Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1749740)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i dont think its a case of ford being jealous its more a case of ford ( and other sponsors depending in the event) trying to protect what they have paid a lot of money for that is the ability to advertise at a particular event. holden come along and attempt to gain free publicity at the expense of other sponsors

Part of the problem is that holden is a competitor to some of the major sponsors of events,(eg toyota in AFL) if they wer a company that was not a competior we would be hearing a lot less about it i think
Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1749745)   #27
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is seen as a nuisance.

what would be called a negative externality.

Ford are paying good money for the cricket, toyota pay good money for the AFL to have some stupid ship flying around above. I think it is free loading.

If it puts shadows on the cricket pitches their will be a backlash for sure.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1749747)   #28
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gotta love Holden... Any publicity is good publicity?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1749761)   #29
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
i dont think its a case of ford being jealous its more a case of ford ( and other sponsors depending in the event) trying to protect what they have paid a lot of money for that is the ability to advertise at a particular event. holden come along and attempt to gain free publicity at the expense of other sponsors

Part of the problem is that holden is a competitor to some of the major sponsors of events,(eg toyota in AFL) if they wer a company that was not a competior we would be hearing a lot less about it i think
exactly it's just a factor of another car manufactuer sposering the event the blimp attends.

when i heard that it was flying over the AFL GF i thought thats not going to go down well with Toyota.

and at the cricket it wouldn't go down well as Ford sponser the cricket.

but at the NRL its ok especially at half-time as on nine its sponsered by Holden.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1749762)   #30
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well maybe Holden had no money left to spend on Marketing after the VE launch...

One airblimp probably gets more exposure then some signs around the ground anyway.

Besides, there is no value in a simple Holden or Ford logo anyway. People are aware of the brands and i dont think that people watching the cricket, or seeing the blimp, is going to make them any more likely to go out and buy a Ford or Holden
Old 26 Oct 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1749779)   #31
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
Besides, there is no value in a simple Holden or Ford logo anyway. People are aware of the brands and i dont think that people watching the cricket, or seeing the blimp, is going to make them any more likely to go out and buy a Ford or Holden
So Ford/Holden/Toyota/Jetstar/LG/Toll/Qantas/Jack Daniels/Travelex/VB/insert brand here, are getting no value from sponsoring Cricket, Rugby, League, Afl, V8 Supercars, etc? What a fantastic insight you have given us, the sponsorship dollars are completely useless hey? so no more money gets poured into our sport, sport withers and dies due to lack of funds, and the whole Australian way of life submits to the brain dead and apathetic lifestyle of todays youth by being reduced to the 5minute attention span of a console game.

Mate, some of us actually enjoy the real world out there and therefore appreciate the funds that any brand pour into the sport we love, to enable us to keep enjoying the sport we love - and that, in my ever so humble of opinions, is worth protecting.......
Old 26 Oct 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1749836)   #32
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The blimp is not free publicity for Holden.

Its a very expensive zepplin. I must agree the shadow it cast over the ground during the AFL grand final was annoying but no worse than the signs on the fence that flip over all the time so they can get two/three times as much signage on TV...

I would be concerned if it cast shodows on the pitch during the cricket but I'm sure the pilot could forget the whole "Beware of the hun in the sun" routine and buzz the sporting stadiums from the other side..
Old 26 Oct 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1749859)   #33
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
I do appriciate the value of the money they pump into the sport... but personally.

- The Jack Daniels signage hasnt made me go out and buy Jack Daniels
- For all the Holden and Ford signage... i still happily drive my Mitsubishi
- I dont fly Jetstar.. my legs are too long to fit into the seats
- And i dont buy VB... i prefer Boags Draught or Premium.

The advertising that i watch during a v8supercar/Formula 1 event does not sway me towards purchasing a product, it just makes me aware of the brand.

The question there is ...

Does motorsports advertising make you more likely to buy products, or simply just aware of the brand ???
Old 26 Oct 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1749868)   #34
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_015
But i sawer the blimp over my school it was cools!!!!.
Do you spend a lot of time staring at the sky instead of the blackboard
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1749921)   #35
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raglanparade, I agree. I don't think I own anything that sponsor a V8 team, and I have never felt compelled by any marketing in V8Supercars to buy a certain product. My Bigpond internet is the only thing remotley V8SC. And on purpose, I never buy anything from all the annoying companies who advertise during the V8s. Here in Coffs Harbour, its the same ads every time.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1749928)   #36
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport sponsorship can make people change brands. But indeed, it won't affect everybody like yourself. For example, generally I drink VB, because that's what most people around me drink. But the Budweiser sponsorship of Williams - although took nearly 2 years, had me go out and say hey, "lets try some Bud today". And I did. And I liked it.

Conversely, it's not going to change everyone. For example, you enjoy your Boag, you're sticking to that brand, nothing's going to change that, you're loyal to the brand for whatever reason, for example you absolutely love the taste and have no reason to change.

So some people are:
A. Loyal to a brand and won't be affected by sponsorship. (there are some brands I am loyal to, for one, Olympus cameras for some weird reason). And you'd be hard pressed getting a Coke-loyal person to drink Pepsi and vice versa.

B. People who don't have a connection to their brand, for example, someone who uses computers daily, and need a laptop. They don't know where to start... maybe those Dells ads will convince them, or they go to a shop, or maybe they'll remember hey, "Brad Jones was using an Alienware, maybe I should have a look". Or example for me, I don't need one at the moment, (like you don't need a new car at the moment so you're happy with your Mitsu), but if I ever go looking for aircon. First thing off I'll be checking Fujistu models.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1749941)   #37
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
But would you be checking out the Fujitsu models because of the signage on the Britek cars (that we do not see much of on the V8 anyway)...

Or would you check out the fujitsu models because of the advertising campaign on TV that features Mark Taylor... which highlights the advantages of the product itself...

I think that Fujitsu would probably acheive almost as much through there advertising just through the Mark Taylor adverts on TV during prime time and sporting events, it is simply brand awareness they get by racing at the back of the pack.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1749952)   #38
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Seen it today from our house. Not something you see everyday.

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Ch...J-100_0363.JPG
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1749955)   #39
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
did you have your gun (or a SAM) handy chris?
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1749956)   #40
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's two different types of marketing. Tubby is trying to sell you the product outright so you walk into the shop and say 'I want a Fujitsu air con'.

Whereas advertising on a car raises the awareness of the brand name and is probably less hard to quantify in sales results. However if you were to go and buy an air conditioning unit without actively thinking 'I'm going to look at Fujitsu', you might thing better of the Fujitsu range subconsciously when you see them in the shop due to being exposed to the brand name while watching the V8s.
Or at least that's what the marketing department wants to think!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1749965)   #41
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
did you have your gun (or a SAM) handy chris?
Not quite, it was flying around at 10am and again at 3pm heading towards Brisbane, news choppers all over it.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1749993)   #42
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There you go- Channel 9 news reports says the Queensland has banned the Holdenburg from flying over major sporting events!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Oct 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1750003)   #43
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
That's two different types of marketing. Tubby is trying to sell you the product outright so you walk into the shop and say 'I want a Fujitsu air con'.

Whereas advertising on a car raises the awareness of the brand name and is probably less hard to quantify in sales results. However if you were to go and buy an air conditioning unit without actively thinking 'I'm going to look at Fujitsu', you might thing better of the Fujitsu range subconsciously when you see them in the shop due to being exposed to the brand name while watching the V8s.
Or at least that's what the marketing department wants to think!
Speaking of brand awareness.
Watching Bathurst the other week my mate turned to me after seeing the Tasman cars go round a few times said.... "what the hell is Fuchs"
But even being along time V8 Supercar supporter i didnt know.
I jumped up and did a quick search on the net and found out that they make lubricants.
Not sure if i'll ever buy some, but it certainly made me aware of them.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1750172)   #44
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But would you be checking out the Fujitsu models because of the signage on the Britek cars (that we do not see much of on the V8 anyway)...

Or would you check out the fujitsu models because of the advertising campaign on TV that features Mark Taylor... which highlights the advantages of the product itself...

I think that Fujitsu would probably acheive almost as much through there advertising just through the Mark Taylor adverts on TV during prime time and sporting events, it is simply brand awareness they get by racing at the back of the pack.
It'd be both. Before Britek came along, I saw those Fujitsu ads, and though, hmmm. But the signage on both Britek and the Fujitsu series, both reinforce in my mind that I should give this brand a lot of though. That's not to say that I'll definitely get a Fujitsu, but at this moment, it's definitely at the top of my list.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1750359)   #45
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklehorse

Old 26 Oct 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1750569)   #46
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklehorse
It is seen as a nuisance.

Ford are paying good money for the cricket, toyota pay good money for the AFL to have some stupid ship flying around above. I think it is free loading.

If it puts shadows on the cricket pitches their will be a backlash for sure.
Negative by who? All that matters is what the audience thinks, not their competitors. Do you really honestly care that Ford and Toyota aren't getting their moneys worth for advertising? Unless you're a shareholder, I don't see why.

Quote:
People are aware of the brands and i dont think that people watching the cricket, or seeing the blimp, is going to make them any more likely to go out and buy a Ford or Holden
What about watching V8 Supercars? Shhhh.

Quote:
Cricket Australia public affairs general manager Peter Young said the airship could put cricketers' lives in danger.

"It causes a shadow to come racing across and if you've got Brett Lee roaring in at 160km/h, you don't suddenly need Holden getting in your face," Mr Young said.
Highly technical this. "Holden getting in your face". Sorry, what? I guess its not just cricket fans that have a problem with words.

Quote:
"It's un-Australian to try and sneak a free ride. If parasite marketers are allowed to suck the value out of major events without supporting them it raises a risk for the viability of major events."
Since when is it un-Australian?

Quote:
CA chief executive James Sutherland has written to state sports ministers seeking help to ban the airship over stadiums.

But Airservices Australia yesterday said the airship did not pose a safety risk.
Written cheques, I guess that means!
Old 26 Oct 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1750577)   #47
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
There you go- Channel 9 news reports says the Queensland has banned the Holdenburg from flying over major sporting events!
It'd be interesting to find out how they banned it. I thought that would have to come from Airservices Australia.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1750582)   #48
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Just clear up that post I made- It's the Queensland Government, but I still see where you're coming from RotorFan.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 00:29 (Ref:1750593)   #49
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know - there are some in the industry that think the blimp is perfectly representative of the new VE Commodore ...

Big, fat, slow, old technology, over-priced, in the wrong era, and over-exposed.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1750668)   #50
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy

with your absolutly diabolical knowledge of marketing and business in general referring to your comments on car sponsorship, I can totally understand that you cannot comprehend why the Holdenburg is a negative externality on us all.