Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 May 2009, 00:32 (Ref:2466112)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Corvette LMP1 That Never Was

A friend of mine works at Pratt & Miller and he took me on a tour of the P&M facilities last week. One of the most interesting things I got to see was the wind tunnel model of P&M's proposed Corvette LMP1.

Due to the economy, reg changes, and GM's troubles, the car never went any further than this model, but the thing looks absolutely AMAZING! It really has a LOT of Corvette in its design and obviously was designed from the outset to look like a Corvette. This obviously was GM's take on the proposed LMP1 EVO regulations that never came to fruition.

I'm excited to see the GT2 car take on all comers, but oh, what could have been...

Now that my buddy checked with the powers-that-be and he gave me the thumbs up, I can share them with you guys!

Enjoy!

Old 21 May 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2466123)   #2
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very cool! Thanks. Too bad it never happened even though I wasn't keen on the EVO rules.
Old 21 May 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2466126)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Many thanks for sharing this with us WMUCarguy!! Wow that looks really nice, makes you wonder how competitive it couldve been.
Old 21 May 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2466128)   #4
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Many thanks for sharing this with us WMUCarguy!! Wow that looks really nice, makes you wonder how competitive it couldve been.
Had the LMP1 Evo rules gone into effect, everyone would essentially be starting from a clean sheet of paper, so I'd expect they'd do pretty well. Pratt & Miller is a MUCH more capable firm than many of the current smaller LMP producers, so I'd put my money on them doing pretty well.

Sadly that bet will never be taken.
Old 21 May 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2466267)   #5
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Had the LMP1 Evo rules gone into effect, everyone would essentially be starting from a clean sheet of paper, so I'd expect they'd do pretty well. Pratt & Miller is a MUCH more capable firm than many of the current smaller LMP producers, so I'd put my money on them doing pretty well.

Sadly that bet will never be taken.
Was there any hint or suggestion from your mate re anything happening in the future (post recession) other than the GT2 Corvette?
You can tell us, we will keep it to ourselves
Old 21 May 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2466286)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
looks a bit like an updated IMSA Corvette GTP

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2466339)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
looks a bit like an updated IMSA Corvette GTP
Agree
Old 21 May 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2466390)   #8
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Remember ACO's mockup from 2007?

Old 21 May 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2466479)   #9
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Remember ACO's mockup from 2007?

It's almost identical in most respects. I'm wondering if that rendering wasn't done by P&M in the first place and just used as the poster child for EVO.
Old 21 May 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2466480)   #10
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Was there any hint or suggestion from your mate re anything happening in the future (post recession) other than the GT2 Corvette?
You can tell us, we will keep it to ourselves
He didn't know, but at this point, it's not looking like that car will ever be elligible to race anywhere, so I'm not getting any hopes up.
Old 21 May 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2466531)   #11
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks so much different to current LMP regs. So this was made in approx 2007 after the LMP Evo proposals came out?

Enormous splitter and tiny diffuser.. I wonder how that would have worked out for downforce balance.
Old 21 May 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2466784)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
That looks so much different to current LMP regs. So this was made in approx 2007 after the LMP Evo proposals came out?

Enormous splitter and tiny diffuser.. I wonder how that would have worked out for downforce balance.
As well as it works on the Acura, Peugeot, Audi...etc. Same underfloor aero package is on that model as is currently being raced.
Old 21 May 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2466802)   #13
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it was all true then
Old 22 May 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2466948)   #14
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
As well as it works on the Acura, Peugeot, Audi...etc. Same underfloor aero package is on that model as is currently being raced.
I have never noticed the splitter being that big but it's probably to do with the curved shape of the front guard/fender whereas on the current protos they are squared off a bit more.
And it's aluminium so its colour/size stands out so much.
Old 22 May 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2467334)   #15
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still believe its an absolute travesty that the 7.0 GT1 engine has not yet found its way into the back of an LMP1 car......I know Martin Short even visited Katech to scope out the possibility of placing it in the back of his pescarolo LMP1.....then more recently Luc Alphand was trying to piece and LMP1 deal together......but still nobody has done it......personally I believe it will potentially be the best LMP1 gasoline engine if it ever gets into the back of a good LMP1 car......it will have drastically more torque than the Judd or AMR V12......its actually very light considering its capacity too......it was the best GT1 engine ever......the astons could never really compete with it.
Old 22 May 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2467394)   #16
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
No, the splitter on that model makes me think of Tamiya RC cars!
Old 23 May 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2467910)   #17
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
No, the splitter on that model makes me think of Tamiya RC cars!
Well being that it was as a wind tunnel model and far from the finished car, it's pretty likely that what we see here would have changed quite a bit had the car ever actually been made.
Old 24 May 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2468045)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Panoz was investigating the possibility too .

But I hope they change dthe engine regs to include stock blocks ..... I cant see why not .
Old 24 May 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2468094)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I still believe its an absolute travesty that the 7.0 GT1 engine has not yet found its way into the back of an LMP1 car......I know Martin Short even visited Katech to scope out the possibility of placing it in the back of his pescarolo LMP1.....then more recently Luc Alphand was trying to piece and LMP1 deal together......but still nobody has done it......personally I believe it will potentially be the best LMP1 gasoline engine if it ever gets into the back of a good LMP1 car......it will have drastically more torque than the Judd or AMR V12......its actually very light considering its capacity too......it was the best GT1 engine ever......the astons could never really compete with it.
I am surprised too but maybe there's no interest at GM?
or:
Because the rules for production engines were not clear teams went for the safe route?
Old 24 May 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2468173)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
or:
Because the rules for production engines were not clear teams went for the safe route?
Also, in 2011 you won't be able to race production engines!
Old 24 May 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2468223)   #21
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
or:
There was interest by GM at the time when everyone was under the impression that Evo would be the future of GM, and from the sound of it, GM was really the only one that was really interested in Evo happening. Whether production engines would have been eligibile wasn't known, but I have to think if they were going to promote the cars that looked more like their road going counterparts, they'd likely encourage them to use engines from road cars as well.
Old 24 May 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2468299)   #22
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
There was interest by GM at the time when everyone was under the impression that Evo would be the future of GM, and from the sound of it, GM was really the only one that was really interested in Evo happening. Whether production engines would have been eligibile wasn't known, but I have to think if they were going to promote the cars that looked more like their road going counterparts, they'd likely encourage them to use engines from road cars as well.
And just why, are homologated GT-1 engines are allowed in as P-1 engines now?!

L.P.
Old 24 May 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2468330)   #23
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
Obviously I know they're allowed now. I'm saying that we don't know for sure whether they would have been allowed per Evo regulations. We can assume they would, but since Evo isn't happening now, we'll never know for sure.
Old 28 May 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2470961)   #24
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
acox93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
It was to encourage more manufacurers to join LMP1, which it did in astons case.
Old 28 May 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2471285)   #25
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who knows me will realize what a big statement this is: I would have LOVED to see that car racing. I personally adored the idea of the EVO rules, though I also love the current P1 cars as well (I still think that they could have found a balanced way to have them both). I would love if at least the new GT1's moved to something looking more like this. The Ford GT1 already looks close, and I would imagine the Lamborghini will be awesome as well. That vette looks sick though... only thing better would have been a Viper done in the same way... ;-)

pit