Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3208382)   #1
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Am I not asking enough money?

I'd like some opinions on this please because I'm a bit stumped. I'm having trouble selling an old vehicle and I'm starting to think that perversely it might be because I'm not asking enough money for it. The vehicle itself is a actually a 26' American motor home, but as it's some 35 years old I thought this would be the best forum to ask on.

The old girl should probably have gone to the great RV park in the sky many years ago, but partly through necessity, and partly sentimentality, I've thrown enough money at it to keep it sound and in good working order. I put a modern V8 in it with cat converters, it's got lots of new bits, a brand new MOT and pretty much everything works, including the fridge, aircon, central heating, microwave etc, etc.

Times change though, and now I need to sell it..... but what sort of price to ask? I checked the market and found as followed: a brand new motor home this sort of size would tip in at a cool £75k-£100k (yes I know that's silly money, but that's what they are!) A ten year old one will still fetch £25k-£30k and even at twenty they're good for £10k-£15k. I've actually got my 35 year old one insured at an agreed value of £7500.

Well, I thought to myself... it's hard economic times, I've had my money's worth out of the old girl, so I'll punt it her out really cheap for a quick sale and someone can bag themselves a bargain. So, I decided on just half of it's insurance value at £3250 and stuck a for-sale sign in the window, with no price, just my phone number (its parked on a busy road). In the few days since I've had several enquiries. Great, I thought, but every time I say the price, there's a pause, then 'I'll have to get back to you'.... then no return call.

I can't understand it. I think it's total bargain. Am I sadly deluded? Or.... as I'm beginning to suspect.... are people thinking 'at that price there must be something badly wrong with it'? Am I putting people off by making the price 'too attractive'? Any thoughts?