Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:10 (Ref:834768)   #1
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Power for Alan Docking Racing.

And, no, I don't mean they are getting a motivational speaker, although it mightn't be a bad idea to get a pick me up after last season.

Instead, the Toowoomba Tornado is having a solid crack at the title. Between Will's awesome speed and control and ADR's crew, I think I can smell another F3 trophy coming down under.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:16 (Ref:834776)   #2
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toowoomba is a great place name! I remember some of the wonderful Australian place names from my school geography lessons.

Would that we could get a driver from Iron Knob or Koolyanobbing.

Perhaps we could call him Willie Power?
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 00:59 (Ref:834857)   #3
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very funny jinxy
Old 12 Jan 2004, 01:41 (Ref:834881)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news for Will Power, the talent is certainly there.... the ride in the PHR Porsche at Bathurst really showed that off.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Jan 2004, 04:39 (Ref:834948)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he was alright in british f3 too. if he can get it all sorted he'll do nicely. he won't win it (against nelsinho? i honestly hope you're joking...), but he'll do nicely.

can't help think of the will davison hype last year.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 04:45 (Ref:834951)   #6
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Will D isn't (and wasn't) a patch on Will P. Never was, never will be.

Don't forget, this will be Will P's third season of F3 so it's not as if he's a rookie. And he's spent the down under summer putting in miles so he should be pretty sharp.

Last year was Will D's first punt in an F3 and it showed at times.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 04:54 (Ref:834955)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It has me wondering though, 2 drivers from a particular preparation facility supplying cars to the championship winners, only for those 2 drivers to have substantially underperformed to expectations in their next step.

Will Davison (2001) and Jamie Whincup (2002) both drove for an FF team that had a healthy budget and significant testing, a lot more testing than their contemporaries...

Maybe life is a little harder when there isnt that luxury before the races.

Will Power is a talent, he needs miles of course, but the natural skill seems more prevalent than some of the other Aussies around the international stage at the moment.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 05:08 (Ref:834963)   #8
overflow
Racer

overflow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR...who are you refering to...would it be J.Courtney or R.Briscoe..??
Old 12 Jan 2004, 05:15 (Ref:834968)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I was referring to Davison and Whincup, both of whom were highly rated, and hyped (some would say overhyped), while Davison made a number (too many?) of rookie mistakes, Whincup bent the Supercar into a paperclip at almost every round.. and saw him dropped midway thru his contract.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 05:30 (Ref:834972)   #10
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Yeah, funny how things get a bit harder in the real world......
Old 12 Jan 2004, 07:01 (Ref:835017)   #11
jackaroo
Rookie

jackaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Davison Has a good reputation in UK. Especially after his good performances in FR in 2002.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 15:54 (Ref:835512)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there wasn't one race in 2003 that made me think 'wow' about will power. at thruxton he was just extremely lucky, everyone was throwing themselves off, and all he had to do was drive around in circles at a reasonable pace.

show me some form of proof that he's any better than our most mediocre of british drivers and i'll cut him some slack. i like being proven wrong about people.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:10 (Ref:836011)   #13
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
You're on!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 00:07 (Ref:836048)   #14
speedstar1000
Rookie

speedstar1000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's with all the Sonic bashing, GTRMagic?
Have noticed a few posts from you recently that basically are saying that they've got the best budget and that's why they win. You're kidding, they've got the hardest working and switched on team boss in FFord in Mick Ritter, Greg's brother. They do things properly! Taking nothing away from McFadyen last year or Mike Borland at Spectrum, but Sonic had gun drivers in Davison, Whincup, Marshall, the late Stewie McColl etc and the overall package showed. I don't know how much testing they do before races but I doubt it's anywhere near what you hype it to be. Maybe we should get their PR manager to respond?
And what about Davison and WHincup? First year out of Sonic and Will finished 4th in the Brit FRenault series, 1st year in England on all of the tracks - not a bad first year out of Sonic I reckon in a cut throat category. Sure, he had a downer with ADR there in 2003 but won a race and there's reasons there why things went **** that don't need going into here - have a look at the Brands result for Menu - shows what the guy can do.
And Whincup didn't exactly get the best opp in 2003 - VX Commodore that had more hits on it than Elvis before he got near it and the absolute number two position to Tander. Once he got a VY for the Creek he went quite well - and afdter all, who knows what Rogers is thinking sometimes with some of his ideas and philosophies.
Good luck to Power too - the more Aussies over there the better, but I hope ADR can turn things around for him and they have a good run this year. Anyone know what Davison and Whincup are doing this year anyway?
And how do you know Whincup has been dropped GTRMagic? A contract's not worth the paper it's written on thesedays and you don't have an intimate knowledge of the various options etc on those deals - so why act as if you're the lord of knowledge? He could still be under contract and do the enduro races would be one option.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 00:23 (Ref:836056)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Not quite what I said at all.

The team you mention have a budget which comes from their drivers, which comfortably accomodates testing multiple times before rounds, so when the driver rocks up at the circuit, the car is alreat 98% of where it needs to be.

In terms of the amount of testing this operation does, there are enough people in the FF paddock who could confirm it for you if you require it.

The whole point of it is that in moving to other classes, the benefit of learning a new circuit and how the car adapts to the circuit quickly is gone. They have days and days to learn, to develop, to work on the car. The team works hard, so do all the teams in the paddock, but the problem in moving to other classes is that the unlimited testing luxury is not in place, so the decisiveness the driver requires in determining a setup is not in the experience bank.

Mr Whincup is not driving the #33 Commodore in 2004 in the main series of V8 Supercar, therefore he has been dropped from that series. Quite simple really. That he ends up in an HYL program funded by GRM and Holden may be a moot point.

Drivers in shyt cars do not have to knock the front corner off their shyt cars on a regular basis. Yes Whincup stepped up when in the 2nd VY, but was still a fair way behind the #1 driver in speed, despite knowing the circuit from earlier in the season, and having driven a VY at Bathurst.

As ever, there are reasons for everything... maybe its karma?
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:56 (Ref:836262)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucky
Will D isn't (and wasn't) a patch on Will P. Never was, never will be.

dont start shyte between them , its great there is 2 aussies racing in the "so called" premier f3 class

ps : for the record - its will davison's name on the australian formula ford championship trophy

best of luck to both of them in british f3 in 04
Old 13 Jan 2004, 10:00 (Ref:836386)   #17
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I was very impressed with Will Power last year. I watched him on the TV racing in Aussie F3 in 02 and he looked like and exciting driver to watch and he certainly proved that last year!I thought his efforts with Fortec towards the end of the year where very good and certainly I believe he should be a frontrunner in 04. Perhaps he isn't quite at the same level as Piquet and Carroll so I don't expect a championship challenge but I think race wins are on the cards! Man, Ive just complimented an Aussie!

As for Davison, another one of these drivers with 'reasons' for not performing last year!The only 'reason' I can think of is he's overhyped and not good enough!This was his second year in England, he knew the circuits, perhaps not the formula as Power did so if you weigh it up they where at the same disadvantage really , Power knew the formula not the circuits Davo the other way around. Looking at it that way Power showed much more promise!

Davo was is the CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING CAR of 2002, he was hyped up pre-season as being a title favourite but in reality he was struggling to break into the top 20 most weekends. Yes he had a good run at Croft and at Brands late season but if you wanna make it in motorsport you've gotta be on it every weekend! Certainly Davo has alot to prove in 2004! He's shooting himself in the foot if he doesn't perform, his PR suggests he's the next Schumacher whilst in reality he's another Alex Yoong!

Last edited by Gaz; 13 Jan 2004 at 10:01.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 11:46 (Ref:836476)   #18
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
...... Man, Ive just complimented an Aussie!
...I noticed that too Gaz....!!!!...I hit my head when I fell off my chair!!

Happy New Year mate..!!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 11:52 (Ref:836488)   #19
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something's wrong!There musta been something in those drinks last night!

Happy New Year to you to Aussie!

Last edited by Gaz; 13 Jan 2004 at 11:54.