Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Mar 2012, 23:29 (Ref:3045700)   #1026
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
I need to talk to my brother in law, I think for Xmas I got a bottle of bourbon which I was very happy with but a brand new race car now that's nice.
To much bourbon, perhaps it was your father in-law.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 02:46 (Ref:3045757)   #1027
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Who would want to buy a new NZV8?

I would think they will people who dont have the ability to be competitive with the Greg Murphy's, Kayne Scott's and Johnny Mac's,
but still wish to go racing in that type of class / car.

Which is probably a lot more people than you would expect.
Probably be a few who are new to NZV8's and maybe even the odd one who is new to car racing altogether.

Time will tell.

I think there are probably enough people in NZ to fill NZV8 and the ST fields.
The market out there is always finicky and especially considering just about any motorsport expenditure could be considered non essential.

Everyone has a different price point in either what amount of commercial or B2B backing they can source or what they can fund out of their own pocket.

The free market will sort it all out and it might be the country can support 2 series. We will see.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 04:35 (Ref:3045768)   #1028
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
I cant see why the new NZV8 class cant work.There are plenty of good drivers out there looking for a chance to move up--and an incentive.
the new cars will be reasonably similar and gives a base for everyone to be competitive.you wont see 10 year old chassis technology up against current thinking and an engine builder war going on.Yes we will still have engineering prowess to factor in ,but most classes have that.
Just because you dont see the names of Baird,scott,manuell,Booth etc on the entry list doesnt mean the class will fail, and certainly does not mean that all the names we dont hear about all the time 'cant drive'.
there is now an opportunity for some new names to emerge as well as some new teams and new sponsors.
Also ,correct me if i am wrong but ST is pretty much full now and apart from the odd driver dropping out each year will stay that way for the next couple of seasons at least,so with the new NZV8 class being not a million miles away from ST it must have appeal to the other aspiring drivers out there,and there must be plenty who dream of being able to drive in a big class as they develope--thats why a good percentage of young guys go racing in the first place.
i hear a whisper that TMC management of the series is in for a fairly sizeable shakeup---which it certainly needs to regain some credibility.
I am not a part of motorsport hiearchy but have a lifetime in the sport and while ST is a neat new class there is also the 'rest' of nz motorsport and if the powers that be do finally listen to the groundswell of discontent within the ranks then it wont take a huge amount to fix and move on,
in my opinion that is.........
well said!
Old 21 Mar 2012, 05:50 (Ref:3045776)   #1029
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
well said!
cheers promax,
i would add the following to what i said before;
Short/evans/lester/leitch/both lauders/cox/mark gibson/waite/hanley/edgell/alexander/leitch again(other one)/just to name a few young prospects---and quite a few missed.all the stars started from scratch as well rememeber and went through good and bad periods before finding their feet.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 10:23 (Ref:3045854)   #1030
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The market out there is always finicky and especially considering just about any motorsport expenditure could be considered non essential.

Everyone has a different price point in either what amount of commercial or B2B backing they can source or what they can fund out of their own pocket.

The free market will sort it all out and it might be the country can support 2 series. We will see.
I concur with that!
Old 21 Mar 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3046192)   #1031
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
cheers promax,
i would add the following to what i said before;
Short/evans/lester/leitch/both lauders/cox/mark gibson/waite/hanley/edgell/alexander/leitch again(other one)/just to name a few young prospects---and quite a few missed.all the stars started from scratch as well rememeber and went through good and bad periods before finding their feet.
it will great to see an injection of new (and old) faces in the series. throw in a dozen or so new cars and the disappointments of the previous season will soon be forgotten. should be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3046266)   #1032
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
it will great to see an injection of new (and old) faces in the series. throw in a dozen or so new cars and the disappointments of the previous season will soon be forgotten. should be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.
It will be a titanic struggle to make up the ground lost this season, further ground will be lost as the ST machine continue on, as their season is jus beginning. By the end of the ST season, the racing public will only be talking about the ST and unfrotuately not NZV8.

What is needed is some new blood in the way of named drivers, but they will be difficult to find, as their mates will be driving in the opposition competition. Which they will see as being the premium series here.
Jason Bargwanna will never be enough on his own and flogging young and up and coming drivers from other categories, is not the complete answer, this will only weaken the overall racing program you are trying to sell.

You can not just think NZV8 and kill the interest in the other classes, which is very strong at preasent, by doing this would be the quickest way of destroying our support categories. Not a very sensible approach to solving the problem.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3046297)   #1033
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
again the obsession with so called star NZ drivers? does NZ have drivers in this country who's name alone will sell 10s of thousands of ticket? sure guys like murphy and reid have a large following.. but you're kidding yourself if you think tickets sales are solely based on the involvement of so called star local drivers.. who to be perfectly blunt.. aren't exactly on the same level as a Dan Carter, Richie McCaw, etc when it comes to star power. anyways.. most people buy race tickets to watch loud, brightly painted race cars go fast. CMC and F5000.. both very popular classes.. yet neither class is full of so called star drivers? hmm i wonder why?

a bunch of NZV8s that look like these cars..

won't have trouble selling tickets
Old 22 Mar 2012, 01:08 (Ref:3046305)   #1034
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
What a load of tosh
Old 22 Mar 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3046312)   #1035
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
oh it's true
Old 22 Mar 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3046315)   #1036
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
oh it's true
You sounded so sincere, that you nearly had me believing you.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 03:37 (Ref:3046338)   #1037
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Funny how the top star in the ST cant do any better than the middle of the bottom half of the field in the V8SC, that's if he manages to finish a race without everybody taking him out of course.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 03:49 (Ref:3046340)   #1038
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Funny how the top star in the ST cant do any better than the middle of the bottom half of the field in the V8SC, that's if he manages to finish a race without everybody taking him out of course.
Well thats motor racing..
Old 22 Mar 2012, 04:10 (Ref:3046346)   #1039
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
a bunch of NZV8s that look like these cars..

won't have trouble selling tickets

You sure about that Promax? you think the NZV8 will look like some sort of cross over between the merc and the T8 Falcon? well dreams are free i suppose. For a start it wont have centre nuts thats for sure, and half of the gizmos that are attached to the rear windows wont be there either (water for brakes, cooling chutes for dry ice etc, and possibly airjacks - but these may or may not appear on the new NZV8 - no one has any information/pictures/youtube footage of anything).

Its thats great 'keep you on the edge of your seat' marketing campaign that they seem to be adopting at the moment.

Its like a game of hide and seek.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 04:39 (Ref:3046351)   #1040
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
well i'm pretty sure a FG NZV8 will look like a FG V8SC.. since they use the same aero kit

who knows what the NZV8 merc will look like
Old 22 Mar 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3046353)   #1041
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
You sure about that Promax? you think the NZV8 will look like some sort of cross over between the merc and the T8 Falcon? well dreams are free i suppose. For a start it wont have centre nuts thats for sure, and half of the gizmos that are attached to the rear windows wont be there either (water for brakes, cooling chutes for dry ice etc, and possibly airjacks - but these may or may not appear on the new NZV8 - no one has any information/pictures/youtube footage of anything).

Its thats great 'keep you on the edge of your seat' marketing campaign that they seem to be adopting at the moment.

Obviously Mr STFan, you haven't bothered to do any home work on the new nzv8. For one air jacks are standard issue, not a 7k 'upgrade'.
There's plenty of footage of the car on Facebook and YouTube if you care to look for it.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3046354)   #1042
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

is the marketing for the public? ...or the competitor.the new NZV8 is no secret to anyone wanting to be involved and if you ASK as i have done there is all the info available re cost's /spec/build/time frames/ etc etc as i would expect inquiring into any class.
i think the general NZ public wont really care about the 2x classes of v8, they go to watch V8's full stop and some of them will get a few bites of the cherry spectator wise so they probably wont be complaining.
i have always said that the only constant in motorsport in new Zealand is "motorsport NZ" and they will still be there long after v8's are gone and we are racing battery and hydrogen powered 3 x wheelers....
Old 22 Mar 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3046358)   #1043
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
here ya go stfan

go on tuesday and get all your questions answered
Old 22 Mar 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3046367)   #1044
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
It will be a titanic struggle to make up the ground lost this season, further ground will be lost as the ST machine continue on, as their season is jus beginning. By the end of the ST season, the racing public will only be talking about the ST and unfrotuately not NZV8.

What is needed is some new blood in the way of named drivers, but they will be difficult to find, as their mates will be driving in the opposition competition. Which they will see as being the premium series here.
Jason Bargwanna will never be enough on his own and flogging young and up and coming drivers from other categories, is not the complete answer, this will only weaken the overall racing program you are trying to sell.

You can not just think NZV8 and kill the interest in the other classes, which is very strong at preasent, by doing this would be the quickest way of destroying our support categories. Not a very sensible approach to solving the problem.
Jerico, there is a thread for NZST, go and push your barrow there, next to nothing constructive from your posts on this thread.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3046376)   #1045
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
Jerico, there is a thread for NZST, go and push your barrow there, next to nothing constructive from your posts on this thread.

I am sure that I am on the right thread Joe, I was not pushing ST on this thread, I was just stating that it's going to be an uphill struggle to get the new MRX off the ground. I was trying to be logical by saying that we must not poach to many drivers from the support categories, so as to fill the nzv8 field and try and get some named drivers.

This thread is here for debate and not cheer leading, just like every other thread is on this site.

Just be careful Joe, as you are attacking me and not my post, so lets try and give Woolley the night off tonight.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3046384)   #1046
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post

I am sure that I am on the right thread Joe, I was not pushing ST on this thread, I was just stating that it's going to be an uphill struggle to get the new MRX off the ground. I was trying to be logical by saying that we must not poach to many drivers from the support categories, so as to fill the nzv8 field and try and get some named drivers.

This thread is here for debate and not cheer leading, just like every other thread is on this site.

Just be careful Joe, as you are attacking me and not my post, so lets try and give Woolley the night off tonight.
guys ,chill.it's not the end of the world.

i would think most guys in the support categories would gladly give a right testicle to race in one of the countries top categories--i dont think poaching is remotely an applicable term for natural progression.
from my perpective and i am sure from the perspective of many competitors and "fathers", we have been in a state of flux over the past 2-3 seasons knowing that change was imminent in v8's and would you spend $80-100k(18months ago) to get into v8's when you new the cars would soon be obsolete !!!!! and virtually impossible to sell.
i honestly beleive that even some of the challenge cup guys will in time end up in the MNZ v8's because they cant get a foot into the ST v8's as most holes are filled.nothing underhand about that--its just that those boys want to be in a big class too and i guess if i really took to heart what was said in these forums it would be clear from posters that these guys are not up to standard to run with the superstars but ok to be second class program fillers.
there is nothing quite like something NEW to bring people out of the woodwork.
i think remember also that probably about 1%(might be a bit high here) of motorsport competitors/enthusiasts and general public have ever heard about motorsport forums===let alone had a look online at them.
your average guy sees a v8 class--and another v8 class and goes woopee this is good,'i need to mow the lawns during the week'....
Old 22 Mar 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3046388)   #1047
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
There are a couple of dudes on here that are consumed with hate and when the BNT V8's didn't collapse like they thought they cant handle it.
Time will heal...... now come on lets all have a group hug.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3046393)   #1048
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
There are a couple of dudes on here that are consumed with hate and when the BNT V8's didn't collapse like they thought they cant handle it.
I think that goes for both sides (though I am not one of them). I don't think anyone wants to see the collapse of the BNT V8's but there are some who wonder how viable the series will be when it is clearly not going to be "Top Dog" next season (i.e. fastest etc. with the most money).

However, I would like to see the next gen of cars run, and I don't see why we can't have both. Pity that TMC have to be involved though...
Old 22 Mar 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3046405)   #1049
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
No haters here I don't think! Are you sure you are on the right thread?

Not really the touchy feely type myself so may give the group hug a miss if that's ok.
Old 22 Mar 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3046426)   #1050
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
No problem, cant say i didn't try