Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Apr 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3229988)   #1
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Grand Am Barber Motorsports Park

Any ideas why Motors have decided to show this without any commentary at all?

Grand Am as conceptual art installation?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3229989)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They quite routinely have sound problems. Some trackside audio is there so not sure why no comms.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3229990)   #3
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure, but here in North America we're getting Trucks live from Martinsville and Barrett Jackson, so race won't be shown until Late Sunday on television.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3229992)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Not sure, but here in North America we're getting Trucks live from Martinsville and Barrett Jackson, so race won't be shown until Late Sunday on television.
I wonder is anyone actually commentating on it live?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3229995)   #5
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
FCYTravis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Generally, delayed races in the US are done "live to tape" - a full production done as the race happens, only recorded instead of going out live. So I'm guessing Calvin Fish is in the booth with Dorsey... already seen Greg Creamer filling in on pit reporter duty. Why MotorsTV doesn't have commentary, I can only guess some sort of technical issue with the feed.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3230025)   #6
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can get commentary from the Grand Am web-site, as inane as it is.

DK
Old 6 Apr 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3230046)   #7
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Commentary eventually showed up about 40 minutes in.

Genuinely impressed by race, good track, pretty competitive to the end, and compared to what went before, DPs are now perfectly acceptable looking cars.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3230059)   #8
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Close finish the right way---no suspicious yellows (only one yellow all race I think) and real racing in all three classes all the way through.

Pretty good day for Wayne Taylor--- team won the race and his sons in first- and third-place teams.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3230101)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
how did x class go? I think a Caiman showed up for this one?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3230108)   #10
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Skycafe, yes a Cayman showed up. The results are about what you’d expect — the Cayman finished three laps ahead of the first of the Mazdas, with the other Mazda having some issues and finishing a further 20 laps back.

28 cars total at the race: 13 DP, 12 GT after the APR Audi withdrawal earlier this week, and 3 GX.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3230111)   #11
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
Yeah, the GX class is pretty much an exhibition/extended test session this year. Not unusual for a first-year category, I suppose.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:43 (Ref:3230113)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Skycafe, yes a Cayman showed up. The results are about what you’d expect — the Cayman finished three laps ahead of the first of the Mazdas, with the other Mazda having some issues and finishing a further 20 laps back.
I am torn here, the Porsche team is semi-local, and I like the brand, and the Mazda team is semi-local and I like the brand, and I am probably one of five that are actually interested in the class. Oh well.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3230115)   #13
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thought I'd congratulate our man John Edwards for winning GT!
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3230116)   #14
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
And for a year-to-year grid comparison, last year there were also 28 cars at Barber: 9 DP and 19 GT. So good news in DP, not so good news in GT.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 02:27 (Ref:3230144)   #15
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The driving styles (I'd say talent level, but these are the same drivers, just using their talents differently) in both Rolex and Conti have improved markedly.

I think one caution in Rolex and maybe five or six in Conti but half of them for stalled cars, not stupid wrecks (though I did see some "Let me help you spin" moves that would have made a NASCAR driver proud.)

For me that adds immeasurably to my enjoyment.

How the cars look isn't really that important to me (though I realize it matters a lot to some,) but that WTR Dallara-Vette is just brutal-looking.

As a Stevenson fan ... well, Conti didn't work out for them, but John Edwards scored in Rolex. Bravo.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 03:26 (Ref:3230155)   #16
FCYTravis
Racer

United States
Bloomington, Indiana
Agreed, Maelochs. I think some credit definitely has to be given to Paul Walter for laying down the law with regard to body contact, and some credit should be given to the drivers for largely listening to him. With all the gravel traps, Grand-Am Barber races used to turn into yellowfests. In 2006, there were six cautions for an absurd 32 laps. This is much better racing and a better show for the fans.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 05:52 (Ref:3230195)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Any ideas why Motors have decided to show this without any commentary at all?

Grand Am as conceptual art installation?
They were there but fell asleep during the installation lap. zing! I'll be here all week!

No, what FordCosworthPanoz said is correct. The commentary will be added at a later date.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3230660)   #18
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice win for Max the Axe and Jordan Taylor. Also, nice to see Stephenson boys finally have a complete race with no bad luck. Almost got beat by the Ferrari at the end but held him off.

DK
Old 8 Apr 2013, 03:36 (Ref:3230677)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Nice win for Max the Axe and Jordan Taylor. Also, nice to see Stephenson boys finally have a complete race with no bad luck. Almost got beat by the Ferrari at the end but held him off.

DK
I missed the end due to the fact that Speed delayed the tape delay.

I believe a DP has done a 'lawn dart' every year they have been to Barber. That's some dense turf they got over there.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 03:53 (Ref:3230683)   #20
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I missed the end due to the fact that Speed delayed the tape delay.
Me too.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 03:59 (Ref:3230686)   #21
Maelochs
Veteran

Hopefully the race will be up on the Grand Am site soon, for those that set their VCRs thinking SPEED would actually take care in presenting the (already tape-delayed for NASCAR) race.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 04:06 (Ref:3230687)   #22
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Hopefully the race will be up on the Grand Am site soon, for those that set their VCRs thinking SPEED would actually take care in presenting the (already tape-delayed for NASCAR) race.
V C R ?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 04:28 (Ref:3230688)   #23
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports Car Racing in the United States is so popular that we get delayed by The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Barrett Jackson Auto Auctions, and NASCAR post-race.

I bet the ratings were huge...
Old 8 Apr 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3230924)   #24
John Edwards
Rookie

John Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys! It was a great weekend. We probably would have had that win in Continental Tire had I not pulled a rookie mistake and missed a shift. The guys behind me were just as fast but couldn't get a run. My mistake let them by, and after that it was a game of catch up. Still can't complain. The team had flawless races and it felt great to be on the podium twice in a weekend.

If you want the full write up with the details for both races, you can go here: http://bit.ly/1436Vgy. Kelly was there and also took some shots from the weekend that are on my facebook page: http://on.fb.me/14RqW9b.

Next up, Road Atlanta next week!
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3230929)   #25
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Replay also scheduled for SPEED, Thursday, IIRC (not near TV to check)