Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2001, 14:52 (Ref:98882)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld and Sauber should dtop complaining!!

see the way Heidfeld is trying to ram Jos into the barriers here??, why where they complaining about Jos's drivingstyle?, Nick tried to ram Jos. Did Nick simply "forget" about this now??, he should'nt complain, if he would have driven more carefully he would have made it further than Portier......
Old 30 May 2001, 16:52 (Ref:98923)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really see how you can gather all that info from the posted photograph. From what I see, it looks like Heidfeld could be the meat in an Arrows sandwich, but one single snippet of a moment in time is not enough to draw any kind of conclusion on what happened. Show the video (of the entire battle if possible) and then maybe some accurate conclusions can be reached.

Following quote from Speedvision.com

Jos Verstappen (eighth): "I'm really annoyed that we stalled in the pit stop. I was having a great time, as I passed about five cars fair and square during the early part of the race, which is very difficult here, and the car was feeling very good. It's a real shame, as we should have been on for some points today."

What I find funny (strange & humourous) about the preceding quote, is Verstappens need to justify his overtaking maneuvers with "fair and square". It would almost seem to imply that maybe they weren't. Now don't go thinking that I'm anti-Verstappen or anything, these are just observations

Last edited by enemy-ace; 30 May 2001 at 16:53.
Old 30 May 2001, 16:56 (Ref:98925)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Well, Jos said this to a dutch newspaper:

"Heidfeld tried to ram me into the barriers, you should'nt try that with me"
Old 30 May 2001, 18:36 (Ref:98958)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Q: What's the steering lock like on the Sauber??

A: WE HAVE NO IDEA!

Q: Why is Jos on the outside?? Who'd tried to pass who??

A: WE HAVE NO IDEA!

Q: Did Jos **** into the back of the Sauber a matter of seconds later??

A: YES!!
Old 30 May 2001, 19:15 (Ref:98972)   #5
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jos said on the well known F1-site 'itwasntme.com' that it was impossible to avoid Heidfeld and that he braked 30 metres earlier and was some 60 kmh slower at that point than all his other laps. Don't pin me down on it, just heard it from a friend of mine.
Old 30 May 2001, 23:40 (Ref:99099)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Jos did'nt drive into the back of Heidfeld, Heidfeld drove over Jos's front wheel with his rear wheel.......
Old 30 May 2001, 23:47 (Ref:99104)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... which is quite inevitable when that left front wheel is aiming for your sidepod and the wall is a few inches to your left ...
Old 30 May 2001, 23:57 (Ref:99109)   #8
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Like I said, If Nick had given a litle more space on the loews corner(you can clearly see him steering straight past the racing line on the picture), than he would have made it further than Portier: the only thing would have been that he maybe would have been 1 place behind Jos, so I can only say: It's Nick's own fault!!

Heidfelds sudden case of amnesia is also very funny:

"I was hit by one of the Arrows, I don't know wich"(just after the race, I think he knew exactly wich Arrows it was, because he hit that Arrows too)
Old 31 May 2001, 00:08 (Ref:99112)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Great Pic, Steve. Now can somebody refresh my memory, with a pic also, of the TGF/Wurz incident, because this is where it started also.
Old 31 May 2001, 02:53 (Ref:99155)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it was a case of whose fault it was. From the posted picture, it simply looks as if Heidfeld has tried to pass Jos, and has simply understeered to the outside of the track (maybe carrying too much speed). Let's not castigate Heidfeld for attempting a pass, as we don't see much actual racing happening these days (especially at Monaco). It was a racing incident. However, if Heidfeld is blaming Jos, then he has massive problems.

PS. I would have loved to have seen Verstappen's charge through the field (we saw it on the racescore), however, the TV directors decided we had to see the tiresome battle for 15th (Bernoldi and DC).
Old 31 May 2001, 04:59 (Ref:99170)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Well, it was Jos trying to pass on the outside actualy, but what I'm saying is that Nick and Peter Sauber where angry at the Arrows team for taking him out of the race, as you can see on this picture, Heidfeld first tried to do the same with Jos.....
Old 31 May 2001, 07:03 (Ref:99195)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm.

VB said it really. There is no way to get two cars round there unless they are going to pirouette in unison. With TC they couldn't induce oversteer to tighten the turning circle and even if it was switched off they'd need to co-operate.

Other victims of this scenario include D Hill (Gerhard Berger), Alain Prost (can't remember by whom).

Maybe we could set up a thread entitled "Who nerfed who at Leows?"
Old 31 May 2001, 07:03 (Ref:99196)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From that picture, I see Heidfeld doing nothing wrong. He is allowed to overtake/defend his position, and I'd imagine that is what he is doing.
Old 31 May 2001, 10:17 (Ref:99227)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Steve "Lover of all things Jos" Nielsen, your one-eyed unshakable (despite the evidence) support for Jos is overwhelming, if not commendable. You are the biggist fan of any driver in this forum (sorry MF).

Jos could driver straight into someone and you would find a way of making it someone else's fault. Oh, hang on, you did that already with Brazil did'nt you.

If I were as big a TGF fan as you are Jos, I could confidently blame Hill and Jacques for smashing into him in their perspective last races for each season.
Old 31 May 2001, 11:26 (Ref:99243)   #15
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the picture shows everything. If it's Verstappen trying to get passed Heidfeld then it looks very much like Heidfeld squeezing Verstappen out (if he had that bad understeer then I doubt yery much he could have set a time within the 107 per cent rule). That to my mind is unsporting and not racing. I think Nick would do well to remember the whole incident and learn what he can from it. - ie if you're going to dish it out, then you should expect it back.
Old 31 May 2001, 11:50 (Ref:99259)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
If you see a picture of someone with they're eyes closed, are they blinking or are they sleeping? Hypothetically, how do you know that Bernoldi didn't just give Heidfeld a nudge prior to the photo? A picture tells a thousand stories and asks a thousand questions! The photo is inconclusive, and shouldn't be used as evidence!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 May 2001, 11:54 (Ref:99261)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How did they all miss that big red arrow?
Old 31 May 2001, 11:57 (Ref:99263)   #18
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Heidfeld to have been nudged that far off line would have taken quite an impact, Bernoldi would have suffered damage to the front of his car. Why didn't Heidfeld mention it?
Old 31 May 2001, 11:59 (Ref:99265)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes but that big re..... oh what's the use?
Old 31 May 2001, 12:16 (Ref:99271)   #20
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It made me chuckle mr M, if that makes you feel better. In fact it's nearly as funny as Steve blaming Heidfeld for getting shoved into the barriers by Vercrashen.....
Old 31 May 2001, 14:58 (Ref:99324)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, what's a man supposed to do when they let other cars on his race track? Serves Jos right for being on that track at all, I say.

Nick, get over it. And as for Jos' "You don't try that on me" comment, someone should remind him that the game here is called racing not Bumper Cars .
Old 31 May 2001, 15:19 (Ref:99341)   #22
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
You are the biggist fan of any driver in this forum (sorry MF).
Hmmmm Steve and Mr. Verstappen or Minardi fan and Mr. Raikkonen... tough call...
Old 31 May 2001, 16:54 (Ref:99363)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by angst
For Heidfeld to have been nudged that far off line would have taken quite an impact, Bernoldi would have suffered damage to the front of his car. Why didn't Heidfeld mention it?
I'm afraid you might have missed the entire point of my post. I never claimed that Bernoldi tagged Heidfeld, thats why I said "Hypothetically"! My point was that any number of people can come to different conclusions as to what is occuring in any single photo. Therefore it is pointless to base your argument on such inconclusive evidence.
ie. looking at Bernoldi's positioning in the corner, I might come to the conclusion that he prefers to turn in very late on the exit of corners as opposed to the entry. This however might explain his less than stellar lap times
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 31 May 2001, 18:15 (Ref:99403)   #24
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Two things I'd like to bring forward on a more serious note than Steve's Jos=God-PoV.

Firstly remember this is Loews the tightest corner of them all in F1. In fact that tight that the teams have to adjust the front suspensions to increase the steering angle sufficiently to get round this corner, even when a driver is going through on his own. So whenever they steered in, it's full steering lock from then onwards till the exit. So when Jos is charging on the outside there and would like to go side by side there isn't much room on the exit, not intentionally but by the nature of this corner and the cars involved.

Secondly Jos put Nick into the wall in the next right-hand corner (Poitiers). Considering both using traction control and Jos still backwards of Nick here, Jos must have torpedoed his front left wheel at Nick's sidepod in a very insane action. No wonder Nick never knew what hit him. That's not even a do-or-die action, that's a die-for-at-least-one-and-the-other-just-maybe-lucky-to-escape action.

Peter Sauber isn't really known for his southern temperament, so when he's acting really upset, he surely has reason to be. And I believe he certainly has in this case.
Old 31 May 2001, 18:23 (Ref:99408)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although, like everyone else on the grid, he blamed Bernoldi