Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Aug 2002, 01:02 (Ref:352744)   #1
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Breath of Fresh Air

Today I got a breath of fresh air! In addition to my real job I am deeply involved in a sport that requires significant support from sponsors.

Today during a conversation with a potential sponsor (who shall, at their request, remain nameless until they make their own announcment) the conversation turned to motorsports, both cars and bikes. I was aware that they sponsor cars in the IRL and asked point blank why they chose the IRL over CART. The answer was "Simple, we wanted to support American drivers and it was much cheaper to run in the IRL. We thought it was a no-brainer." Interesting side note, not all of their drivers are American.

I asked him if there was any truth to some rumours that one of their drivers was moving over to CART (hint). He got a funny look on his face and said "It's not just the driver." He went on to say that their sponsorship and driverS (note the capital S) were near certain to move to CART as the IRL has not become what it was represented to be at the onset of their sponsorship(an all American series.) He also said that CART has taken huge strides to make things more affordable for the teams. He cautioned me that it was not 100% more like 98% because the ink wasn't dry and they were still deciding whether to put money on two cars or three cars but he was excited to make the move. It fits better with their long range goals.

I know at this point without names etc. the neigh-sayers will question this post but, I know wht I heard and who I heard it from. It looks like CART is turning the corner and TG has pounded a few too many nails.

Last edited by Flatspot; 8 Aug 2002 at 01:08.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 02:55 (Ref:352756)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to hear!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 03:24 (Ref:352764)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting... Haven't heard anything publicly, but then again, Penske didn't say anything publicly about their switch until December. Etiher way, I have no doubt they'll be any less than 20 cars next year.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Aug 2002, 09:17 (Ref:352876)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope it pans out
Old 8 Aug 2002, 11:16 (Ref:352939)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that your mystery contact says all this in public when he makes the big announcement. It will help boost Champ Cars immensly if people can see that it isn't only the fans who think TG has lost his last marble.

I think he's right. Champ Cars have turned the corner. It's still a long way back but we are now going the right direction and we can look forward to good news from now on!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 12:36 (Ref:353009)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only time CART has looked really in the dumps was during the month of May, when the only stories about CART were negative because of the Indy 500. But since then CART have produced the best racing (as usual) but have we heard anything about Redneck Racing Inc.? Hell no.

CART is an international series with the best drivers and tracks in the world. Redneck Racing Inc. spend their time going round in circles every fortnight with sub-par drivers and no money. The involvement of manufacturers in that series will bring it to its knees.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:44 (Ref:353177)   #7
Lemming51
Rookie

Lemming51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just a Lemming and all, so please excuse my obvious ignorance, but how does it work that a sponsor looking for an "all American" series and is disappointed in the IRL having only 12 or so full-time American drivers, is going to be satisified by moving to CART and their 1, maybe 2 or 3, American drivers and fewer American races?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 16:13 (Ref:353194)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
To respond to Lemming51's question will probably give a bunch away and I don't really want to jepordize my own deal in case they happen to read forums but I'll try to explain.

The sponsor has a long term ultimate goal which in essence is to support American drivers in a basically non-American series. To that end they figured that if they entered an "all American" series this would increase the potential talent pool from which to select drivers and teams to support and move up the ladder over the long term.

They have since determined that this is not the case in the IRL as the American talent pool is being diluted more and more each day. They have also determined that their ultimate goal is not being served as the current teams in the ultimate goal program have not looked to the IRL for potential talent but they have/will pull from CART.

Asking when an announcement may be made the reply was that they were currntly talking to Ford to get details ironed out and that is why they have not finalized the 2 or 3 car thing and he didn't have a definate timeline as he isn't part of that negotiation. He just appropriates the $$$$$.

I hope this answers you question.

Last edited by Flatspot; 8 Aug 2002 at 16:15.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 16:31 (Ref:353198)   #9
Lemming51
Rookie

It's obvious to all from your first post that you're talking about Red Bull. Are you saying they thought that they were going to groom their American F1 pilot through the Red Bull Team Cheever in the IRL? Please. That doesn't make any sense. If the search for the American F1 pilot was to be tied to their race team they should/would have gone to Atlantics. Snag a prospect there and then send him/her/them to European F3000 and F1. The all-oval IRL would be the (next to) last place to conduct this team-building and driver search.

And they had a shot at a young American with potential when they tested Buddy Rice in the pre-season, but Red Bull/Walkinshaw insisted on bringing Scheckter instead.

What Red Bull wanted and got was an American "formula car" presence in the US that has some awareness (Indy 500), simply for brand building. The driver program is separate and incidental to their Team Cheever involvement. Even if CART is the cheaper sponsorship next year, Red Bull still doesn't get the total US exposure there that they do in the IRL with the Indy 500.

Last edited by Lemming51; 8 Aug 2002 at 16:41.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 16:35 (Ref:353200)   #10
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But as Red Bull isn't a tobacco company, couldn't they perfectly well decide to sponsor a CART team (to bring on the American F1 drivers) and an entry in the Indy 500 (for 'the total US exposure')?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 16:39 (Ref:353202)   #11
Lemming51
Rookie

Yes they could. But that would be quite a bit more expensive.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 16:48 (Ref:353204)   #12
Lemming51
Rookie

I guess I'm not saying that Red Bull will stay in the IRL.

Using an Atlantics and/or CART team to develop their American F1 prospect would make a h[e]ll of a lot of sense. But if they move their sponsorship, it won't be because the IRL isn't the American series they thought it would be. It will be because they wasted a lot of money because they were too stupid to realize that the all-oval IRL was not the place to develop an F1 driver.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 16:57 (Ref:353209)   #13
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Lemming51, I agree with so much of your post and obviously I don't cover my tracks very well and I hope it doesn't bite my in the butt. You've hit the nail on the head and frankly most of going to the IRL in the first place for these reasons makes no sense to me either. Nevertheless, that's what they did.

Knowing what I know about their marketing strategy you can throw "Marketing 101" out the window. The Indy 500 is contrary to their stratagy. They feel like "big events" just gets you lost in the shuffel. Whether we agree with or understand their stratagy or not is beside the point.

I guess the bottom line is that I now beleive Scheckter and Red Bull are coming to CART. They will bring 1 or two more into their program (from the IRL or elswhere I have no idea). Again, I only know what I was told and who told it to me. We'll wait and see.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 17:58 (Ref:353252)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I have to say that knowing this, if RB were to follow through, I'd start purchasing their product!

I've never seen it up here, though.

Plus, Ferrari braunnosing aside, I always liked the Scheckter clan. More power to Thomas!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:22 (Ref:353280)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh Lord, another Townie Bell! LOOK OUT!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:34 (Ref:353292)   #16
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull is not sold in Canada. I am not sure, but if I remember correctly the product was not approved for sale by the Canadian equivalent of the FDA in the US. It could be the 'bull' extracts.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:08 (Ref:353320)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The drink has been linked to a few deaths in Europe, and is supposedly quite dangerous when mixed with alcohol or drunk with a strenuous workout...but the cases of death have been quite limited and according to Red Bull it's just speculation. For better or worse I imagine it will be available in Canada shortly. I have to admit, I"ll probably try it...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:29 (Ref:353329)   #18
pferrf1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
The drink has been linked to a few deaths in Europe, and is supposedly quite dangerous when mixed with alcohol or drunk with a strenuous workout...but the cases of death have been quite limited and according to Red Bull it's just speculation. For better or worse I imagine it will be available in Canada shortly. I have to admit, I"ll probably try it...
I've tried my fair share of Red Bull when in the US. ERd Bulls and Vodka seemed to be all the rage this summer. Damned expensive though. The stuff works. I'll buy some Red Bull and some merchandise if they come into CART.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:48 (Ref:353337)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I noticed that they do sell RB at "The Beer Store" in Ontario. Saw a can of it on the display shelf.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:52 (Ref:353340)   #20
pferrf1
Rookie

Really - sure its not a copycat?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:53 (Ref:353341)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
really? I'll go check that out... I wonder if it's a mixed drink or the actual drink though... It's not really an energy drink like Powerade or Gatorade(I wouldn't drink it while excersising), but more like something you'd drink while trying to pull an all nighter... I could use some of that...lol.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 19:55 (Ref:353343)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm pretty sure. But I did find it peculiar that the picture of a bull was identical to a picture on a can of Schlitz, only in red as opposed to blue. Next time I'm there I'll have a better look.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:11 (Ref:353354)   #23
pferrf1
Rookie

Back to Business.....If Red Bull was to come to CART. HOw would they do it? I assume after all the **** that Cheever has been spewing...he won't be a part of it.

Thier own new start-up team? Hook Up with Coyne? Hook up with somebody buying the PWR remnants?
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:38 (Ref:353377)   #24
Liz
Veteran

I thought they considered it to be a drug -- it has vitamins and stuff in it doesn't it? I tried one can of it that I got at the Heathrow Airport once and didn't care for it. But I saved the can. The cans are cool.

Last edited by Liz; 8 Aug 2002 at 20:39.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:49 (Ref:353389)   #25
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
One correction, the Red Bull that is available in Ontario Beer Stores is actually a strong lager, and not the "energy" drink that's known the world over.

I think Red Bull might be available in Alberta, but it'll probably be a little longer before it's approved for sale in the rest of the country. Essentially it's just a drink with a lot of caffeine and a few other stimulants.