Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Aug 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3288137)   #1326
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love the team and the spirit, but I am not sure he can buy a good car and engine for €4 million, and he sure can't run it for that. I really don't want to see him make a half-mule effort and fold up, broke, with nothing halfway through the 24 ... again.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3288246)   #1327
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGE View Post
The car, nobody knows who´s the owner.
I haven't heard anything about that . Can you please fill me in a bit more on this ?
Old 11 Aug 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3288247)   #1328
FGE
Rookie

Germany
Lüneburg
FGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.adess-ag.com/content/down...OTUS-T-128.pdf

http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/..._13061908.html

Last edited by FGE; 11 Aug 2013 at 09:24.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3288259)   #1329
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As others have said - Henri + Adess has bad idea written all over it.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3288274)   #1330
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Henri needs something seriously solid and dependable, both in terms of reasonable performance and financial security, otherwise he will eventually disappear without trace...... It's all very nice and romantic as a notion, and no-one wants to see it more than me - and everyone else along the start straight at Le Mans this year - but it has to work this time....
Old 11 Aug 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3288281)   #1331
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most important task is to get those 4 million, with them in the balance would be possible to select a car and an engine.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3288291)   #1332
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Henri being wise? He is basically starting again. Surely it would be better to find his feet in LMP2 first, at least for a season.

He rushed in to 2012, and he rushed in to the decision to race the Pug in 2010.

For a man who is so experienced at Le Mans, he sadly seems to have misjudged the risks he's been taking in recent years.

The only thing going for him is the sponsorship that he could raise. He's always had his cars plastered with logos from French companies, and some big ones too like Gran Turismo and Playstation. The Pescarolo name is a name that means a lot to a lot of people. Stalls at Le Mans this year were still selling the merchandise and fans had flags with the green helmet on them.

That's got to be worth something.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 12:58 (Ref:3288309)   #1333
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
He needs to ensure he gets someone to look after the business side as he clearly pretty inept at that.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3288323)   #1334
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
He needs to ensure he gets someone to look after the business side as he clearly pretty inept at that.
Totally agree with you there Mal but Henri has had those before and they have fallen out when he does not get his way
Old 11 Aug 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3288336)   #1335
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering Pescarolo´s history, if you are going to sell or lease him a chasis/engine you´ll ask him to put a lot of collaterals to protect a possible default.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3288343)   #1336
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Is Henri being wise? He is basically starting again. Surely it would be better to find his feet in LMP2 first, at least for a season.

He rushed in to 2012, and he rushed in to the decision to race the Pug in 2010.

For a man who is so experienced at Le Mans, he sadly seems to have misjudged the risks he's been taking in recent years.

The only thing going for him is the sponsorship that he could raise. He's always had his cars plastered with logos from French companies, and some big ones too like Gran Turismo and Playstation. The Pescarolo name is a name that means a lot to a lot of people. Stalls at Le Mans this year were still selling the merchandise and fans had flags with the green helmet on them.

That's got to be worth something.
It could also be that Henri is starting to feel the age pressing on, and therefor wants the last shot(s) to be in the top class?
Quote:
Exactly!
Henri is one of the best men to have on the sporting side of the company, but one of the worst to business side.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3288344)   #1337
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
And he will need something more than 4 mln €. Me too disapprove the pescarolo lmp1 obsession after the 2012 failure. Less than 700.000€ should be enough to buy an oak-morgan chassis to rebrand as pescarolo 02 (funny chassis name chain reaction pescarolo 01 evo - oak pescarolo lmp2 - morgan lmp2 - back pescarolo ) and a nissan engine supply, running an easy and troubleless season in WEC lmp2 class as top tier. It would be possible also to set a side GT program. Buying a pair of gt3 cars to run in FFSA and blancpain. All this with less than 4 mln €, waiting for better times.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3288372)   #1338
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Henri needs something seriously solid and dependable, both in terms of reasonable performance and financial security, otherwise he will eventually disappear without trace...... It's all very nice and romantic as a notion, and no-one wants to see it more than me - and everyone else along the start straight at Le Mans this year - but it has to work this time....
This is exactly what I was saying when I heard of the AMR/Pescarolo effort , and everybody was saying , I don't care , I would rather see him on the grid that another Gt ..... and look what happened .

All the birds are twittering a new song now , eh ?
Old 11 Aug 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3288388)   #1339
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with everyone else I would like to see Henri back on the grid. I say that, because I am about to be a little critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Henri is one of the best men to have on the sporting side of the company, but one of the worst to business side.
I wonder about this. I agree that someone on the business side would help. However, is he one of the best to have? His advantage is his French name to gather support and sponsorship. Do you think that now he is a good team boss? Has he made the right decisions for the team generally and in the race? Politically he may even be a liability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvelenamento View Post
And he will need something more than 4 mln €. Me too disapprove the pescarolo lmp1 obsession after the 2012 failure. Less than 700.000€ should be enough to buy an oak-morgan chassis to rebrand as pescarolo 02 (funny chassis name chain reaction pescarolo 01 evo - oak pescarolo lmp2 - morgan lmp2 - back pescarolo ) and a nissan engine supply, running an easy and troubleless season in WEC lmp2 class as top tier. It would be possible also to set a side GT program. Buying a pair of gt3 cars to run in FFSA and blancpain. All this with less than 4 mln €, waiting for better times.
Yes, maybe 4m Euros isn't best spent in LMP1. However it may not be a simple to just spend it on other classes and series. Would he get 4m to spend on the lesser profile of LMP2 and Blancpain?
Old 11 Aug 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3288433)   #1340
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
This is exactly what I was saying when I heard of the AMR/Pescarolo effort , and everybody was saying , I don't care , I would rather see him on the grid that another Gt ..... and look what happened .

All the birds are twittering a new song now , eh ?
Not really. None of us knew how lame that project was going to be. And I would still rather see him on the grid with a proto than another GT........
Old 11 Aug 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3288435)   #1341
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Yes, maybe 4m Euros isn't best spent in LMP1. However it may not be a simple to just spend it on other classes and series. Would he get 4m to spend on the lesser profile of LMP2 and Blancpain?
I think you're right in suspecting probably not. The big money would come from seeing Henri 'taking it to the big boys'.......
Old 11 Aug 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3288451)   #1342
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I've long bought into the view that Henri was a great racer but less impressive on the business side, but when you break it down does this really hold water as an argument?

He managed to survive the loss of the Elf La Filiere programme, and then the Peugeot pull out without necessarily any really ill effects, and it was only with the Bouchut affair in 2006 and the resulting departure of Matmut that caused issues - leading to the Sora tie up - which had the sort of bad results I think we all know about. So - mistake one, hacking off a key sponsor at an important time.

I'm reluctant to cast any aspersions about the failure to insure the 908 - when we scratch beneath the surface I wonder how many prototypes are carrying fully comprehensive policies in June.

The Luxury engagement last year I'd chalk up as mistake number 2 - which led him down the path of thinking the 03 was a valid project, being fatally delayed, and the second collapse of the team.

Outside of that however has there been a real failing on the business side that's out of the ordinary in terms of others in the prototype ranks over the last 10 years?
Old 11 Aug 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3288516)   #1343
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I wonder about this. I agree that someone on the business side would help. However, is he one of the best to have? His advantage is his French name to gather support and sponsorship. Do you think that now he is a good team boss? Has he made the right decisions for the team generally and in the race? Politically he may even be a liability?
The (first) team he build up has always been considered one of the best.
And selecting the right people to have by your side is a big part of being a good team boss.

But i'm certain that there has been points where he has been a bigger liability than help. But this is problem in most companies started and run by the founder into old age, where he/she loses the grip of whats necessary. So I wouldn't blame Henri Pescarolo for that personally, I would blame his age for it.

This leads to what is probably my biggest hope for Pescarolo Team/Racing, than Henri manages to succesfully restart the team, and in a year or two establishes on the grid as a Dark Horse, and then retires and let the team live without him.
He has earned to have a team named after him, which outlive him.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3288534)   #1344
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good points isynge and CTD, I guess I was mainly thinking of more recent times.

As for blame, there is no blame. It is his team so he can run it how he feels fit.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3288590)   #1345
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt the more logical answer for Mr Pescarolo to try and entice a manufacturer to the sport? Surely there are a number of car makers in emerging markets looking to build some brand cache with some motorsport involvement

You might imagine that a Geely, Great Wall, Proton, MG etc etc willing to fund an engine at somewhere like IES in the brand of the company's choice, and pay Mr Pescarolo to run the car.. or cars..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Aug 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3288661)   #1346
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
He was also bailed out by Jacques Nicolet when the business failed - and deciding to run and AMR one was that really a good decision??

I really hope he pulls off another chance and if one of the off the shelf P1's turns out to be good then there is always a chance. After all Henri has come closer than anyone to achieving that in recent times and 2014 is the best chance there is for a clever designer to pull off a surprise.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 07:00 (Ref:3288667)   #1347
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Let's imagine that Henri has success in raising the money, finding a chassis and a good engine.
How many of his previous team is available for hire?
I'm especially thinking of the Team Director (Henri's right hand) who I've always thought to be a big part of the teams success. (unfortunately, I can't remember his name, but I can identify him from pictures)
Old 12 Aug 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3288675)   #1348
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He was also bailed out by Jacques Nicolet when the business failed - and deciding to run and AMR one was that really a good decision??

I really hope he pulls off another chance and if one of the off the shelf P1's turns out to be good then there is always a chance. After all Henri has come closer than anyone to achieving that in recent times and 2014 is the best chance there is for a clever designer to pull off a surprise.
Indeed - but I'd categorise the Nicolet bailout as a long term consequence of losing the Matmut money, which drove him towards Jean Py and Sora, which ultimately led to the collapse of the team. Post Nicolet there was the Luxury affair (compounded by the parting of ways with Jousse, reminiscent of what happened with Bouchut), but I'd argue that the role of Nicolet in this was comparatively minimal - in that he bought the assets, handed Henri the keys and essentially said "off you go".

Attempting to do something with the AMR tub is something I'd see as an attempt to do something innovative to surprise people - it would have been very easy to do a revised bodykit for a Pescarolo 01 (much as Oak did) but inherently that's always something that would probably struggle against a well developed Lola (in the hands of Rebellion) or the HPD - so why not attempt something new, especially when the CFD numbers from Perrin looked so promising and on the surface there was financing in place from Luxury to do it.

Let's fast forward a few months. Let's say Pescarolo finds the €4 million and can run next year - do we want to see him do something relatively conservative, say change his mind about LMP2 and run an Oreca Nissan, or provide the likes of Dome / Perrin / ADESS / Oak with launch customer and a programme, presumably optimised to fly down Le Mans' long straights as quickly as possible, that on the right track could rattle a few cages?
Old 12 Aug 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3288678)   #1349
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Let's imagine that Henri has success in raising the money, finding a chassis and a good engine.
How many of his previous team is available for hire?
I'm especially thinking of the Team Director (Henri's right hand) who I've always thought to be a big part of the teams success. (unfortunately, I can't remember his name, but I can identify him from pictures)
André de Cortanze may be? He designed the toyota gt-one too.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3288689)   #1350
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Henri would like to take place in Le Mans again, the most intelligent thing to do would be buy an used chassis from Oak and use it as the base for his new car. Ok, it would not be a Pescarolo, but what is the alternative choice in his situation?
His budget is not so good (by far) to allow him thinking higher, now.
Anyway, he may try to became consulting for an emerging brand interested to race in Le Mans and WEC.
I would like to see him involved in Alpina project. If Renault come back in Le Mans, Henri may be the right choice to bet.
The same did Mazda with monseur Jacky Ickx, when they come in Le Mans to win: Jacky was a consulting of Oreca team, who raced 787B for Mazdaspeed.
A won bet.
Experience always pays. In a way or another.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR