't seem like a major safety priority in view of several avoidable could-have-been-serious accidents in recent races.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1011096)   #4
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ineed,

i saw the same thing you did. ms moved twice on sato before the first corner. then speedvision replayed the first corner from sato's angle and ms was no where near him on the second move. i think the second "move" was ms just lining up for the corner and, as adam said, possibly take a run at rb.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1011102)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by QuickSilver
ineed,

i saw the same thing you did. ms moved twice on sato before the first corner. then speedvision replayed the first corner from sato's angle and ms was no where near him on the second move. i think the second "move" was ms just lining up for the corner and, as adam said, possibly take a run at rb.
\absolutely he was clear of Sato and was taking a look on RB
Old 21 Jun 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1011121)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The 'Schumacher chop' hasn't caused any significant crashes before now,a dn doesn't seem like a major safety priority in view of several avoidable could-have-been-serious accidents in recent races.
is there a "panis chop" now as well?
Old 21 Jun 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1011203)   #7
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

The start is difficult to legislate for (as is any other time!). For instance Alonso did a lot of swerving too.
and it usually happends at every GP .. FIA must get rules wich makes those "chops" illegal

Ciao Marco
Old 21 Jun 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1011209)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I think I'll start a thread on Alonso's start - it was fantastic.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1011226)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
one of the best starts i've seen since Alesi Monza 1996

Ciao Marco