Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3073264)   #1
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
World Championship Points for Qualifying/Leading a GP?

Weve seen today, saving of tyres for the race during qualifying. A total dull first 10 minutes of Q3 for people that pay good money at the track or on Sky to watch. Ok, the last 4 minutes were good.
Ive always believed that WC Points should be awarded for 1st to 10th in qualifying. It would certainly spice it up, and was mentioned by Sky commentators today.
Also, WC Points should be awarded for laps lead during a GP. It would mix it up well, make strategy planning more eventful, and really create an "edge of the seat" spectacle. After all, if youre leading a GP, even if by default through pitstops, thats one big achievement!
Old 12 May 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3073277)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
We could have 'lucky dog', just like NASCAR!

I don't want to see points for qualifying because that may lead to someone winning a championship on a Saturday. In fact it may lead to someone setting up a car just to get fastest lap in the race to win a championship.
Old 12 May 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3073281)   #3
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
And running out of fuel on his in lap eh??
Old 12 May 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3073283)   #4
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Yeah, sorry, got you wrong. Not for fastest lap in a race. Just leading a lap or quali 1 to 10.
Old 12 May 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3073292)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the spectators trackside this would be a very good thing.
Old 12 May 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3073293)   #6
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
For all spectators surely?
Old 12 May 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3073295)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
And running out of fuel on his in lap eh??
It could happen.

I'm actually OK with drivers choosing not to go out in qualifying to give themselves a better chance in the race. And I definitely would not want to see a championship won on a Saturday.
Old 12 May 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3073298)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
For all spectators surely?
Well yes, but the main people who suffer are those who pay through the nose to be trackside only to see the likes of Vettel do nothing.

If I ever go to a GP again I'll just be going on the Sunday as it is now.
Old 12 May 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3073300)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
I doubt it would. 10 for a pole, down to 1 for tenth
Old 12 May 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3073303)   #10
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well yes, but the main people who suffer are those who pay through the nose to be trackside only to see the likes of Vettel do nothing.

If I ever go to a GP again I'll just be going on the Sunday as it is now.
Agreed, but then Saturday with points would become just as tense as Sunday.
Old 12 May 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3073331)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something like 5-3-2-1 for the top four in qualifying seems reasonable when compared to 25 points for a win, but maybe giving the fastest qualifiers an extra set of new tyres would be a bigger incentive.
Old 12 May 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3073337)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't like it. The race is the race and where prizes equal points. The prize for qualifying should be simply your grid position.

I'd prefer a system whereby drivers and teams are forced to run a certain amount if you could implement that somehow.

I'm not against on the grounds of a driver winning the championship on a Saturday though. I don't see what's wrong with that if that's how the cards fall.
Old 12 May 2012, 23:23 (Ref:3073352)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This years fantasy comp has qually bonus points of 5 for Pole, 2 for reaching Q3 and 1 for reaching Q2. It also has clear rules for Grid drop penalties and how they might affect the bonus structure.

I'll post an update on Qually bonus points after this race.
Old 13 May 2012, 02:44 (Ref:3073426)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
Something like 5-3-2-1 for the top four in qualifying seems reasonable when compared to 25 points for a win, but maybe giving the fastest qualifiers an extra set of new tyres would be a bigger incentive.
Points for qualifying fourth? I wouldn't like that either.

If the points gap between 1st and 2nd finishers is 7 points, the polesitter shouldn't get more than 2 points.
Old 13 May 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3073446)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

In answer to the thread title, why not also have points for turning up in a red car? Or having a stunning girlfriend? Ooh I know let's give points to a driver who has the slowest car but is a good bloke.

Jeez, why do we need points for everything? Go back to top six race finishers 9, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and be done with it.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

Sorry I guess I'm just fed up with this attitude of giving everyone a point just because life is unfair.
Old 13 May 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3073460)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points for qualifying? Come on guys! It just qualifying, the only reason it exists is because it's the fairest method of determining the grid. If it were possible to start a race from the same or even location, it wouldn't exist. It's not a big deal in any other context.
Old 13 May 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3073496)   #17
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be in favour of giving a few points for pole position. With 25 for a win, 2 points for pole and 2 for fastest lap would be ok. But no more than that. Qualifying isn't important. No other motorsport series views qualifying the way that F1 does. Presumably that is because in previous years it has been so crucial to qualify well if you want to achieve a good result.

What I definitely wouldn't want is a touring cars-style system where leading the race gets you a point. In touring cars, with no pitstops in the BTCC, generally drivers get this point on merit for leading a race. In F1 you can lead a race because everyone who was in front of you has pitted for tyres. So you'd get a point for messing up your race. Why would you want to reward that?
Old 13 May 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3073498)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Of course points is just one idea. The main thing is to get the drivers out running on the absolute limit on Saturday. There is no finer sight in racing than man and machine on the absolute limit. Not much of that nowadays in qualifying and certainly not in the race.
Old 13 May 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3073508)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awarding points for qualifying goes against the spirit and purpose of that part of the race weekend. Moreover, with the current post-qualifying parc fermé and tyres qualifying has become a part of the race and does not show the true pace of each driver.
Old 13 May 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3073524)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The main thing is to get the drivers out running on the absolute limit on Saturday. There is no finer sight in racing than man and machine on the absolute limit. Not much of that nowadays in qualifying and certainly not in the race.
I think this is the crux of the matter, although I disagree with Knowlesy about much of the criticism of rhe races. I would like to see on-the-limit qualifying on fumes. Just make sure you have enough in the tank to get back.
Old 13 May 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3073529)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok being serious. It appears to me that we are, as seems to happen more and more these days, taking the effect and making it the cause. In fact the cause is the tyre rules creating the effect of non qualification. Ergo people wanted the excitement of unpredictability thus they must accept the resultant lack of running in qualifying.

For me all that has happened is the reality of racing has been taken away and we now have a totally false situation. Makes for great TV so let's not complain. If I want to watch racing I go to an HSCC or any other club event. The current F1 is at least entertaining.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3073537)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Points for qualifying? I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to win the WDC in qualifying? Surely the race is supposed be where a driver wins the championship.

Do I get a point for banging on about this?
Old 13 May 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3073589)   #23
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Do I get a point for banging on about this?
Absolutely not, to get points you need to get a top 10 place in the race, nothing else will do and that's the way it should stay, (except maybe ten is too many, let's go back to six).
Old 13 May 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3074057)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
No other motorsport series views qualifying the way that F1 does.
Indianapolis 500.
Old 14 May 2012, 01:26 (Ref:3074095)   #25
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have mixed feelings here.

Once upon a time I would dismiss it all outright for being a gimmick. However, I sort of like the idea of appreciating efforts througout the weekend. For example, topping the time sheets for all three qualifying rounds seems like a respectable feat of its own, so in a way I would like to see recognition for that, but maybe just a point. The important thing should always be the race by far. I don't know about leading a lap of the race, though. I could be in third and lead a lap just because the first two guys pitted a lap before me.