Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Oct 2006, 03:00 (Ref:1750670)   #51
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
It'd be interesting to find out how they banned it. I thought that would have to come from Airservices Australia.
thats what i thought to .
Old 27 Oct 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1751203)   #52
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Don't know - there are some in the industry that think the blimp is perfectly representative of the new VE Commodore ...

Big, fat, slow, old technology, over-priced, in the wrong era, and over-exposed.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 05:09 (Ref:1751690)   #53
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Don't know - there are some in the industry that think the blimp is perfectly representative of the new VE Commodore ...

Big, fat, slow, old technology, over-priced, in the wrong era, and over-exposed.
typical bloody ford fan.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 08:08 (Ref:1752444)   #54
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
typical bloody ford fan.
Except I'm not.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1752450)   #55
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1752624)   #56
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Except I'm not.
i don't mean you i mean the some in the industry that think it's Fat,Slow ETC.

i should of wrote typical bloody Ford Fans .
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1753047)   #57
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Victorian & Federal Government had legislation in place for the Commonwealth Games to prevent so called ambush marketing in that no one was able to advertise within a certain distance of a Games venue unless they were a games sponsor, this would've also covered the airship if it was here at the time.

It was brought into Australia & assembled in one of the hangers at Melbourne airport (aka Tullamarine) and when in Melbourne lives at the Essendon airport. According to a write up on it it has something like 5 million litres of hellium gas in it (that's a hell of a lot of party balloons) and is "leased" by Holden for 6 months.

That means that at sometime early next year it will probably stop being a Holden airship and be changed to something else just in time for when the legislation being talked about can be introduced

Another point is that everytime the airship is mentioned it's the HOLDEN AIRSHIP so everytime the VRC, AFL or ACB complain Holden gets hundreds of thousands of dollars of free coverage
Old 30 Oct 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1753171)   #58
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Another point is that everytime the airship is mentioned it's the HOLDEN AIRSHIP so everytime the VRC, AFL or ACB complain Holden gets hundreds of thousands of dollars of free coverage
Holden=1,Other Sponser's=0
Old 30 Oct 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1753895)   #59
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
i don't mean you i mean the some in the industry that think it's Fat,Slow ETC.

i should of wrote typical bloody Ford Fans .
It's not just the Ford people though ....
Old 31 Oct 2006, 04:07 (Ref:1754043)   #60
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i think it is quiet a good car.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 05:40 (Ref:1754070)   #61
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite a good car? What happened to the blimp? Only messing with you mate, the VE (if that's what you're talking about) looks HOT... But there's another thread for that...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:24 (Ref:1754091)   #62
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
great looking car and the race car looks even better (also another thread for that) for this thread the blimp is a good cheap way of advertisng for Holden if i see it it certainly makes me look up.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1754120)   #63
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Cheap? *cough*
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1754250)   #64
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
well saves them renting a bit of sideboard or concrete wall at an event,everyone at the track can see it even if they are not near the concrete wall Holden sponser or being at a footy game or criket ETC event they can see the blimp not just the sideboard Holden has their name on,and they can just fly it around and show Holden off.

ok maybe not cheap but well worth the money IMO.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1754757)   #65
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My copy of Wheels turned up last night and had a DVD with it. The DVD was basically the VE TV program hosted by Mark Skaife & Deborah Hutton from a few weeks ago but includes some extra's.

One extra is a time lapse of the assembly of the blimp in a hanger at Melbourne airport, interesting it started life white and the signage is stick on vinyl panels.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 05:29 (Ref:1754952)   #66
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
They showed that on the TV program too IIRC...
Old 1 Nov 2006, 05:31 (Ref:1754954)   #67
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
stick on vynal just makes it easier for them to remove after Holdens lease with the blimp is finished.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1755197)   #68
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My copy of Wheels turned up last night and had a DVD with it. The DVD was basically the VE TV program hosted by Mark Skaife & Deborah Hutton from a few weeks ago but includes some extra's.

One extra is a time lapse of the assembly of the blimp in a hanger at Melbourne airport, interesting it started life white and the signage is stick on vinyl panels.
You can, believe it or not, actually BUY this VE propaganda from Chevron now on DVD, for $35.

It was a great program wasn't it? The Holden engineers telling us how well engineered the VE is, the designers telling us how great it looks, the racing drivers telling us how good it drives etc. Seriously, they think we are idiots don't they?

They could have at least bribed journalists to tell us how good it was, rather than assume we would just take Holden's word for it. Then again, when you look what happened when a quality publication like AMC got hold of it............ maybe not............
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 1 Nov 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1755205)   #69
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Old 1 Nov 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1755217)   #70
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Old 1 Nov 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1755657)   #71
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Now I sit firmly in the Red corner and even I took the DVD contents with a bucket full (not just a grain) of salt as it was basically a 50 minute advertorial.

However it was interesting to see some of the background stuff and how they put the cars together so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
Old 2 Nov 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1755805)   #72
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But we wouldn't pay $35 for an advertorial - would we? Maybe we would. I've heard that Supercar teams earn millions from selling their advertising for people to wear.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1760330)   #73
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
The Holdenburg was heading down the Hume on Sunday & passed Winton at around 11am (those of us at the Alfa Club 6 hour got to see it drift past).

I drove over the Bolte Bridge during the running of the Melbourne Cup yesterday & there was no sign of it in the air over Flemington and in fact it was tied up at Essendon airport at the time. It was pretty windy so perhaps that prevented it from taking to the air??

I notice with interest that a helicopter towing a large event sponsor flag was flying over Flemington at the time of the running of the cup, maybe horses aren't scared by helicopter noise
Old 7 Nov 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1760429)   #74
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Holdenburg was heading down the Hume on Sunday & passed Winton at around 11am (those of us at the Alfa Club 6 hour got to see it drift past).

I drove over the Bolte Bridge during the running of the Melbourne Cup yesterday & there was no sign of it in the air over Flemington and in fact it was tied up at Essendon airport at the time. It was pretty windy so perhaps that prevented it from taking to the air??

I notice with interest that a helicopter towing a large event sponsor flag was flying over Flemington at the time of the running of the cup, maybe horses aren't scared by helicopter noise

I'm a little concerned about your unhealthily zealous interest in this Airship, PVDA.

Did you want to be a Zeppelin pilot as a young boy???

Do you have many un-fulfilled fantasies ???
Old 8 Nov 2006, 01:36 (Ref:1760476)   #75
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
I'm a little concerned about your unhealthily zealous interest in this Airship, PVDA.
I just like the "sticking it up 'em" nature of the whole debate and the fact it kinda stuck out as it floated past on Sunday morning