Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Dec 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3346866)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie

Bernie has come out saying he wants more double points races.

Get him out of his job for the good of motorsports...
Old 22 Dec 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3346876)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Please, yes. It never ceases to amaze me how many people kiss his arse. In Formula 1, they have political reasons for doing it, I suppose, but I'm tired of this argument that he's "done so much for Formula 1". Yes, he did. He brought in the commercial era on television and look where that's got us now.

Pay-per-view and a guy who knows nothing about the promotional possibilities of the internet.

But it's always "oooh, Bernie, bless him. He's a card".
Old 22 Dec 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3346887)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is just saying this to distract people from looking somewhere else, he is a master magician.

He creates a flash somewhere to distract people while he pulls off the sleight of hand trick. Classic example was the revolving door at the High Court, he made himself out to look like the old duffer, who is confused by the door when really he was distracting reporters from what happened in court that day.

The question is, what is he trying to distract us from looking at?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3346888)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's almost christmas and he's feeling generous... respect the elder He's just talking, he already said it will be all scrapped.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3346898)   #5
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wish sometimes that the FOM, FIA and teams union all sat down and had a long discussion about some of these new rules...
Old 22 Dec 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3346906)   #6
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His days are counted. After the trial, he will be replaced and not missed. A few tracks might suddenly disappear but F1 needs repositioning big time. Ferrari is starting by getting the teams together in Jan. for me, it is going to happen before the beginning of the season.

Old 22 Dec 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3346918)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I just wish sometimes that the FOM, FIA and teams union all sat down and had a long discussion about some of these new rules...
They did that. The rules were discussed and ratified by a committee comprised of exactly that grouping.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3346980)   #8
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Actually, it might be better if there were less discussion about rules and the FIA just formulated a set of rules of their choosing and the teams either built cars to them or shipped out.

The whole reason F1 always finds itself in this position every few years is that rules are made by consensus, compromise and 'deals' with some rules dropped or altered if teams accept other rules - remember Max Mosley's proposal to 'ban' pits to car radio, for example.

How many other sports have the entrants so involved in shaping the rules or being able to influence them to suit their them?
Old 22 Dec 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3346989)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The track owners and promoters that didn't get the 'double points' treatment should stage an uprising. Arguably their races have been devalued by half.

As for Eccelstone he says and sometimes does things in order to provoke and spite people. For me, he did nothing but damage the sport after the early nineties.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3347041)   #10
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
His days are counted. After the trial, he will be replaced and not missed. A few tracks might suddenly disappear but F1 needs repositioning big time. Ferrari is starting by getting the teams together in Jan. for me, it is going to happen before the beginning of the season.

But hasn't it been indicated by the judge that, whilst the bribery is proved, the undervaluing of F1 is looking shakey at best. I agree about Ferrari and sense big changes are coming. But I doubt Eccelstone not being there...
Old 22 Dec 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3347065)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since Bernie got the rights to F1 from Max he has changed from making F1 the best and exclusive to just a money making machine for him and FOM's owners.
As promoter of F1 I don't see how he is doing that as it seems to be left to the teams and the circuits acting independently.

It will be interesting to see how things change in top level motorsports in the next few years as I suspect Jean Todt has been playing a very canny game for the better of motorsports. Sportscar racing appears to be on the way up and has now more manufacturers involved than in F1. It will be interesting to see how FE develops as this seems to be developing nicely.

I suspect that there could be major problems for F1 in the next few years as costs go up and money is sucked out of it. There is a real risk of a number of teams pulling out or going under with new structure that Bernie has put in place.

If thet were to happen then there are two possible replacements there in the form of sportscars or FE. Both of these are much more accessable in modern media and appear to be more sustainable long term. They both however have some way to go before they will have the appeal of F1.

The other thing that has happened in the last few days is DiMontezemolo's call for a meeting of all the team principles to get together in January. If they were to start singing off the same hymn sheet then Bernie has a problem as the teams together are potentially more powerfull than Bernie. A lot of that will depend on all the teams working together for the good of the sport.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3347096)   #12
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie's Christmas card for 2013.

Old 23 Dec 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3347110)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My opinion of Jean Todt has changed a bit. He was political at Ferrari now and seems fairly apolitical now. Or just a clever politician (unlike most).
Old 23 Dec 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3347146)   #14
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Bernie in his Sunday best.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3347181)   #15
321Go
Veteran

Hmm... so di Montezemolo is the 'priest' to make it all happen. But, who's hands are those playing conductor of the entire F1 circus??

Is Bernie really the man in charge? Or is someone else running the entire show with Bernie the front man?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3347240)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like how the grandstands are empty!
Old 24 Dec 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3347705)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Hmm... so di Montezemolo is the 'priest' to make it all happen. But, who's hands are those playing conductor of the entire F1 circus??

Is Bernie really the man in charge? Or is someone else running the entire show with Bernie the front man?
He's running it all right but like most despots he'll have his advisors, though whether he chooses to listen to them or not is another matter. Take this whole double points business in the last three races, it's purely designed to keep those venues happy and give them a better chance of having the WDC decided at their race, so that they continue to be part of the F1 circus and continue to pay their $25m annual fee. That's pure Bernie.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3347731)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Well, CVC are like the shady men in suits from some film and Bernie the face, but I'm not sure how much control he has.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3347733)   #19
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Take this whole double points business in the last three races, it's purely designed to keep those venues happy and give them a better chance of having the WDC decided at their race, so that they continue to be part of the F1 circus and continue to pay their $25m annual fee. That's pure Bernie.
Incorrect. Bernie said it was so the cars will have to continue to be developed until the very end, and keep the championship alive. Nothing to do with keeping the US and Bahrain promoters happy. That's what he said, and Bernie doesn't lie.

Old 25 Dec 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3347759)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh, I see...........
Old 25 Dec 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3347788)   #21
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Incorrect. Bernie said it was so the cars will have to continue to be developed until the very end, and keep the championship alive. Nothing to do with keeping the US and Bahrain promoters happy. That's what he said, and Bernie doesn't lie.
Keeping the championship alive to the end of season is implicitly meant to please the race promoters, not to mention the TV networks who take a bath every time a season like 2011 or 2013 happens. This is of course artificial knee jerk reaction, but what did you expect from the greedy people who run the F1? Bernie has a history of backing whacked knee-jerk rule change proposals every time the interest of fans starts falling after a "bad" season.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3347829)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Since when has Bernie ever cared about car development; not since the days he owned Brabham, me thinks?

Indeed, Bernie doesn't lie, .