Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Aug 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3448913)   #226
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BF3 will have 7 cars as the UK's domestic version of Pastor Maldonado will race in the British GT series. Yes, Alex MacDowall is here!
Old 29 Aug 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3448964)   #227
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's toys out of pram - much like United Autosports and their McLarens.

So it seems. Sounds like they're selling off the Bentley to fund something else that will help them be more competitive
Old 30 Aug 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3449035)   #228
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So it seems. Sounds like they're selling off the Bentley to fund something else that will help them be more competitive
Hopefully they remember to change their team name.
Old 30 Aug 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3449099)   #229
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's safe to say I saw that coming! The Beechdean Aston is the car to beat around here. Minshaw/Keene managed to sneak into 2nd on the grid. Should be a fun one, although something would have to go wrong with Beechdean's race for them to lose imo. The Beechdean GT4 car of Giddings/Wylie claimed class pole as well. A good Saturday for Mr Howard! Attard/Sims are 8th, behind the White/Sharp Aston.

http://www.britishgt.com/newsitem.php?key=2166
Old 30 Aug 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3449102)   #230
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Toyota actually turned some laps and was kind of competitive with the GT4s!
Old 30 Aug 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3449106)   #231
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Toyota was there?! Am I dreaming?!
Old 31 Aug 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3449308)   #232
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed in Motorsport magazine this month there is an advert placed by United Autosport selling off a couple of their historic motors, but also the Audi currently used in BGT - said the car can be observed in action at Brands and Donington, and will be available for sale immediately afterwards.

Wonder what they're moving on to? Are they abandoning GTs completely in favour of BTCC? Hopefully not.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3449311)   #233
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I doubt that highly, they may just be moving on from the Audis. The McLaren cars are still running, aren't they?!

Meanwhile, Nick Tandy won with David Ashburn (is he ever going to retire? Because he's already done that twice...). Phil Keen led but in the final 10 minutes, he suffered a puncture! The Beechdean Aston finished 16th from pole (no idea what happened!) whilst Sims and Attard finished 4th.

This means only one thing:

Only Alex Sims can deny teammate and co-driver Marco Attard the British GT title heading into Donington Park. This sounds highly unlikely to me...
Old 31 Aug 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3449314)   #234
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Could see United Autosport moving on from GTs, much as I hope they don't - never really reached their potential.

Looking forward to Donington next month, glad there will still be a title up for deciding (apparently the #4 Motorbase Aston can still win if the BMW fails to score).
Old 31 Aug 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3449319)   #235
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
The Beechdean Aston finished 16th from pole (no idea what happened!)
Brake issues, a spin and a collision with another car I think.
Old 31 Aug 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3449329)   #236
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
apparently the #4 Motorbase Aston can still win if the BMW fails to score.
I forgot to add up everyone's totals, I just added the 2 protagonists! Oops...

...but that's good. I doubt something will go wrong for Attard but I feel morally inclined to support any Aston Martin...
Old 31 Aug 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3449343)   #237
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
From what I've seen 2 years ago (on tellie, unfortunately not in real life...) the races were really entertaining (and you get to watch 3 of them!), lots of battles and close racing all race long, definitely worth a recommendation!

Btw, what is CoB?
Champion of Brands, which was the race of the weekend!

(oops, should I be saying that in here?)

Decent GT race too.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 10:56 (Ref:3449445)   #238
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I enjoyed the GT race - what happened to the Bentley? I assume a mechanical issue as it looked to be in one piece still. Those BMW's sound superb flat out don't they? Pity the Beechdean Aston had problems - could have been a good scrap at the front with the Porkers. Also the variety of cars in GT4 made that a bit more interesting too - it was overly reliant on Ginettas last time I saw it - so to add Lotus, BMW, Aston Martin and Porsche certainly makes it more interesting. The Toyota looked to be reasonably competitive too - but it didn't make a very nice noise!

F3 needs to be binned from the meeting - 7 cars on the GP loop is never going to be good. Still, I guess it gave people time to wander round the paddock.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3449511)   #239
Andy 308GTB
Rookie

England
Essex
Andy 308GTB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The commentary at the time, said that the Beechdean GT3 car had issues with the brakes - i.e. that they were binding. The effect of this was expected to diminish as the race progressed.

Clearly it was bit worse than that.

After a cracking qualifying performance which potentially put them firmly back in the Championship chase, they must have been gutted. However, I saw Mr. Howard heading back to the pitlane after the chequered flag and he appeared to have retained his cheerful demeanour.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3449559)   #240
BG76
Rookie

England
Cambridgeshire
BG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thoroughly enjoyed another drama-filled British GT race at Brands Hatch! Fantastic to see Nick Tandy and David Ashburn get another win.

A great meeting on the whole, except for the embarrassing F3 effort, I think it's time to say goodbye to that championship.

I've uploaded a few photos from the weekend, thanks for looking!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/992298...7647122282935/
Old 1 Sep 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3449576)   #241
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
...what happened to the Bentley? I assume a mechanical issue as it looked to be in one piece still...
From the interview with the co-driver it was suspected to be the gearbox. Before it disappeared I last saw it between Hawthorn & Westfield with a fine but visible smoke trail coming from underneath.

Another quality field and race and a decent sized crowd was also good to see - who would have put money on David Ashburn coming back for his first race in a while with a win. Having Nick Tandy certainly helped, but David didn't disgrace himself in his stint and showed a decent turn of speed. Roll on Donington for the final (Timetable)

However please either dump the F3 or have 2 races on Saturday and the third as the first or last races on Sunday so we can arrive late/depart early without missing anything interesting.
Old 1 Sep 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3449581)   #242
Andy 308GTB
Rookie

England
Essex
Andy 308GTB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
However please either dump the F3 or have 2 races on Saturday and the third as the first or last races on Sunday so we can arrive late/depart early without missing anything interesting.
In all the blurb about the British F3 series, the elephant in the room is the lack of entrants. Despite this. SRO must have a plan. Either they think they can turn it around next season or they will ditch it - which would be a shame as it has such a history.
Costs much have played a factor in its demise (£500k for a season I think was seen as a minimum budget). The teams still involved (Carlin/Fortec/DoubleR) are serious teams - which I suppose is a reflection of the size of the budget.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3452226)   #243
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
http://www.britishgt.com/newsitem.php?key=2189

The British GT finale is this weekend at Donington Park. The BGT website preview I've linked in above has the entry list, who's in contention, and all that.

Should be a good race (that is the norm these days) and whilst Attard will almost inevitably take the title, expect Ahmad Al Harthy and Michael Caine to be right at the front to capitalise on any misfortune for the BMW driver. And, seeing as Al Harthy and Caine drive an Aston, I will be cheering them on.

I won't be there, but whoever is there should have a good day out. Just remember to do something during the F3 race, which has returned to a meagre 5 car grid (if you want to comment on that, please do in the "silly season" thread).
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3452229)   #244
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Looking forward to it; will be a bit of a flying visit on the Sunday for the main race, but Donington is a lovely track to be at. Here's hoping the weather holds as well as it did last year.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3452971)   #245
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well, Caine and Al Harthy have done all they can with pole, but with Attard second on the grid, they'll have to create their own perfect scenario or bank on a car problem if Sims gets in the BMW...
Old 14 Sep 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3453255)   #246
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Well that was fun, Attard is champion but the car gave up in the opening laps after smoking heavily. Al-Harthy was superb in the opening stint and the #5 was backing up everyone else allowing him to escape, but Motorbase didn't pit both cars until later than the others, so the Trackspeed car was out with Phil Keen at the wheel. After Caine took over the #4, he was in the lead but the extra weight he was carrying took its toll and it was a matter of time until Keen got past, pursued by really impressive Olly Hancock.

Rambling there, but another good two-hour race and I hope the main contenders are back for another year next season.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3453259)   #247
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes, Attard had issues early on, but 4th wasn't enough for Al Harthy/Caine.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3453330)   #248
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another great days racing from the British GT crew, well done to Attard for getting the title, tho not in the easy way.
Feel sorry for Al Harthy and Caine, for 1hour 50mins it was their title then a small brake problem robbed them.
Drive of the day for me was Matt Bell in the UA Audi, was on it from the word go and a nice way to sign off the R8, be a great car for who ever gets it.

Heres my vid of the action, all comments welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7pfME3XTo
Old 14 Sep 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3453332)   #249
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Great job by that McLaren taking himself out at the Old Hairpin. Also, waved yellow (aka stationary) at 00:58 yet the #29 Ferrari still decides to get alongside another car...
Old 14 Sep 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3453336)   #250
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Great video sir, much better than the one channel 4 produce! Much more immersive. On a side note, pretty sure I nearly bumped into you a couple of times, we were at the same spots of the track at the same time it seems.