Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Nov 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3170316)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2013 Unlimited Racing Championship (Can Am is back!)

2013 Unlimited Racing Championship, featuring NuArt Can Am
Events will be held at select ALMS race venues.
  • Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway: May 9-11, 2013
  • Lime Rock Park: July 5-6, 2013
  • Road America: August 16-17, 2013
  • Road Atlanta (Petit Le Mans ): October 16-19, 2013
The initial field for the 2013 Unlimited Racing Championship is nearing public release, with 75% of the starting grid confirmed.

How's that, folks?
Old 23 Nov 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3170319)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
2013 Unlimited Racing Championship, featuring NuArt Can Am
Events will be held at select ALMS race venues.
  • Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway: May 9-11, 2013
  • Lime Rock Park: July 5-6, 2013
  • Road America: August 16-17, 2013
  • Road Atlanta (Petit Le Mans ): October 16-19, 2013
The initial field for the 2013 Unlimited Racing Championship is nearing public release, with 75% of the starting grid confirmed.

How's that, folks?
I haven't looked yet at the link you provided, does it answer the question of how big the starting grid is?
Old 23 Nov 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3170322)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
This was also announced for 2012....

Great looking car.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 20:05 (Ref:3170328)   #4
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So its a Spec car based on a 1960's design... doesn't sound very "unlimited" to me......
Old 23 Nov 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3170333)   #5
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
2013 Unlimited Racing Championship, featuring NuArt Can Am. Events will be held at select ALMS race venues.

How's that, folks?
That's great. Saw them at the Petit Le Mans and they said they that they were going to make it happen. Do hope they can get 10-15 cars. My first sportscar race was at Road Atlanta in 1974 where the UOP Shadows led the way. Great memories and that's what got me hooked.

At PLM, I nearly busted a gut helping these guys push one of their cars back onto the transporter. I really wanted to hear it run rather than pushing it uphill!
Old 23 Nov 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3170350)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I can't believe people are forking out the dough for this, it just doesn't make much sense.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3170352)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I wonder what the transaxle is, they say syncromesh on the website. Also, they have traction control, which will probably help if they have a wet track.

There was a run of reproduction Lola T70's a while ago, is that still going on?
Old 23 Nov 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3170355)   #8
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is just a way to get rich guys to spend money racing in their own series, when they should be starting P2 teams.

I am looking forward to seeing them run (if I get a chance--and if they actually run.) 494 V8s, modern brakes and tires, amateur drivers ... what could possibly go wrong?

I think it will be a fun support series to watch---so long as they get a dozen cars or so.

I also spoke to the guy at PLM, and he seemed pretty confident that it would actually happen this time, and be worth the wait. Of course, he was an employee.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3170365)   #9
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To answer Skycafe... No, I am fairly certain the only T70's being made now are replica's as Lola has gone bust...

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 24 Nov 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3170395)   #10
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
these cars were supposed to make a debut / "preview" at ALMS Lime Rock Park - Northeast Grand Prix

but were a no show?
Old 24 Nov 2012, 01:14 (Ref:3170403)   #11
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I can't believe people are forking out the dough for this, it just doesn't make much sense.
When compared to DP's, P1's or P2's?

If DP's, I'll agree with a 'Yes'. If with P2 or P1 I will agree with a 'No'.

I'm amazed that my views of a modern Prototype class are one of extreme efficiency, greenness and relevance and then my views of the past are represented by Can Am and GTP. I want both!

I want both my modern examples of the most technologically advanced automobiles in the world taking the track in front of my eyes while testing and proving advanced technologies in the P classes while I still linger for the excitement of the past in a modernized format.

With the Can Am (simulators), they will be a great warmup before the big event. When I first saw Can Am in 1974, they ran with 1,000 - 1,400 HP. When they started a race, the ground shook and you could feel the ground shaking before they arrived.

I know that with the new Can Am series they can not produce earthquakes like that, but they can get people excited.

Hope they make it and the big show is worth it.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 01:23 (Ref:3170405)   #12
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
When compared to DP's, P1's or P2's?

If DP's, I'll agree with a 'Yes'. If with P2 or P1 I will agree with a 'No'.
This is more of an alternative to historic racing, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I want both my modern examples of the most technologically advanced automobiles in the world taking the track in front of my eyes while testing and proving advanced technologies in the P classes while I still linger for the excitement of the past in a modernized format.
But being spec can these be even called prototypes?

I'm all for it though. Provided they are fittingly overpowered and don't use TC it'll be a rare spectacle of thunder and powerslides. Surely better than the rumoured US GP2 series
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3170423)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
You can pick up an actual real McLaren M8 for as little as $USD 300,000, in good running condition. With that M8, you can run pretty much anywhere you want, forever and have a real car, with pedigree.

With these kits car copies, for the price of $USD 480,000, you will be able to race in this series, for as long as it lasts. Once the series is over, you pretty much have a worthless kit car, that likely won't be able to be raced anywhere.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 05:52 (Ref:3170429)   #14
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
these cars were supposed to make a debut / "preview" at ALMS Lime Rock Park - Northeast Grand Prix

but were a no show?
they were there, just not allowed to race.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3170448)   #15
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"You can pick up an actual real McLaren M8 for as little as $USD 300,000, in good running condition."

On the other hand if you have the kind of money needed to buy, insure, maintain, crew, transport and compete in an historic racer, you can probably buy whatever you want, and probably some more besides.

So, Instead of risking your historic McLaren, you can race around in a car with modern safety appurtenances, modern tires and brakes, and modern suspension---likely going faster and more safely than in the McLaren M8 you keep at home and driver rather carefully at the Monterey Historics once a year.

Liley you can have more fun in the Ultimacar, because you know if you wreck it you will likely survive better than in the McLaren, and also the car will be easier to fix.

Further, if I recall that cost came with a bunch of extras like crew and care at the event ... I think it was turnkey for folks who didn't have a racing organization behind them.

So a guy with a lot of money can buy the M8 and hire one guy to keep it pristine, and run it a few miles now and then to keep things circulating, and can fly to a racetrack, hop in his fake UltimaCar, blast around like an idiot with a huge smile on his face, and when he goes into the tires he can write a check and be back on track for the second event of the weekend ... instead of trying to find guys who know how to fix bonded aluminum honeycomb and have authentic 1972 Chevy 510 V8 parts in stock.

I have no idea if the series will survive and I don't care if it is a good idea for a business. I hope it makes for a good spectacle at the track.

According to the guy I spoke with, enough rich folks agreed that it sounded like fun which is why it will finally get off the ground (they claim) in 2013. If it only lasts one season, no matter to me, and that's one more McLaren M8 for someone like you to buy.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3170506)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
The Series is likely to last one year.... Between Grand Am and ALMS they have enough support series with meaningful entries.

Race just at Monterey? Ummm... these cars get out an awful lot more than that.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3170541)   #17
Maelochs
Veteran

I haven't been to a lot of Historic races but I haven't seen a lot of M8s either. One I think, and one M20. Mostly it is 911s and Chevrons and Cobras and a few Lotus 23s, some Trans Am cars ...

But ... Sure the guy could go out and thrash his M8. I wouoldn't. I would rather thrash my Cheezcar on a regular basis and keep the McLaren intact---just take it out for a few scary rides a year.

Though I must say, in I think four years of watching historic racing I have only seen one car totaled and it was one of the many 911s, so eh ...
Old 24 Nov 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3170544)   #18
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only this series could have GTPs other than Can-Am replicas...

Still, I guess you guys think that URC would not last for another season.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3170598)   #19
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
$USD 480,000
Ouch!
Old 24 Nov 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3170716)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Remember that ALMS and Gram-Am combined will have the main championship, Conti Challenge, IMSA GT3 Challenge, Star Mazda and IMSA Lites. They don't fit in the same weekend. So the URC could join one of the two packages, or perhaps IndyCar and SCCA World Challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
But being spec can these be even called prototypes?
If they aren't road cars, then they are prototypes. There's no other choice.
Old 25 Nov 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3170769)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
With these kits car copies, for the price of $USD 480,000, you will be able to race in this series, for as long as it lasts. Once the series is over, you pretty much have a worthless kit car, that likely won't be able to be raced anywhere.
Not disagreeing with your overall point, but I think calling them kit cars is a little harsh... The ones I saw are real race cars. Hell, it should be more interesting than prototype lites.

I find the engine most interesting. It's a 496 chevy, better know as the Vortec 8200. That's a truck engine and I don't think they make it any more. Surely, a crate 454/502/572 would be more economical? A ZZ502 would rip these rich fellas faces off.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3171469)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I say this is a fantastic initiative ! Let's face it, the LMPC's are downright boring(I see them as fieldfillers, nothing more), the large LMP2 club of standardised Nissans don't really rock my boat too, so to have the prospect of seeing these brutes of yesteryear running with up to date brakes, suspension and tires, makes my mouth watter !
Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3171474)   #23
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I say this is a fantastic initiative ! Let's face it, the LMPC's are downright boring(I see them as fieldfillers, nothing more), the large LMP2 club of standardised Nissans don't really rock my boat too, so to have the prospect of seeing these brutes of yesteryear running with up to date brakes, suspension and tires, makes my mouth watter !
I don't get the comparison to LMPC's or LMP2... they are a support series, not a class within the ALMS. If you are at the four tracks where they will race, you will see them in person. If not, you never will.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:56 (Ref:3171502)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
A ZZ502 would rip these rich fellas faces off.
per their website the engine in adjustable to give 300 to 700+ hp

so, can suit anyone, their faces would be safe Should be just loads of fun to watch.....
Old 26 Nov 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3171750)   #25
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If they aren't road cars, then they are prototypes. There's no other choice.
They were Group 7 sports cars.

Quote:
The Group 7 category was essentially a formule libre for sports cars; the regulations were minimal and permitted unlimited engine sizes (and allowed turbocharging and supercharging), virtually unrestricted aerodynamics, and were as close as any major international racing series ever got to anything goes. As long as the car had two seats and bodywork enclosing the wheels, and met basic safety standards, it was legal. Group 7 had arisen as a category for non-homologated sports car 'specials' in Europe and for a while in the 1960s Group 7 racing was popular in the United Kingdom as well as a class in hillclimb racing in Europe. Group 7 cars were designed more for short-distance sprints than for endurance racing. Some Group 7 cars were also built in Japan by Nissan and Toyota, but these did not compete outside their homeland (though some of the Can-Am competitors went over to race against them occasionally).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_7_%28racing%29

Now maybe revisited Can-Am cars?