Fiat Multipla

What do you think?
Old 30 Nov 2001, 13:19 (Ref:180529)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leaving aside all such things as usefulness, versatility, performance and so on, and concentrating solely on the looks - I detest it. It is without question one of the ugliest monstrosities I have even seen on the road.
Old 30 Nov 2001, 18:14 (Ref:180624)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree, its one freak of a car.
i dunno how people can buy them.
Old 30 Nov 2001, 22:39 (Ref:180785)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the worst cars on the road, always driven slowly and badly.

Some people seem to take it as a status or fashion symbol. Idiots

SL
Old 3 Dec 2001, 10:21 (Ref:181548)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks very weird in the photos I have seen, as it is not on sale in Australia. Though FIAT may be returning in the near future with the Multipla on the list of cars they would sell.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:11 (Ref:181726)   #6
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Leaving aside all such things as usefulness, versatility, performance and so on, and concentrating solely on the looks - I detest it. It is without question one of the ugliest monstrosities I have even seen on the road.

Couldn't have said it better. Had "Seen it, was violently sick into nearby bucket" an option, that's where I'd have voted.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 18:41 (Ref:181774)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

Couldn't have said it better. Had "Seen it, was violently sick into nearby bucket" an option, that's where I'd have voted.
I noticed when I left work this evening there was one parked there. The car park is normally packed but it was noticeable that all the spaces around the "thing" were empty. I guess it was some kind of informal quarantine! Fortunately I made it home without saying hello to Hughie.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 20:59 (Ref:181833)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the successor (in name) to the very practical 600 Multipla of the fifties, I guess it has a reasonable right to look a bit strange... I don't have a pic of the original, but for those who haven't seen the present one, this is it:

You can read about it on the motornet review... I don't think it's impossibly ugly, but then I haven't seen it in the flesh...

Last edited by Ray Bell; 3 Dec 2001 at 21:00.
Old 19 Dec 2001, 17:57 (Ref:187709)   #9
Alan P
Rookie

Alan P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying one, pick it up on 3rd January.
Old 19 Dec 2001, 20:39 (Ref:187801)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan P
Buying one, pick it up on 3rd January.
A brave man to admit to it, Alan. Presumably to satisfy some strange fetish.....?
Old 20 Dec 2001, 12:10 (Ref:187968)   #11
Alan P
Rookie

Quote:

A brave man to admit to it, Alan. Presumably to satisfy some strange fetish.....?
Well, not really. At the moment we've got 3 kids but are thinking of having another within a few years, so rather than buy something and have to sell it at a later date, we did the sensible thing and bought something that will do if we add to the family.

Also I like the 3 across layout, and it also has something that most MPV's do not have, dedicated boot space! We can have the youngest kid in the front in between us and the kids in the back, and carry shopping. If we bought any Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra then there's no boot space and the seats weight a ton. A Zafira? OK, seats fold away, but that just makes it into a large car and again, no dedicated boot space. Same with just about everything else, Honda Stream, Fiat Peugeot or Citroen thingy or anything else just makes compromises to carry 7 people. Really the Multipla makes perfect sense, which is why we're buying one.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 13:18 (Ref:187986)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's just too darned sensible, Alan!! But do you actually like the way it looks?
Old 20 Dec 2001, 13:33 (Ref:187994)   #13
Alan P
Rookie

Quote:
That's just too darned sensible, Alan!! But do you actually like the way it looks?
To begin with, no, but it does grow on you and now I think it's just different.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 13:43 (Ref:188000)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There are of course other things which grow on you, usually treatable with antibiotics.......

Sorry Alan. I shall curtail my abuse of your impending purchase at this point.

I'm sure that if you remain blindfolded until you get in it, all will be fine....

Whoops, sorry!

That's the last one, honest!

Old 20 Dec 2001, 18:24 (Ref:188096)   #15
Alan P
Rookie

Quote:
There are of course other things which grow on you, usually treatable with antibiotics.......

Sorry Alan. I shall curtail my abuse of your impending purchase at this point.

I'm sure that if you remain blindfolded until you get in it, all will be fine....

Whoops, sorry!

That's the last one, honest!

Slah it off all you want mate, it's my first ever NEW car, so I'm looking forward to it!

i may even take it to Crail if we can get an EVO meet arranged.
Old 20 Dec 2001, 18:52 (Ref:188114)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, nothing more from me, Alan, I've had more than my fair share of fun at your expense. Whilst it may look a rather strange machine, from everything else I've heard, it seems you've got a very versatile and reliable car there. Merry Xmas!
Old 20 Dec 2001, 18:53 (Ref:188116)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, Alan, perhaps once you're on the road with your Multipla you could write us a brief road test here - silence the doubters?!!
Old 29 Dec 2001, 03:55 (Ref:190810)   #18
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said in an earlier thread I started on this very car, it is horrific. It looks like hippo. Be thankful you don't have a Fiat garage where you live - I do - and there's SEVERAL of the beasts parked on the forecourt...
Old 30 Dec 2001, 13:50 (Ref:191456)   #19
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm mostly with you on this one Alan P and would be quite interested in hearing how you get on with it once you've lived with it for a while.
Apart from the looks, it strikes me as being a practical vehicle, the main selling point for it being the interior layout- I was hopeing a few other car companies would copy that idea.
Does anyone know if it makes a good towing car?
Shame it looks like a hippo.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 14:00 (Ref:191462)   #20
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as the looks of the thing go, don't forget what everyone thought of the Ford Sierra, the origional blobmobile!
Old 31 Dec 2001, 09:03 (Ref:191832)   #21
Alan P
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
I'm mostly with you on this one Alan P and would be quite interested in hearing how you get on with it once you've lived with it for a while.
Apart from the looks, it strikes me as being a practical vehicle, the main selling point for it being the interior layout- I was hopeing a few other car companies would copy that idea.
Does anyone know if it makes a good towing car?
Shame it looks like a hippo.
There is someone on the 4car.co.uk user experiences section that tows a caravan with her diesel version, but I'm getting the petrol 1.6. She says the diesel has no real problems towing the caravan.
Old 27 Jan 2002, 16:44 (Ref:205362)   #22
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Alan P, you've had your Multipla for a few weeks now, so ,er ....

What's it like?
Old 5 Feb 2002, 16:38 (Ref:210693)   #23
Alan P
Rookie

Yes, I've had it for a month now, Electronic speedo is sitting at about 900 miles and it's been very impressive. I suspected the 1.6 (101HP) might struggle with 5 adults but, whilst admittedly it's no ball of fire, (and is never likely to be one either) it's quite sprightly, mainly due to the low gearing (70 is about 3,500 revs). It's very car like to drive and the width doesn't really come into play as it's only a few inches wider that a standard car. It's incredibly roomy inside and the kids love being so high up. I've never been stared at or pointed at driving a car before tho!

The middle seats fold down front and back making them into tables (dead handy!) and I managed to get a single bed and mattress into the car with room for a friend in one of the rear seats and the boot closed! Doubt that would happen in anything but the largest estates, and even then the rear seats wouldn't be seperate!
The hardest thing to get used to was the handbrake (on the right of the seat) and not having an instrument cluster directly infront of me (caused a few moments of panic initially) and the front visibility, espcially around tight corners like in supermarkets can be bad, I've kerbed it a few times already on really tight corners.

Overall a sound buy, but it's still very wierd!
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:17 (Ref:214825)   #24
tommy
Rookie

tommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Alan,
I congratulate you on your choice! It's a car you love or hate, unlike all the other anomymous blobs on the road. I love it! It's even fun to drive compared to its competitors (Scenic, Picasso, Zafira: all DULL!!)