Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 26 Nov 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2342493)   #1
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help With Lap Timer

I purchased a My-Chron AIM lap timer. Can anyone help. The button functions seem vary somewhat to those as descibed in the instructions. The times displayed are erratic and inconsistent with the organisers times. I have followed the instruction page as best as I can allowing for the previously mentioned button anomalies and have absorbed all the info on the suppliers website. Does anyone have any experience with these things ?? Any ideas ??
Old 27 Nov 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2342757)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I usually buy my laptimer a decent dinner at the hotel the night before, then I get really accurate lap times.

I haven't been any help here really have I?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2344062)   #3
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get the same times as the official timing you need the beacon to be very close to the official timing point. If for instance you have the beacon at a point before the last corner your time from the beacon, through the corner to the official timing point may affect the comparison of lap times, Does this make sense as it is what I was told by an AIM dealer. In other words your sector times can affect the lap time.. Any comments on this thinking? The more I think about it the more I get confused and wonder if it is correct or not.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2349091)   #4
speedsense
Rookie

speedsense should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted
I purchased a My-Chron AIM lap timer. Can anyone help. The button functions seem vary somewhat to those as descibed in the instructions. The times displayed are erratic and inconsistent with the organisers times. I have followed the instruction page as best as I can allowing for the previously mentioned button anomalies and have absorbed all the info on the suppliers website. Does anyone have any experience with these things ?? Any ideas ??
Could be several things:
  1. The Aim system use a "non-signature" beacon and can be triggered by other beacons.
  2. Alignment is another problem and if the reciever is not perfectly in the line of sight and level at the same height of the beacon it can cause faulty triggering.
  3. The mychron uses a fairly inexpensive crystal (used for running the internal clock) and the quality of the crystal is important for consistant time. If the quality is low from crystal to crystal (from the same supplier) there will be a difference in laptimes from each. If you have had a timing problem from the start or it started suddenly and has continued every time, this could be the problem.
  4. Competition Data systems (american company) is selling a GPS beacon replacement for the Mychron. Timing is within .02 (if the system design is capable of it) and no false triggers. Cost is about the same as a beacon (here in America that is) but you will never forget your beacon again!!
  5. As the reciever channel is a digital channel and operating with an on/off pulse, it can be greatly effected by RF noise. Running the sensor line near (within a foot) a high energy ignition system or even a radio can cause trigger problem by adding pulses to the line.
Good luck
Old 15 Dec 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2355236)   #5
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
To get the same times as the official timing you need the beacon to be very close to the official timing point. If for instance you have the beacon at a point before the last corner your time from the beacon, through the corner to the official timing point may affect the comparison of lap times, Does this make sense as it is what I was told by an AIM dealer. In other words your sector times can affect the lap time.. Any comments on this thinking? The more I think about it the more I get confused and wonder if it is correct or not.
Yes, the AIM dealer is correct. If you place a beacon transmitter close to a corner, (or any place on track where speed my change suddenly) you have the potential to affect the lap time. This is why lap beacons are usually situated on a long straight where transient speed has less of an effect.

In simple terms, if the beacon is near a corner and you miss your break point and end up in the tyre wall you will have recorded a fantastic lap time as you failed to break for that corner. If the beacon is on a long straight where speed doesn't change much, there will be nothing to affect the lap time significantly as you go past it.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2355742)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ayrton Senna at Magny Cours 1992(?) threw the car off at the final chicane but crossed the line doing so, and got pole position.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2355809)   #7
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used those timers for a few years & always put the beacon on the pit wall. The only problem i have had is picking up somebody elses beacon instead of my own giving erratic lap times. make sure you set the lap timer so its not looking for a time for just under your lowest lap time of circuit you visit, i.e about 44-45 secs for brands. The aim system can be triggered by the formula renault data logging & timing beacon. The guys are right about the effects of a corner aswell, plus if you don't put the beacon on the pit wall you are measuring a slightly different rolling lap to the time keepers