Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Jan 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3356570)   #126
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
I never understood why they didn't race on the GP circuit at Brands but I guess it doesn't matter now. If they return to race in the UK it will be at a different circuit.
They used the Indy circuit because that's what ITR asked for - the theory being that the cars are in view for longer on the Indy circuit. They would have been even more impressive out on the GP loop though - how good would that be? Blasting out of Surtees down at speed round Westfield and Hawthorn - it'd be awesome. If they do come back to the UK in the future hopefully it'll be Brands again - I saw the DTM at Donington and it was ok, Silverstone would be a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Di Resta's back with Mercedes in DTM: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112205

I think it's quite something to see a DTM driver go to F1 and then return to DTM right afterwards.
It's not a big surprise to see Di Resta back in the DTM, realistically it was his best option after he'd lost the chance of staying in F1. He's already proved he can deliver in the DTM and his return strengthens Mercedes driver line up - last year they probably had the weakest driver line up of the 3 manufacturers.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3356574)   #127
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
They used the Indy circuit because that's what ITR asked for - the theory being that the cars are in view for longer on the Indy circuit. They would have been even more impressive out on the GP loop though - how good would that be? Blasting out of Surtees down at speed round Westfield and Hawthorn - it'd be awesome. If they do come back to the UK in the future hopefully it'll be Brands again - I saw the DTM at Donington and it was ok, Silverstone would be a disaster.
The ITC race at Silverstone (full GP circuit) was actually pretty good. Although Silverstone has plenty of top-class events (F1 and WEC), so they don't need DTM. But when the DTM left Brands, they basically claimed that the British market wasn't giving them enough in terms of media coverage and so on. It's just an excuse in my opinion, as Brands Hatch was probably too small for the manufacturers. Maybe other tracks like Donington or Snetterton would suit them better.

With di Resta back in DTM, there may be a new incentive to return to Britain. Now that they have a driver within their ranks, who is relatively well-known in Britain, they may draw more media attention and people to the track.

Quote:
It's not a big surprise to see Di Resta back in the DTM, realistically it was his best option after he'd lost the chance of staying in F1. He's already proved he can deliver in the DTM and his return strengthens Mercedes driver line up - last year they probably had the weakest driver line up of the 3 manufacturers.
Given that Mercedes will probably stick to six cars, this may indeed strengthen their squad. Although I'd like to see eight cars, even though it'll probably not be filled with the two "Maxis" from GTs
Old 21 Jan 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3356594)   #128
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The ITC race at Silverstone (full GP circuit) was actually pretty good. Although Silverstone has plenty of top-class events (F1 and WEC), so they don't need DTM. But when the DTM left Brands, they basically claimed that the British market wasn't giving them enough in terms of media coverage and so on. It's just an excuse in my opinion, as Brands Hatch was probably too small for the manufacturers. Maybe other tracks like Donington or Snetterton would suit them better.
Silverstone is a very poor track for spectating though - thanks to the F1 spec fencing and run off you end up being so far away from the action you might as well stay at home and watch on tv.

Quote:
Given that Mercedes will probably stick to six cars, this may indeed strengthen their squad. Although I'd like to see eight cars, even though it'll probably not be filled with the two "Maxis" from GTs
Have they confirmed it'll be 6 cars? They need 8 really to be able to fight with Audi and BMW.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3356596)   #129
AxelF
Racer

AxelF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, Gary Paffett is one of the best drivers, but i didn't like him to complain always on behaviour of others like that...sometimes hes like a small child, who doesn't get his toy again.

Paul di Resta is also very good, and he will be well worth for the Mercedes squad. But he is of course no real personality. He never was in Formula One - good driver, but no one, to wait for his interviews etc.

Its not only german language, but you need to build up simpathy for the driver, because he is nice/funny/scandalous guy.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3356605)   #130
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Silverstone is a very poor track for spectating though - thanks to the F1 spec fencing and run off you end up being so far away from the action you might as well stay at home and watch on tv.
Well, Silverstone hasn't gotten better after rebuilding the track in 2009 (?).

Quote:
Have they confirmed it'll be 6 cars? They need 8 really to be able to fight with Audi and BMW.
No official confirmation, but Motorsport-Total has hinted more than once that Mercedes will stay with six cars. I guess Formula One eats up a lot of the budget for auto racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelF View Post
Its not only german language, but you need to build up simpathy for the driver, because he is nice/funny/scandalous guy.
Exactly. I mean why do people think of Muhammed Ali or Mike Tyson, when they think about boxers? Because they were controversial and that's what draws people, controversy!
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3356668)   #131
winkle
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wallington
winkle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Paffett not speaking German makes him controversial then!

He is an ex champion and usually at the sharp end of the grid and if he is not he will often fight his way through.

Di Resta is a good driver and hopefully as DS" says will draw crowds and encourage DTM back to the UK. I really hope its not Silverstone, GP loop at Brands would be excellent for spectators and allow the cars to stretch their legs.

In the mean time I will have to take a trip to Germany or maybe Hungry to watch them instead!
Old 21 Jan 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3356680)   #132
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Really? So can we expect some Mark Webber interviews in German in the future?
TBH I don't know if this will also apply to 'name drivers' like Webber, but they definitely demand it of their junior team graduates. I remember reading that Pat Long is fluent in five or so languages, which is really quite impressive.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3356863)   #133
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I've heard that ITC doesn't want big F1 tracks like Silverstone because they dislike the huge empty grandstands. Even with the national layout it wouldn't look nice on TV.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3356867)   #134
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
GP loop at Brands would be excellent for spectators and allow the cars to stretch their legs.
it would be fun to watch but i think the racing wouldnt be that great
Old 22 Jan 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3357098)   #135
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
it would be fun to watch but i think the racing wouldnt be that great
But I rather see them race around GP track and not passing each other rather then them racing short layout and not passing each other.

And also, I think GP track would produce better racing, especially with the DRS as all of a sudden there's not only 1, but 3 places where you can activate DRS and make a stab at whoever's in front of you.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3357176)   #136
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands short layout makes races very complicated to follow on track. With the pitstops and lapping is nearly impossible to know what is happening.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3357524)   #137
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Pitstops are a mess in DTM. There should be 5-lap pitting windows on minutes 15 and 35 out of 60 or so.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3357561)   #138
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main issue with pitstops is that they then blue-flag drivers who have not pitted, to let other drivers past. So if you stay out to build a position, you cannot defend at all against faster cars with new tyres...

Anyway. Petrov in DTM this year? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112237
Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3358451)   #139
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Former finnish F1 commentator Matti Kyllönen said YLE TV2 Motorsport program that remains to be seen, seen as Heikki Kovalainen DTM tests in the coming weeks.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3358468)   #140
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Vitaly Petrov has also tested a Mercedes DTM car. So maybe Merc will run eight cars after all?

Confirmed:
Gary Paffett
Paul di Resta
Daniel Juncadella

Likely:
Robert Wickens
Christian Vietoris
Pascal Wehrlein

Possible:
Vitaly Petrov
Maximilian Götz

Remains to be seen:
Heikki Kovalainen
Roberto Mehri
James Calado
Sam Bird

Petrov has also claimed that he can bring enough sponsorship for a whole DTM season with him.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3358478)   #141
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Petrov would also make sense from a marketing point of view with the round in Russia.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3358640)   #142
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Petrov would also make sense from a marketing point of view with the round in Russia.
Cool. If Petrov gets confirmed to race in DTM, he's gonna show his skills off at Russia!
Old 25 Jan 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3358823)   #143
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
believe calado is pretty certain in one of the mercedes too.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3359274)   #144
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
believe calado is pretty certain in one of the mercedes too.
Excuse me, but that is really not good enough. It is a mere palliative and totally unnecessary if not backed up byenforceable measures.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3359284)   #145
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Russian DTM journalist Sergey Bednaruk said, that info about Kovalainen is probably reliable
Old 26 Jan 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3359358)   #146
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Excuse me, but that is really not good enough. It is a mere palliative and totally unnecessary if not backed up byenforceable measures.
???
Old 26 Jan 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3359751)   #147
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the Merc is back again. Still, the BH indy layout race and blue flag rules are disasters I believe.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3360008)   #148
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Interesting news coming from Daytona. According to Speedweek, the DTM and SuperGT want to hold a race together in 2015. It'll likely take place in Asia: http://www.speedweek.com/dtm/news/50...mes-Event.html
Old 27 Jan 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3360777)   #149
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
You know, for how far Google Translate has taken us from Babelfish the journey is not yet complete...
Old 28 Jan 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3361203)   #150
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As for Vitaly Petrov. He was supposed to be a special guest at one of the winter track races on January,26 but could not arrive. And in his TV-interview he said that he "had some issues over his contract that they {I suppose he and team} had to solve".