Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2013, 06:08 (Ref:3345306)   #101
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug911 View Post
Must check out the odds on 2015 being Mclaren-Alonso-Brawn (Button?)

I think they will be narrowing by the month! Unless Ron returns of course...
I think the odds are pretty good. McLaren drivers for 2015 could well be F-Alo and K-Mag, with Uncle Ross as TP, and Uncle Ron back at the helm.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3345542)   #102
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No chance of Alonso going back if he's dealing with Ron, absolutely no way. Can't see Fernando going back there in any way, personally...

The Mag signing does have that feeling that it's a shoot-out between two drivers, for one seat in 2015, regardless of who's head-hunted for the number one position in the McLaren Honda team. Just can't imagine it's going to be Nando...

I know there's a positive bit of PR spin from both sides, but just can't see it myself. Happy to be proved wrong
Old 19 Dec 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3345809)   #103
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
No chance of Alonso going back if he's dealing with Ron, absolutely no way. Can't see Fernando going back there in any way, personally...

Both parties want success. If it's not happening for Fernando with Ferrari or McLaren with Jenson then why not, what have they got to lose ?

The dynamics will be different next time. Alonso knows that his junior team mate will not be asked to move out of his way. I also think it will be quite a temptation to work with Honda.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3440341)   #104
321Go
Veteran

Bringing this thread back to life again. Some chat about this in the news lately.

Ferrari have been actively trying to extend Alonso's contract beyond 2015 for the 4 weeks or so. Fernando has not signed. Ferrari have shown him plans of next year's car which Ferrari are saying will be a winner. Alonso being cheeky and saying he always hears the same thing about this time of the year, and it doesn't eventuate.

Fernando celebrated his 33rd B'day on Tuesday, and the first team to wish him a Happy Birthday was apparently McLaren. Followed by Ferrari not long after that. Anything to read into that?? Maybe not. Maybe so.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3440405)   #105
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes! Dump Button, Sign Alonso. As long as he promises not to terrorize Magnussen...
Old 31 Jul 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3440407)   #106
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button will finish his F1 career at the end of this season and debut in the Japanese Super GT and Super Formula.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3440443)   #107
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is Ron Dennis ignoring his own teams failures and blaming the drivers. Button is a proven WDC, much like Alonso, and has hardly put a foot wrong this season. Magnussen has so much potential, and will learn from the driver with the best race craft in the field alongside him. Alonso will likely hamper his progress as a driver (lets face it - he was hardly beneficial for Felipe Massa in his comeback)

I for one am not a huge fan of replacing either McLaren drivers with Alonso, because McLaren need to fix their problems with long-term solutions, not 2 seasons of miracles from their lead driver until he fades/retires, which would then leave them with the same problem to face again.

If I was Button I'd be wondering what I'd have to do to get respect from team owners. If winning a WDC, outscoring Lewis Hamilton across 3 seasons together and hammering Sergio Perez in a way that not even the Hulk can in a single season isn't enough, then what is?
Old 31 Jul 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3440454)   #108
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's hard to look good in such a bad car. Button does not look good, neither does Magnusseen, neither did Perez. All 3 are good / great drivers, but of course the common denominator is the tub they are sat in.

Why would Alonso want to go to McLaren? His beef with Ferrari is the uncompetitive car - but the Ferrari is still ahead of the McLaren every weekend. Perhaps Ron and Eric will bring back the good times next year...
Old 31 Jul 2014, 16:33 (Ref:3440464)   #109
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I'm concerned any one of Button, Perez and Magnussen could've put in a solid title bid if they had the equipment. McLaren haven't allowed their drivers to compete right at the front. As Button said, they all need to try harder.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3440487)   #110
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It's hard to look good in such a bad car. Button does not look good, neither does Magnusseen, neither did Perez. All 3 are good / great drivers, but of course the common denominator is the tub they are sat in.

Why would Alonso want to go to McLaren? His beef with Ferrari is the uncompetitive car - but the Ferrari is still ahead of the McLaren every weekend. Perhaps Ron and Eric will bring back the good times next year...
because of this and Honda.
Old 31 Jul 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3440518)   #111
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

Is the car really that bad?

It is nothing like as bad as last years car and they ended up with a podium in the first race, two podiums after Ricciardo's DQ.

I have wondered if they have simply taken a wrong turn on development and then I look back at Button's career and ask the same questions that have come up time and again.
He likes the car to be just right, with neutral handling but doesn't get onto it if there are unresolved problems. So are we seeing Jenson trying to get the car to his liking and sending McLaren on a never ending spiral of navel gazing with no improvement.

In the first race of the year Magnussen had his measure. I felt they had a good driver who was really onto it and able to pick up at a level that would lift the team. The car was quick and competitive with everything except the Mercedes.

Since then it seems that Kevin has lost his mojo and at one point Button had said that his inexperience was costing the team development.
I don't take that very well I'm afraid. I think Button should be leading the team and IF Magnussen is not experienced enough to develop the car well then take him under your wing and help him.

But I think the truth is that they have taken a wrong direction and Button isn't able to help them. In fact they may have taken that direction because of his feedback..
Old 1 Aug 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3440834)   #112
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Button is ordinary atm and isn't going to improve. But Button has a bank of experience that should prove fruitful during the transitional phrase to Honda.

It might be too soon to hire a heavy hitter whilst the Honda-Mc relationship is trying to find its feet. I have no issue with Magnussen. There's talent there that just needs space to flow.
Old 1 Aug 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3440855)   #113
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not sure Button's any good in a development role. History indicates that's never been his forte and it's unlikely he'll be a better anchor through the Honda transition than anyone else.
Old 2 Aug 2014, 04:28 (Ref:3440896)   #114
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm not sure Button's any good in a development role. History indicates that's never been his forte and it's unlikely he'll be a better anchor through the Honda transition than anyone else.
If I was McLaren and Honda I would take a very long look at Rogro and Hulkenberg!
Old 6 Aug 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3441952)   #115
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a few sites suggesting Alonso is looking for EUR35mil per year.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/al...-deal-reports/

interesting to see driver wage demands reaching back to the levels of the early to mid 2000's. increased prize money and some control on costs plus an improving economy so its not surprising and in this case Alonso is arguably the class of the field...if anyone deserves that kind of money its him.

Ferrari can afford that but can Mclaren?
Old 6 Aug 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3441960)   #116
Articus
Veteran

I would suspect, if Ron Dennis wants Fernando Alonso, then Fernando will drive for Mclaren next season....

But I suppose if they can't give you world championships, then a big salary at Ferrari will a long way to easing the pain.
Old 6 Aug 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3442040)   #117
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
He's basically saying "this is what I want or I'm leaving" I suspect he knows they would rather not pay that but such is the kneejerk culture there at the moment they maybe very desperate to keep him at any cost.

Surely he would rather they invest that salary difference into improving the performance of his car though?
Old 7 Aug 2014, 08:32 (Ref:3442154)   #118
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Surely he would rather they invest that salary difference into improving the performance of his car though?
If his motor racing mattered most to him, you'd have to say yes. Regrettably however, I feel Alonso, like Kimi, is at Ferrari primarily for the money.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 09:58 (Ref:3442168)   #119
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Ferrari can afford that but can Mclaren?
McLaren cannot afford that.

But Honda might.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3442173)   #120
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
McLaren cannot afford that.

But Honda might.
Ron has already said Honda have an agreement to pay driver salaries....
but you probably know that...
Old 7 Aug 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3442185)   #121
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't know that. Sweet deal for Mclaren.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3442330)   #122
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
If his motor racing mattered most to him, you'd have to say yes. Regrettably however, I feel Alonso, like Kimi, is at Ferrari primarily for the money.
I don't think his mentality is anything like Kimi's. I think he's only stayed out of loyalty and pride ( and the lack of suitable alternative drive! )
Old 8 Aug 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3442425)   #123
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has been reported that Alonso has denied any rumours of a switch from Ferrari claiming thet the rumours are untrue.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28666.html
Old 8 Aug 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3442475)   #124
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It has been reported that Alonso has denied any rumours of a switch from Ferrari claiming thet the rumours are untrue.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28666.html

Since when has any driver confirmed a rumour? Deny deny deny....
Old 8 Aug 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3442533)   #125
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Since when has any driver confirmed a rumour? Deny deny deny....
I was thinking much the same myself.