Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 5 Dec 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3340628)   #1
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8ST - 2014

The release of next years calendar seems like a good time to kick off the 2014 thread.
http://www.v8st.co.nz/series/overall.html
Round 1
Highlands Park Jan 25/26
Round 2
Manfield Feb 8/9
Round 3
Pukekohe Mar 22/23
Round 4
Pukekohe April 25/27 (with V8SC)
Round 5
Taupo Sept 6/7
Round 6
South Island (to be confirmed) Nov 1/2
Round 7
Pukekohe Nov 28/29/30

Interesting things to note are the first 2 rounds are with the TRS, round 4 is with the V8SC (finally) and no Hampton Downs.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3340651)   #2
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard Round 6 is all but confirmed for Ruapuna, anyone able to corroborate that story?

Also my fav question at the moment... VF for 2014?!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3340658)   #3
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
I've heard Round 6 is all but confirmed for Ruapuna, anyone able to corroborate that story?
I hope so, Ruapuna is my local track.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3340682)   #4
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Sounds as though even the drivers were getting sick of all the Hampton rounds this year. From Johnny Mac's facebook page:
Only 49 days till Cromwell, sheesh! JMR #47. Great Calendar though with two trips South, Enduro back at Taupo, Manfeild and the Grand Prix, V8Supercars and even better for us, no Hampton Downs... Roll on the New Season!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 04:44 (Ref:3340692)   #5
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
will V8CC be running in 2014?

and both ST and NZV8s at the GP in feb.. about time
Old 6 Dec 2013, 06:46 (Ref:3340703)   #6
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post

Also my fav question at the moment... VF for 2014?!
Biggy G, as you are well aware I now have no role in the management of V8ST, so any comment I have on anything to do with V8ST is purely from an avid and ongoing supporter of the Category.

Firstly Ruapuna, my advice is don't hold your breath on that wish, unless the Canterbury Car Club is prepared to take a fair share of the financial risk involved. I am aware that Invercargill is making a very strong play for the same round, including making substantial changes to circuit safety concerns in the process.

VF, you have to first ask the question who is going to pay for the VF upgrade? The teams are all cash strapped and have little or no appetite for spending money on cosmetic's, this after all is New Zealand, not Australia.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3340972)   #7
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
VF, you have to first ask the question who is going to pay for the VF upgrade? The teams are all cash strapped and have little or no appetite for spending money on cosmetic's, this after all is New Zealand, not Australia.
A shame if this is the viewpoint of the update, again we see the look of the cars outdated after just 1 season, and no sign of keeping them current. There was always a big fuss about the NZV8's going out of date and not being able to upgrade them to look like what people are seeing on the roads, the V8ST's were setup with one of the selling points being that the cars can be upgraded cosmetically to look current, nothing is going to be done about it and again the general public that you need through the gate are wondering why the cars look 5 years old...

Perhaps you should have built a VF instead of a Hyundai Mark, then you'd have someone to sell panels & moulds to

Just 48 days until the first round at Highlands, gonna come around quick!
Old 7 Dec 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3341081)   #8
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Holden NZ be able to tip any money towards new panels?
Old 7 Dec 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3341098)   #9
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Firstly Ruapuna, my advice is don't hold your breath on that wish, unless the Canterbury Car Club is prepared to take a fair share of the financial risk involved. I am aware that Invercargill is making a very strong play for the same round, including making substantial changes to circuit safety concerns in the process.
Considering that the SI circuits work together & have some mutual respect for other circuits "traditional dates" I can't see Teretonga running V8ST in opposition to the very popular Wigram revival meeting, which has a traditional date of that first weekend in November.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3341371)   #10
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Considering that the SI circuits work together & have some mutual respect for other circuits "traditional dates" I can't see Teretonga running V8ST in opposition to the very popular Wigram revival meeting, which has a traditional date of that first weekend in November.
In my experience the only two South Island clubs that respect each others big meeting dates is Levels and Ruapuna. Teretonga is a unique and much loved circuit by Competitors and spectators alike and unlike Levels and Ruapuna in great financial health. A big once a year International V8ST Enduro at that time of the year, particularly if it could be an enshrined annual event, would be very well supported by the Southland public and offer a very viable alternative to Highlands "Take it or Leave it" track high strategy.

It would also be far less costly to both V8ST and its Teams than Highland's and at that time of the year potentially deliver a better crowd as Teretonga has excellent spectator viewing position around more than half of the track.

I stress again these are my personal thoughts only.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3342477)   #11
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any chance of these events being televised in Aust?
Old 10 Dec 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3342520)   #12
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Is there any chance of these events being televised in Aust?
They already are, on the Speed network.
Old 11 Dec 2013, 03:19 (Ref:3342554)   #13
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HProject View Post
Sure is, Checked out Speed Network while in Sydney over the Weekend, caught the coverage from Pukekohe
Old 11 Dec 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3342702)   #14
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, but is that via Pay TV , Foxtel- when we want to show something and charge you your first born and then some or free to air?

Like the Pink Floyd song " I've got 33 channels of @#$% to choose from"
Old 11 Dec 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3342819)   #15
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Yes, but is that via Pay TV , Foxtel- when we want to show something and charge you your first born and then some or free to air?

Like the Pink Floyd song " I've got 33 channels of @#$% to choose from"
Yeah I get what you mean - how dare they attempt to charge people money for services. Blasphemy I tells ye [/sarcasm].
Old 11 Dec 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3342842)   #16
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I get what you mean - how dare they attempt to charge people money for services. Blasphemy I tells ye [/sarcasm].

I like your sense of humour HP
Old 12 Dec 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3343051)   #17
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
I like your sense of humour HP
You know you need an attitude adjustment when Mark Petch likes your sense of humour

The anti pay-tv argument is a huge pet hate of mine - but most of that's been covered in other threads elsewhere. My household's had pay telly since it was launched in the late 90's - no complaints. The prices are a little high sure - but the prices of iPods are also high, and you don't see me moaning on forums about how I need one for nothing. Like most other crap people buy - you either pay the money for the service/product, or you don't.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3343471)   #18
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Media release: 13th December 2013

NZV8 Touring Cars
www.nzv8touringcars.co.nz

Fabulous News for NZGP and V8 Supercars Events

Motorsport New Zealand's most significant events on the 2014 calendar the New Zealand Grand Prix at Manfeild Park in February and the V8 Supercars Championship at Pukekohe Park Raceway in April will now see both the NZV8 Touring Cars and the V8 Super Tourers on the same race sheet to form an incredibly exciting line up of high kilowatt entertainment for those weekends.

"The NZV8TC invited the owner of Super Tourers to a round table meeting recently and discussed ways in getting both V8 classes racing at some of the same race meetings sometime in the future." said NZV8 Touring Cars chairman Ian Booth.

"The first meeting being the NZGP race meeting in February and then at the V8 Supercars race meeting over ANZAC weekend in April both (NZV8TC and V8ST) as support categories to the V8 Supercars." he said.

The winners are of course the fans who will be able to see both of their national V8 powered touring cars in action at the same weekend at the same venue and see what both these similar yet quite different classes have to offer the avid spectator.

The NZV8 Touring Cars historically have been New Zealand's answer to the Australian Supercars providing a platform for the nation's best drivers to compete and has also included many drivers from Australia's toughest competitions and past World Touring Car Champion Paul Radisich.

Now with the creation of the New Generation NZV8 TLX class the series is forging ahead and was the first series of its type in Australasia to expand outside of the Holden versus Ford template when Toyota joined the competition in January this year.

With V8 Supercar driver Jason Bargwanna piloting the Toyota Camry this season to defend his title against Holden and Ford he may well make history if he can do so in the new to the series brand.

The action will further expand with Nissan set to join the series next season and the team behind the new entry aim to have their brand new Altima V8 on display for the public at the V8 Supercars meeting this April.

Rumoured to also be on the grid next season is a European branded car expanding the NZV8TC into a fully multi-brand V8 powered touring car championship.

The NZV8TC TLX cars share the same chassis and sequential gearbox but must be powered by the relevant brand's own version of a parity controlled V8 powerplant.

Also included in the NZV8 Touring Cars is the very competitive TL class utilising the Holden and Ford race cars built to the specifications of the original NZV8s to provide an excellent, professional and exciting platform for drivers of all ages.

Particularly catered for by the class are those up and coming drivers with an eye on pursuing a career in the top levels of touring car competition.

The logical next step for those drivers is a move up into the NZV8TC is the TLX class which is set to expand quickly over future seasons.

"With a new Nissan Altima and rumour of a possible European brand coming onboard the future of the NZV8 Touring Cars looks very exciting." said Mr Booth.

On the other side of the coin is the V8 Supertourers where many drivers from the original NZV8s left to compete in when the creation of the new series was brought about due to a difference in opinion and passions over the future path for V8 touring car racing here in New Zealand.

This series uses identical chassis and sequential gearbox across the lineup of cars which are paneled as Holden commodores and Ford Falcons all of which are driven by a high powered Chevrolet V8 powerplant and described by the drivers to be of similar feel to the Australian V8 Supercars.

The V8 Supertourers have become popular attracting top drivers from New Zealand and several Australian V8 Supercars drivers including Kiwis Shane van Gisbergen, Scott McLaughlin and the legendary Greg Murphy plus Australians such as Jack Perkins and Jonathan Webb.

The V8 Supertourers season has just come to a close this month at Pukekohe when Holden's Greg Murphy claimed the title ahead of Ant Pederson after completing the enduro leg of their season.

They get underway again over the weekend of January 25 to 26th at Highlands Park in Cromwell.

More on the NZV8 Touring Cars

The NZV8 Touring Cars' season has just begun after a very exciting first round held at the Thunder in the Park event at Pukekohe Park Raceway last month.

Jason Bargwanna drove his Toyota Camry to claim two race victories and the TLX class win ahead of Holden Commodore driver Nick Ross with one race win followed by Shaun Varney in third with his Ford Falcon.

Holden Commodore driver James McLaughlin took out the TL class win ahead of another Holden driver Ian Booth followed by Grant Molloy in a Ford Falcon.

The NZV8 Touring Cars season continues early in 2014 at Invercargill's Teretonga Park over the weekend of 11 to 12th January.

Back to back rounds sees the field head to Timaru International Motor Raceway the following weekend of the 18 to 19th January.

The NZV8 Touring Cars and V8 Supertourers will share their first ever weekend on the race sheet as invitation classes when the New Zealand Grand prix is held at Manfeild Park over the weekend of 8th and 9th of February.

Then both the NZV8 Touring Cars and the V8 Supertourers will be included as support classes for the Australian V8 Supercars event at Pukekohe Park Raceway on the 25 to 27th of April 2014.

NZV8 Touring Cars Calendar
Rd 1 Pukekohe Park Raceway 16-17 November 2013 (completed)
Rd 2 Teretonga Park, Invercargill 11-12 January 2014
Rd 3 Timaru International Motor Raceway 18-19 January 2014
Rd 4 Manfeild, Feilding (NZ Grand Prix) 08-09 February 2014
Rd 5 Taupo Motorsport Park 08-09 March 2014
Rd 6 Pukekohe Park (V8 Supercars) 25-27 April 2014 (ANZAC Weekend)

NZV8 Touring Cars supports the “KID IN CARS CHARITY TRUST”
Old 13 Dec 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3343476)   #19
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Similar article on SpeedCafe
http://www.speedcafe.co.nz/2013/12/1...share-billing/
Old 13 Dec 2013, 05:05 (Ref:3343503)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love, love is in the air, everywhere you look around.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 05:07 (Ref:3343504)   #21
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see the inevitable bickering once it happens. Fred claims NZV8 faster, Joe counters by saying the conditions favoured NZV8 blah blah blah.

Can we put them on the track together?
Old 13 Dec 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3343547)   #22
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
must be a slow news day lol the ST calendar came out a week ago??
Old 13 Dec 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3343583)   #23
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
must be a slow news day lol the ST calendar came out a week ago??
Ah, that is indeed the case Maxi, but this press release came out today and was from the NZV8 Touring Car people rather than the ST camp. NZV8 Touring Cars are 100% owned by Motorsport New Zealand.

That is quite a position change from what some had said a week ago, particularly with regard to the NZGP round. I must say that unless they combine them into one race at the V8SC, fans will be up for quite a lot of the same old same old that weekend.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 04:11 (Ref:3344199)   #24
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't excite me at all. I don't really care how many classes there are for what are effectively similar V8s on the one day. Unless you are a dyed in the wool V8 saloon fan, in which case you'll be rapt, it isn't expanding the fan base one iota, which is what is really required.
Old 15 Dec 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3344233)   #25
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Doesn't excite me at all. I don't really care how many classes there are for what are effectively similar V8s on the one day. Unless you are a dyed in the wool V8 saloon fan, in which case you'll be rapt, it isn't expanding the fan base one iota, which is what is really required.
+ 1