Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2233561)   #276
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Are we still arguing about this?

It was Lewis' fault. Kimi and Robert each did exactly the right thing. Lewis didn't and slammed into the back of Kimi. Nico put his hand up and copped it on the chin - the precious Lewis couldn't do the same.

There can be no comparison to an accident on the racetrack at 300km/h on a damp racetrack and driving blindly into the back of a car stopped at a red light in pitlane.

If there were no cars in front and Lewis sailed through the red light back out onto the track, he would have been disqualified (and still talking about his "likely win"). It is seen as a serious indiscretion.

In my opinion, the penalty is completely justified.

Now, can we move on to France... I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Lewis carve through the field.
Did you even see the accident? Hamilton did not drive "blindly into the back of a car stopped at a red light in pitlane." he misjudged it, tried to move out of the way but ran out of room and hit the back of Raikkonen. It was Hamilton's mistake but it was not reckless.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2233571)   #277
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist
Did you even see the accident? Hamilton did not drive "blindly into the back of a car stopped at a red light in pitlane." he misjudged it, tried to move out of the way but ran out of room and hit the back of Raikkonen. It was Hamilton's mistake but it was not reckless.
Ignoring your own team's instructions and the warning lights while driving in the pit lane is reckless. Cant think of any better word to describe it actually.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2233637)   #278
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koper
I think I prefer Rosberg's attitude.
Having just read this, I completely agree. In fact Nico has gone up several notches in my estimation, because I felt he probably had less room in which to stop than Hamilton.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 04:14 (Ref:2233846)   #279
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by koper
Yeap, it also drew my attention.

I think I prefer Rosberg's attitude.
having read lewis comment at the end of http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...20165135.shtml
i would also agree.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 06:03 (Ref:2233859)   #280
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nico is cool. Well done to him for owning up to for monentarily being a numpty.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2233929)   #281
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis is annoying me more and more with this, the accident I could allow as brain fade but trying to avoid any blame is pathetic.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2233952)   #282
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't see why anyone needs to get annoyed unless as a fan you think he should be better. Even then, isn't it time to move on?

For my part I do think that as a racer Lewis is the best out there, but as a complete driver I put him close to the JPM category. Unlikely to be WDC whilst his @rse points downwards. He has time to change and he needs to. But disappointing? Nope he made a daft move if he doesn't want to admit it, why should you or I care? Its racing not "after you Claude".
Old 21 Jun 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2234034)   #283
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's amazing how not very much in the way of mistakes has seen Hamilton gone from "guaranteed" champion to "unlikely" champion.

And it all started from China. The team could take part of the blame that day. Brazil was scrappy, but easily recoverable until the car failure. Bahrain was definitely pants. And one silly accident at Canada.

I see nothing to worrry about, provided he doesn't repeat mistakes.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2234037)   #284
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree. Drivers are human - they make the odd mistake.

Particularly in their first two seasons of F1...
Old 21 Jun 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2234049)   #285
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I see nothing to worrry about, provided he doesn't repeat mistakes.
You forgot Monaco this year. I suspect that this was the first ever F1 race when a driver won a GP as a direct consequence of a mistake and an a crash in first handful of laps.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2234058)   #286
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, I had forgotten.

I change my opinion then: he will never ever be world champion.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2234079)   #287
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Careful.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2234325)   #288
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
You forgot Monaco this year. I suspect that this was the first ever F1 race when a driver won a GP as a direct consequence of a mistake and an a crash in first handful of laps.
Pretty much everyone made mistakes in Monaco, everyone either had an off or was way off the pace of the leaders.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2234545)   #289
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heheh. When Lewis won in Monaco, it was largely helped by the safety car periods..but nobody said much. When Lewis lost a small chunk in Canada due to safety car, people suddenly start pouncing on the existence of safety cars and the need to "honor" the lead.

Its a mistake in Canada, stupid but true. He is punished for it, and while i'm irritated because Kimi's lost points cannot be recovered even if we put Lewis to the last row in France, i think it's time for us to temporarily let it go and move on (let's bring it back again if Kimi loses the title to Lewis by a handful of points). It all happened 2 weeks ago!

Drivers make mistakes and Lewis made one, that's cool. No problem. But Lewis's repeatedly brushing it off or attributing the fault to everyone but himself is bordering silliness, and i do hope he learns from it.

Rosberg's mistake was more understandable and excusable than Lewis's, and even Nico took it like a mature man to stand up to the mistake. Ron hopefully would remind and ensure Lewis doesn't make the same reckless mistake again. Much potential in the bloke, just to to manage his mindset abit.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2234554)   #290
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
To be fair re Monaco, Hamilton's race time was shorter than anyone else's even with the safety car removed, but of course catching up is one thing, passing is another...
Old 22 Jun 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2234624)   #291
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
He wasn't helped by safety car. He was helped by crashing early, getting to pit for a new nose and his new fuel load helped him to be among the firsts who took dry tires.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2234658)   #292
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Adopt, adapt, improve.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2234749)   #293
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
1) crash
2) do a rain dance
3) ...
4) profit?

He didn't adapt anything (except a new nosecone). It just happened.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2234754)   #294
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh damn. Lewis got lucky and won. This has of course never happened to any other driver. EVER!!!
Old 22 Jun 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2234764)   #295
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Oh damn. Lewis got lucky and won. This has of course never happened to any other driver. EVER!!!
To refresh your memory about the discussion. Noone said that being lucky is a bad thing. We were talking about the mistakes that Lowis did in his career, Knowlessy omitted Monaco (because he won it actually, easily to overlook the blunder) but it was a mistake nonetheless.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2234771)   #296
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, no, not the mistakes in his career. He made some before the start of my list too.

Just the ones that stick in the mind more as crucial, horrid errors.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 06:08 (Ref:2235395)   #297
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist
Pretty much everyone made mistakes in Monaco, everyone either had an off or was way off the pace of the leaders.
What an insightful thing to say. Being slower than the leaders, despite machinery, must clearly be as a result of making mistakes.

Monaco being a car leveller is a myth these days. Even when it rains, it doesnt happen.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 06:30 (Ref:2235400)   #298
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
What an insightful thing to say. Being slower than the leaders, despite machinery, must clearly be as a result of making mistakes.
? I did not say anything like that
Old 23 Jun 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2235571)   #299
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"Oh damn. Lewis got lucky and won. This has of course never happened to any other driver. EVER!!!"

Oh funny thing is, it started with Lewis, Mclaren and fans *****ing about how the safety car unfairly ruined Lewis a god-given win, and the need to re-look into regulations to ensure Lewis won't get disadvantaged. ever.

..like of course, this has never happened to any other driver. EVER!

Lewis has his share of good luck, and his share of bad luck. Live with it and move on.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 02:06 (Ref:2236269)   #300
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. I've actually read all 20 pages of posts on this and am essentially none the wiser than when I started.

My fault entirely....