Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Nov 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1758336)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Odd electrical problem

Oh dear. It looks like my car is starting to show its age. I've recently been experiencing a slight electrical problem. As with any car, when you turn the key to the on position (prior to ignition) all of the indictor lights (inyection diagnostic, emergency stop, temperature, charge and oil pressure) light up and the fuel gauge also goes to the corresponding position. However, when I turn off the car and start it up a while later none of these indicators (except for the charge indicator) light up and the fuel needle stays on the floor. The car starts up normally and, after a while, (some 5 minutes later) the fuel needle comes back to life and everything works fine.

I've checked the manual and the corresponding fuse controls all this plus the heater fan. The heater fan works fine and the fuse is OK so I guess that there's a poblem when that circuit goes into the dashboard but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Old 5 Nov 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1758354)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Any suggestions?
Open the hood/bonnet and remove the radiator cap very carefully.

Push the car away.

Install the radiator cap on a different car.

On a more serious note, there is probably something in the dash wiring that is overheating. Without a chassis wiring schematic it will likely be impossible to find.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1758356)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What thebear said......only don't even bother with the radiator cap.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1758361)   #4
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
However, once it starts working it doesn't fail again. It also works fine when I start it in the morning. It only fails when I start it up shortly after having driven the car.

I might start a fund so as to recollect funds from other, more well off people *cough*, to help me replace my car for a newer one.....*cough*
Old 5 Nov 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1758376)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
However, once it starts working it doesn't fail again. It also works fine when I start it in the morning. It only fails when I start it up shortly after having driven the car.
Almost like "Morning Sickness" but with a much different ending.

Quote:
I might start a fund so as to recollect funds from other, more well off people *cough*, to help me replace my car for a newer one.....*cough*
Begin with a PayPal account, then have a celebrity endorsement followed by a telethon.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1758377)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I know trhe answer to that one........don't start it up after having driven the car.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1760319)   #7
Sharky
Veteran

Ha ha ha. Well, this weekend is a holiday so I might try to take the whole dashboard appart to see if I can find the problem. let's just see if those "electric circuits" courses I had to take at the uni are of any use....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
Begin with a PayPal account, then have a celebrity endorsement followed by a telethon
ha ha ha, I might just do that with fellow forum members. The telethon goal will be to raise enough to buy a brand new M5....but I could settle (in the mean time) for a Clio or a Mazda 3 or something of the sort...

Last edited by Sharky; 7 Nov 2006 at 21:07.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1761944)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Mhhhh....well it's stopped working altogether. Well, at least the odometer is working so I can estimate how much fuel I have left. Let's hope that I'm able to fix it on my own or else.....more $$$ will be spent and those close to me will only get discount coupons for christmas.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1762185)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a multimeter & wiring diagram and go hunting for where you have 12v or not!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 01:01 (Ref:1762203)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Get a multimeter & wiring diagram and go hunting for where you have 12v or not!
I instructed him in this when we were `repairing' his bad head gasket.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1762233)   #11
Sharky
Veteran

Indeed. I have the multimeter ready and all the tools. I'll take the car outside this saturday or sunday and take the dashboard appart. Will update on any progress.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1763522)   #12
Sharky
Veteran

Well, it turned out to be pretty simple actually. It seems that the connector that comes from the fuse box to the dashboard had lost cotact with the terminal. It was just a matter of cleaning up the terminals a bit and closing the connector's "teeth" a bit and problem solved.

Some pictures of the culprit at:

http://pwp.etb.net.co/chsoto/DSCF1129.jpg

http://pwp.etb.net.co/chsoto/DSCF1126.jpg

Once again, many thanks for your help.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1764246)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Electrical problems huh?
Is it an Alfa?
Old 12 Nov 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1764276)   #14
Sharky
Veteran

Nope. Peugeot 205. Electrics are actually a bit unreliable.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1764294)   #15
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In that first pic the white wires look loke they've got hot at some point or is it shadow or a bit of dirt?
Old 12 Nov 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1764351)   #16
Sharky
Veteran

I believe those are letters written into the wire. Quite an observer though
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1764894)   #17
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
another comment

I am glad to hear that "OUR" car is now functioning again. We have cancelled the telethon.

How many km on it now?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1765453)   #18
Sharky
Veteran

Our car?!?! Does that mean that I'll have to give you half when I sell it? Bummer!

No, but the telethon goes on, not so much for the need for a new car but to fulfil my dream of owning an M5.

Actually, the car has a low mileage for its age (11 years old this december but with only 107.000km). BTW, the overheating problem with full load under a steep climb continues. Only 2 thing left to do: change the temperature warning light sensor or the water pump. If that doesn't do it then I'll start thinking about way to counteract voodo magic against cars.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 03:17 (Ref:1765478)   #19
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
If that doesn't do it then I'll start thinking about way to counteract voodo magic against cars.
Have you met with your neighborhood "Sorcerer"?

A ritual application of mystical incantations and rattles shaken vigorously while dancing around a fire might be of some help.

A tower of smoke and a pillar of fire might be all that is necessary.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1765911)   #20
Sharky
Veteran

I'll have to try it out although I don't think my neighbours would be very pleased