Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3336358)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Why Ricciardo will win races in 2014..

after a failed attempt at a certain aussie driver, let's focus on another one!

how many races will Dan win next year? I predict two, why? he's quick and smashed Vergne this year in fastest laps/points/finishing positions etc (Vergney boy didn't stand a chance), he and his teammate will have anew setup and he's got a good qualifying record, and if he gets ahead of Vettel next year in the Qualy's, he's a chance maybe winning at Monaco or Montreal or any track that's ''your race'' if you take the first corner.

who's with me?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3336384)   #2
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Smashed ? I think that may be taking it a bit far ! I wish Daniel all the best with RBR but I don't think he will win any races .
Old 25 Nov 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3336395)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
I wish Daniel all the best with RBR but I don't think he will win any races .
But with the caveat that he could get a win if there's any unreliability on Sebs side of the garage with the new engine. ( unreliability on Sebs side of the garage - as if). He's also got to hope that the Red Bull is as dominant as it has been with the new regs. Lots of unknowns at the moment but realistically I can't see him beating Seb in a straight fight so he's going to need help from elsewhere.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 10:12 (Ref:3336419)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
I wish Daniel all the best with RBR but I don't think he will win any races .
It will be interesting to see how all 4 RBT-designed Renault powered cars go in season 2014.

Its likely optimistic to expect Mr Ricciardo to have race-winning form in his first year in the 'big' team.

We shall see
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3336437)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He will be in a car capable of winning races, but so was Webber this year...

It's hard to predict. I think he might get a win or two, but his number one problem will be the car with number one on it.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3336442)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I expect him to sneak one in with the possible lack of reliability and general jumbling up of the order that follows on from an overhaul of the technical regulations. If he had joined the team this year, no, but with the possibilities that come with next year and that Newey will certainly come out with something handy, then yes.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3336625)   #7
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think he might get a win or two, as long as Vettel isn't in 2nd place at the time. In that case RBR will order Daniel to drop back behind Vettel.

Daniel looked really happy after signing on at RBR, he won't be smiling after he's denied his 1st win in favor of Vettel getting a few extra points he doesn't need. Hate to say it, but Daniel signed on as Webber's replacement, Vettel's Whipping Boy.

I hope Daniel has the pace(and attachments) to put Vettel in his place next year.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 25 Nov 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3336630)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been the opposite of smashed. Both of them have been very erratic in their times in F1, but Ricciardo's poor results are caused by him as a pose to car issues/general bad luck. However, Ricciardo has been the better of the two this season, and deserves at least 1 chance.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3336648)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sounds like the headline of an Autosport article.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3336660)   #10
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
I think he might get a win or two, as long as Vettel isn't in 2nd place at the time. In that case RBR will order Daniel to drop back behind Vettel.
They would? RBR never did so with Webber, even though they easily could have done so in Malaysia this year (but they didn't).
Old 25 Nov 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3336676)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Ricciardo could win, in the same way that Webber could win ... whether he will win, I'd say he has as much of a chance as Webber had.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3336679)   #12
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whislt Seb is the golden haired boy, I cant see Dan winning more than a couple of races .

With fork tounge honner still there and sebs absolute lack of team ethics, it will be hard
Old 25 Nov 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3336695)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i hope he can win one on merit because its too valuable of a seat to give to someone not capable of winning at some point. so if they plan on keeping him for more than a year i can see them trying to gift him his first win (that is if he doesnt get it himself) next year to help bring along his development.

sounds crazy perhaps but if DC is to be believed, Mclaren did something similar for Mika Hakkinen at Jerez 1997. Mika got that monkey of his back and started the following year as the man to beat.

obviously i dont know if any of that is true but there is a certain logic to it.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3336799)   #14
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Webber had been at RBR since its inception and could keep Vettel on the horizon. Vettel himself has incumbent advantage, has worked arm-in-arm with Newey to develop a car, that frankly suits him. DR has little of that, it's his first season at the top - he's on course to getting roundly trounced, folks. If he ever does beat Vettel, we've got a new Senna on our hands.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3336804)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
He should just concentrate on beating his team mate because it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Red Bull will not win any races in 2014.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3336813)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Dan isn't at Mark's level yet, let alone Seb's. If Dan can score 50% of Seb's points haul in 2014 (which is what Mark managed) then he'll be doing ok.
Old 27 Nov 2013, 07:36 (Ref:3337256)   #17
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well reading interviews with Marko and looking at his speed and race craft I have no problem thinking that Disco Dan will win if the car is capable.

IF Vettel wins more than 4 GPs next year I will bet Dan will get one. He has pace, seems solid in quali and I think can on merit have his weekend in the sun at a ratio higher than enjoyed by Webber relative to Vettel to the past two seasons.

Over the entire season I dont think he has a hope in hell. But I think in 2-3 years time when he is a little more experienced in the team and how to pull together a championship it will be interesting to see how much more he can develop.

Marko has givn him the nod and he seems a pretty up and down guy. I dont believe Dan would have been pushed into HRT, STR and now RBR if he hadnt delivered on all the potential he sees in Dan.

If you didnt catch the long interview with Marko about the young driver program and comments on Dan then it sheds some light on why he is there
Old 27 Nov 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3337259)   #18
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Multi21
Old 28 Nov 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3337702)   #19
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Ricciardo will win races in 2014..

...because Vettel DNF'd.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3337785)   #20
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I can see, Red Bull didn't sign Vergne because their cars don't break and ruin their drivers image, so instead they went for...

...another pushover Aussie!
Old 28 Nov 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3337793)   #21
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah, he won't win any races next year unless it is under very weird circumstances. Next year I expect Mercedes to be right with RBR and so Vettel will have all the support if they want another Driver's Championship.
Old 28 Nov 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3337883)   #22
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
The reason they didn't sign Vergne was because he was like the English Cricket team's batting performance, slow.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 04:28 (Ref:3338448)   #23
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to read that people dont think he stands a chance. Webber has openly said that he wishes he came accross Vettel earlier in his career. Frankly I think whilst Webber may have lost some pace he was a far better racer at the end vs the start when he was a little careless in traffic.

But I think Dan has showed maturity and craft in traffic that he wont have similar years of growing pains. I look forward to coming back in 12 months time and discussing how Dan has pushed Vettel in 2014 with a few GP wins

He sat out 75% of a two day test with RB Young Driver test because in the first morning he had categorically showed more pace than all others..inc Jev. It took kms and hours to see the best of the others whilst Dan showed it in just a few laps.

He can rag on cars and find pace...who knows if he can setup a car to be as fast over a race distance but in the Hamilton mold he can drive a poor car fast, but make a good car faster????? Well thats hard work away from the track and i

So that pace is beyond doubt....lets hope he can be as complete as Seb.

But for me...I dont even really care. I liek the guy. Him and Romain are all smiles and positive energy vs everyone else who always look miserable about the fact that they are being paid millions to drive a car
Old 30 Nov 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3338491)   #24
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
The reason they didn't sign Vergne was because he was like the English Cricket team's batting performance, slow.
Yep, he was 100% slow. He still has STR's top finish since Vettel - 6th at Canada. Whilst the troughs were lower than Ricciardo's, they weren't his fault, whilst Ricciardo's were, and the peaks were higher. I'd like to see what Vergne could do in a decent car that didn't constantly break...

...and I'm fairly certain that ever since the start of 2012 both the press and Helmut Marko have been more keen on Ricciardo than Vergne. He was the favourite for the RBR seat coming into Silverstone, despite Vergne just finishin 6th at Canada and having a great race at Monaco.

Whilst it's all nice to have an Aussie in a top seat to replace an Aussie in a top seat, I prefer to look at the bigger picture in these sorts of circumstances. In this case, it's what Vergne actually did wrong. The answer was drive a car that broke a lot. Hardly his fault.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3338494)   #25
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I don't doubt Ricciardo will do well, but he WON'T match Vettel straight away - that is delusional - and I am simply defending JEV. He's receiving a lot of stick for being slow when it simply wasn't his fault.