Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jun 2002, 08:13 (Ref:312305)   #1
M Webber
Rookie

M Webber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash!

Well my first thread

and the question is how had the biggest V8 crash?
Now people will say Clowdnes at calder. But I don't think so by a long shot
I think maybe Morris at OPark with Mark Larkham or even Bargs at PI are way wosre then Clowndes
Thoms at bathurst was huge and of course Mark Burgman's was well very huge
so I but it to you what was the biggest
Old 13 Jun 2002, 08:23 (Ref:312314)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
There are heaps to choose from.

Dick Johnson in the XE during shoot out at Bathurst.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 08:29 (Ref:312319)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weclome to the forums, M Webber.

Well, there are just too many shunts to list...here's a few you've haven't mentioned that stick out in my mind:

John Trimbole, Philip Island (I think), 2000 Konica Race - lost it somewhere near the main straight and hit the tyre wall backwards REALLY hard, I remember he hurt his back, but was OK.

Brad Jones, 2000 Adelaide 500. Rolled his Falcon on to the roof at the location of the sweeper today.

John Bowe, Philip Island 1995 - Huge accident (I can't say I've seen it myself, to be honest)

Glen Seton, testing, Philip Island, 2000 - absolutely smashed his Falcon in testing and missed a race or two.

Don Watson, Bathurst 1994 - was killed on conrod straight.

Dick Johnson, Bathurst 1983. We all know the one...DJ smashes into the trees in the shootout.

Bathurst 1992 - towards the end of the race, a Corolla smashed the wall during the storm, somewhere at the top of the mountain, and hurt his foot. Anyone remember that one? And of coures, the Forrest Elbow crash that stopped the race was a big one, the Daily Planet Commodore (Trimbole I presume) hit another car really hard I recall.

Cameron McConville, he rolled his Commodore twice last year, at Winton and somewhere else, I've forgotten.

Matt Neal, Oran Park, totalled the car on the entry to the main straight.

That's all I can think of for now.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 09:08 (Ref:312337)   #4
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cam McConville at Sandown id the one your thinking of DNQ.
There is also Murphs one at PI a few years ago. There are a few in some state series rounds that i've waved flags at.

The pick of the bunch is the one at the Shannons Classic this year, when two open wheelers got together and a bloke was launched from his car and was killed. This was straight after Sibieria on the run up the hill at turn 8.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:18 (Ref:312398)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ

Bathurst 1992 - towards the end of the race, a Corolla smashed the wall during the storm, somewhere at the top of the mountain, and hurt his foot. Anyone remember that one? .
That was a mate of mine Geoff Forshaw. His nickname is "lefty". He didnt turn right at the top of mountain straight and went thru the gate and hit the gate post. it pushed the floor up and broke his ankle.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:48 (Ref:312433)   #6
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ

John Bowe, Philip Island 1995 - Huge accident (I can't say I've seen it myself, to be honest)

The one with Lowndes?
That was `96 I think, but I`m just being picky so I`ll shutup now

but yeah, the Trimbole one you mentioned would have to be one of the biggest
Old 13 Jun 2002, 11:37 (Ref:312502)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Without a doubt- Lakeside 1989- under the bridge- Lusty/Miedecke/Bond/Seton... an absolute shocker
Old 13 Jun 2002, 11:50 (Ref:312512)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not V8 related, but Calder 1977 - 19th March - the day Formula 5000's really died in Australia with the death of Max Stewart on the Saturday in qualifying.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:00 (Ref:312521)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

Whoops - deleted - web must be playing up - got posted twice

Last edited by Crash Test; 13 Jun 2002 at 12:16.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:09 (Ref:312536)   #10
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are so many - Tony Roberts rolling down the side of Mount Panorama near the end of the 1970? H-F 500, and who was the guy in the Torana that ended up halfway up a tree during the wet 1974 race? There was also the crash between Christine Gibson and Bob Morris that ended the 1981 race. Not a V8, but Seton lost his Skyline coming through Caltex Chase during the Media Day for the 1988 Tooheys 1000 and flipped it through the sandtrap. Then there's Tomas Mezera's crash during the 1997 race at the same place.

Crash Test, I agree with you on that one...
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:09 (Ref:312538)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Morris/Mark Larkham - Oran Park 1999 i think, when Paul stalled and larko had nowhere to got and caused a huge fireball, Paul in a wheelchair for a few weeks after that

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 13 Jun 2002, 20:28 (Ref:313026)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama
That was a mate of mine Geoff Forshaw. His nickname is "lefty". He didnt turn right at the top of mountain straight and went thru the gate and hit the gate post. it pushed the floor up and broke his ankle.
Yep, that's the one I'm thinking off
Old 13 Jun 2002, 21:53 (Ref:313111)   #13
White Knight

Skaifey's crash at Eastern Creek's turn one was huge, one of three in quick succession as a Street Sedan Commodore went straight on into the wall a week or so later, I think the guy's name was Terry Boswell. Then shortly after Laurie Donaher put his Mustang on top of the wall. All three were write offs, and cause by that stuff they use at drag meetings and goes like soap when it rains. Then there was Terry Bosnjak's huge one at Amaroo in Geoff Morgan's Porsche.

Old 13 Jun 2002, 22:51 (Ref:313141)   #14
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is hard to say, my wife & I were standing at the chase when Mezera came barrel rolling at us so that sticks in my mind but I do remember JB at PI in '95, DJ at Forest Elbow in '83, Morris & Larkham at OP, Burgman under the Dunlop bridge, Bargwanna at PI this year and of course Craig's Calder pirouette as being particularly nasty.

I may be a little too biased but Dugal's crash at PI a few years ago is right up there, "a major, major sausage, look at the state of that thing!"

Old 13 Jun 2002, 23:01 (Ref:313149)   #15
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill Brown rolling his Falcon along the Armco at Bathurst in the sixties. Captured in full glorious black and white by Channel Seven.

A very fast marshall was about one or two steps away from being under it.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 00:18 (Ref:313175)   #16
rogers_mel
Rookie

rogers_mel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes Bills was good....I think the pile up of 15 cars on top of the mountain at Bathhurst in the mid 80's wasnt a bad one
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:07 (Ref:313438)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
A few more

Jason Richards bent the Team Kiwi Commodore in Bathurst practice last year, he was OK luckily, the car was repaired.

Jason Bargwanna, Holden Young Lions, 1997, destroyed the car in the warmup, attracted media attention but for hte wrong reasons.

Garth Tander, Sandown, 1998? Not sure when, but I vaguely remember seeing pictures of Garth smashing a VT into the wall at Sandown a few years ago.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:22 (Ref:313454)   #18
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DNQ, Angus Fogg bent the TKR car.

Bargs at PI this year and a few years ago in the wet, along with Dugal McDougall's. Not to mention Larko in the same spot as Bargs this year.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:24 (Ref:313455)   #19
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Racing Car News" May 1968

Quote:
Running up the steep climb from XL to the Cutting, Barry Seton's Falcon GT and Graham Ward's Lancia collided. The Lancia climbed the inside bank, then rolled across the Falcon's bonnet, the impact carrying both cars across the track, through the safety (?) fence and over the edge - 60 feet straight down!
The Lancia was rolling as it went through the fence, and kept it up all the way down, destroying itself more and more at every turn. The Falcon, however, was airborne for what, to Barry, seemed an eternity, till it crashed into a tree and rolled end for end. Neither driver was hurt in the accident, but a difference of opinion as to who caused it almost ended in a good old-fashioned punchup!
Bathurst Easter 1968.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:32 (Ref:313459)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, go Graham! I'll have to give him a ribbing the next time I see him
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:34 (Ref:313461)   #21
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Angus Fogg actually bent the TKR car....

A marshal did actually get clipped by Bill Brown. If you look at a wide shot there's a bloke in a Castrol tabard being attended to by a couple of ambos. And on the Classic Bathurst Crashes tape, it's in color as well.

Biggest I've ever seen was the same PI meeting when Trimbole went in, was Gary Quartly writing off the Commode in no uncertain terms, with fire and serious air.

Bargs' 2 at PI were big, Dugal Mc at PI was big, The Lakeside one Crashy mentions was huge. Dick Johnson plowing a new road to Lithgow was quite large, the bloke who managed to ride the Commy along the wall at Bathurst was amusing....Burgmann and Don Watson at Bathurst, Larry, Morris and Larko at OP. Dont forget Larry got belted up the Tijuana by Paul Morris first....Lowndes at Calder.

John English punching a hole in the Wall at The Esses in the XD Falchoon was a goodun. JB at PI was big...For bingles at the Chase there's also the GTP Toyota going bum over Apex as well.

Seems a lot of big ones at PI.... Still the BIGGEST hit I've ever seen would have been that 12-13 car HQ one at PI last year... That was absolutely enormous....
Old 14 Jun 2002, 12:01 (Ref:313475)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- The first lap of the 1969 Bathurst 500, Bill Brown rolls at the esses, just about a third of the field comes away with damaged cars, amazing footage i have seen of all the cars just barrelling into each other. Also interesting that the race wasn't stopped, bring back those days!

- Gary Leggett had a major crash at McPhillamy during qualifying for the 1982 JH1000 in an Alfa Romeo GTV, seriously injurung himself as well.

- David Auger at Phillip Island in 1997 in the Alfa Romeo 155TS

- Johnson blowing his tire halfway down conrod on the Sierra in 1988

- Not a crash, but Glenn Seton driving the Skyline DR30 across the top and then aquaplaning on the first hump of conrod in 1987

- How about the Astra in GT-P last year at Phillip Island, nearly ended up in the spectator facilities.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 12:14 (Ref:313483)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Flaggie
Bargs' 2 at PI were big, Dugal Mc at PI was big,
I'll have to find them but I have images taken 1/25th of a second apart of both Dugals and Jasons aquaplaning accident at the Island from our start/finish line camera.

They only show a few metres either side of the start line but it is clear that in one case the accident had started well before the S/F line and the other started just on the line.

I recall posting links to them the afternoon they happened.

This was the note I placed on the result link that afternoon:

Quote:
Still Screen Shots.....
Taken from the camera located across the Start/Finish line, here are two sets of 8 images showing the start of both Jason Bargwanna's and Dugal McDougal's spins. The images clearly show Jason off the track and well into a slide prior to the finish line, whilst Dugal's spin had only just commenced at the finish line and he was further into the track than Jason
Old 14 Jun 2002, 23:03 (Ref:314030)   #24
Mr Squiggle
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Mr Squiggle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A flaggie mate of mine was telling me about a guy who barrel rolled a FHolden at Winton a few years ago and came to rest upside down in puddle.

Poor bloke nearly drowned!!

I can't remember his name though. Must be old age.

Any ideas?
Old 14 Jun 2002, 23:29 (Ref:314060)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
- How about the Astra in GT-P last year at Phillip Island, nearly ended up in the spectator facilities.
Does anyone remember Stu McColl's crash in FF at Calder the same year Lowndes went over? He slid across the track, hit the same kerb as Lowndes and was launched into the air and over the fence.

Lowndes at Calder.

Dean Canto at Adelaide.

Glen Seton at Adelaide (2002).

Murphy at Phillip Island for HRT.

Bargs x2 at Phillip Island.

McDougall at Phillip Island.

Lowndes and Bowe at Phillip Island.

Trimbole at PI was HUGE!

Skaife's at turn 1, Eastern Creek must have been massive, but it was in testing (I think - I haven't seen it).

Morris and Larkham at Oran Park.

I remember a Gatorade car (maybe Doulman) ending up on top of the tyre wall on the exit of the flip-flop at Oran Park. TV didn't show any replays though.

Don Watson's (RIP) crash at Bathurst and Gregg Hansford's (RIP) at PI must have both been horrible, but I never saw any footage of them - thankfully.

I remember Brocky rolling a Vectra entering the chase at Bathurst.

I remember Wayne Park clouting the wall on top of the mountain in a Ferrari 355. I can't remember if it was a big shunt, but I do remember it bursting into flames.

Mezera rolling at Bathurst in the Daily Planet car.

Romano had a big shunt on the main straight at Indy a few years back.

Would have loved to have seen Larkham roll his car on the warm-up lap at Barbagallo!