Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Oct 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1136141)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pricing JPEG's

I'm sure I've asked this before but as I couldn't find the thread I'm going to ask again.
What do y'all consider a fair price for a jpg file?
I have been asked by the manager of a driver for images so that his sponsor could use them in a marketing campaign and have offered them as if I were providing 10x15 prints @ £15 per image (as well as aking for a vinyl on the car and a copy of any literature)...does that seem fair?
I think Motorsport News pay £20 per image.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 09:05 (Ref:1136159)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Paul, you have a PM
Old 26 Oct 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1137144)   #3
JamesC
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
JamesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd make sure I knew what they were using it for - and make them sign something to say thats all they were doing with it. Or else sell them the ownership of the photo for a higher price. Just a thought...

Vinyl seems like a good idea though - I'll have to make up some small green lambs...
Old 26 Oct 2004, 23:11 (Ref:1137186)   #4
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That seems very low to me. You need to find out what kind of marketing is being done and price accordingly. I have priced files at $200-$400 per image when used for driver marketing such as hero (signature) cards, press kits or other types of basic marketing.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 23:45 (Ref:1137207)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Pricing JPEG's

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
What do y'all consider a fair price for a jpg file?
I have been asked by the manager of a driver for images so that his sponsor could use them in a marketing campaign and have offered them as if I were providing 10x15 prints @ £15 per image (as well as aking for a vinyl on the car and a copy of any literature)...does that seem fair?
I think Motorsport News pay £20 per image.
Hold on! Payment for adverising usage is based upon insertions and distribution. Don't sell yourself short. Get an estimate of "exposure" before you commit. That way you will have an income stream rather than some cash in your pocket. Much better to have ½ pence/insertion in a magazine with a circulation of a few thousand. Also, billboards/TV backgrounds carry a higher payment. hrug: Perhaps you need an experienced photo marketing agent (not me)?

Last edited by thebear; 26 Oct 2004 at 23:49.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1137375)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marketing agent?...hmmmm maybe I need a market first
All your comments are really gratefully appreciated and serious food for thought...I'm such a pinko commie at times
I think in this instance it is for a one of campaign by a sponsor and is only two images...we live and learn though
Old 27 Oct 2004, 22:57 (Ref:1138341)   #7
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, I always answer this sort of question quite simply. What do YOU think the pictures are worth, taking into account your time/effort versus what THEY think they are worth.

Sometimes their idea of value is higher than yours and it is an easy decision. If it is lower then it comes down to negotiation and you settle on what you both think is fair.

With a lot of these scenarios there is no easy answer or hard and fast rule as each one is different. If you are happy with the money you get paid, then that is all that matters at the end of the day.

I have been offered everything from someone wanting a DVD of 20mb TIF's for nothing to a four figure sum for a single shot. Now, if I could get a four figure sum per shot for a DVD full, then I would be a happy bunny.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 27 Oct 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1138348)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
what was the four figure shot of????????
Old 28 Oct 2004, 04:36 (Ref:1138500)   #9
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
what was the four figure shot of????????
Doesnt matter as much of what it is, but what was it for?

That is what determines the worth of a photo. Some of my best shots have not made a cent, while a decent one was worh a fair chunk of change. Determine how the photos are being used and then price accordingly.

While when Kenny says what matters most at the end of the day id whether or not you are happy with the price is somewhat right, it is not totally true. You have to think about what is fair and about the business as well. If someone that makes six figures from their 9-5 is just giving photos away and are happy cause they dont need to make money, it leaves those of us that do need to make money off our shots in a really bad position.

Respect the job and also respect yourself and price what you are worth.

Whats done is done here, but take this thread to heart and learn for the next time. You dont want to be the guy everyone comes to for photos because you are known for being cheap. You want them to come to you because you take good shots.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1138654)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I'm very conscious of all that you say vw.
I desperately want to break out and make this my career. (plus I don't think my shots are too shabby )
Old 28 Oct 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1139192)   #11
Picturesports
Rookie

Picturesports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a mine field. Photo editors that want the photo for about a millisecond and then the photo is yesterday's news.

Drivers who have forgotten about the sponsor (until it is time to ask for a top up) and then they want a perfect photo of the 6x3 inch patch behind the rear wheel.

Then there are the other drivers who come and find you so that they can send the sponsor something every other weekend as a thank you.

Just how does anyone work it out. We picked a price based on what was reasonable and what the market would stand, accepting that there are people out there who do it for enjoyment, that represented a return on our investment.

Regardless don't ever mention a real J.O.B. to me .....

Last edited by Picturesports; 28 Oct 2004 at 19:13.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 22:38 (Ref:1139346)   #12
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need to make money from this, just like any other accredited photographer. I do not think a public forum is the place to discuss actual figures. I would be happy to respond to any PM however.

For Paul's info, my four figure shot was for use in a large circulation glossy magazine advertisement.

Professional Motorsport Photographer