Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 28 May 2001, 14:11 (Ref:97818)   #1
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Paddock Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manning and Wilson at Monaco

Well, Justin Wilson finished second in the Monaco F3000 race behind Webber. Monaco is a very hard circuit to pass on, as we all know, and I think that there was only one move in the entire race. So could Wilson have passed Webber? Perhaps - but given the assault that he suffered from Manning at Ste Devote I would imagine he was unable to do too much. It seems that when Manning rammed Wilson from behind he lodged his front wing into the rear diffuser of the Coca-Cola Nordic Racing Lola so hard that it took half a lap before it fell off! After this, my sources tell me, Wilson found that his car was not handling as well as it should (rear suspension damage?. Shame. It would have been interesting to see what sort of fight Webber would have had for the race lead had Wilson been able to race with problems. Monaco may have been his 3rd race win of the year?
Old 28 May 2001, 15:34 (Ref:97860)   #2
formula-3000net
Racer

formula-3000net should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Manning and Wilson at Monaco

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddock Spy
Well, Justin Wilson finished second in the Monaco F3000 race behind Webber. Monaco is a very hard circuit to pass on, as we all know, and I think that there was only one move in the entire race.

Well there was quite a lot of overtaking actually...more than you'd expect at Monaco.

Quote:
So could Wilson have passed Webber? Perhaps - but given the assault that he suffered from Manning at Ste Devote I would imagine he was unable to do too much. It seems that when Manning rammed Wilson from behind he lodged his front wing into the rear diffuser of the Coca-Cola Nordic Racing Lola so hard that it took half a lap before it fell off! After this, my sources tell me, Wilson found that his car was not handling as well as it should (rear suspension damage?. Shame. It would have been interesting to see what sort of fight Webber would have had for the race lead had Wilson been able to race with problems. Monaco may have been his 3rd race win of the year?
I don't think he could have passed Webber...even if he hadn't had handling problems after the first-lap incident, he would probably have decided that it was safer to get six points for second than to get none for crashing into Webber.
Old 28 May 2001, 16:46 (Ref:97886)   #3
Paddock Spy
Rookie

Paddock Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Manning and Wilson at Monaco

Quote:
Originally posted by formula-3000net

Well there was quite a lot of overtaking actually...more than you'd expect at Monaco.

Yes - you are right of course. There was in fact about seven moves, most completed when cars in front fell off the track! However, there was only around 2-3 moves that would count.....NO more than you'd expect at Monaco!

I don't think he could have passed Webber...even if he hadn't had handling problems after the first-lap incident, he would probably have decided that it was safer to get six points for second than to get none for crashing into Webber.
How do you know that he would not have tried? Were not the two re-starts ideal Wilson chances to make a challenge? Perhaps I am wrong and you know Justin better than we all do to make such a comment.
Old 29 May 2001, 04:38 (Ref:98162)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The restarts could have been good places to pass, however, the shape of the approach to St Devote makes passing almost impossible. Personally, I felt Webber had the race under control. If Wilson pushed him more, I felt as though Webber would have been able to go a little bit quicker. It just seemed to be Webber's day.