Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2003, 14:10 (Ref:555967)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf gets letter from Sir Frank

Apparently Williams GP has sent a letter to Ralf stating that "he needs to pull his finger out" and produce the results that he has in the past and those that he is being paid for this season.

This may or not be a fair tactic from Sir Frank and company but it surely is their modus operandi. I think that the new Williams car has some problems that have yet to be sorted and the new qualifying structure is apparently not helping Ralf out at all. Take into consideration that JPM seems to have stolen some of the support of the team from Ralf and that the qualifying procedure seems to favor the Columbian, it has put a lot of pressure on Ralf to perform. Its not fair, but that is part of the price a driver pays for racing with Williams GP.

The questions come down to this... can Ralf recover from this? Is he mentally strong enough to look Sir Frank and Patrick Head in the eye and demand they improve the car while he improves his chances by qualifying better? I think he is a strong racer, but has some room for improvement. I also think that not all of his 2003 performances are completely his fault too. But, in the end, he must do a lot better if he plans on staying at Williams GP for next season. Sir Frank has played his "or else" card.
Never forget #99
Old 2 Apr 2003, 14:37 (Ref:555996)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It was the same last year to a certain extent, in that quite often only one Williams went well, while the other struggled.

I don't think Ralf will be at the back of the grid all season. He'll probably put a decent qualifier together soon.

However, given Williams history for chucking out drivers, If he doesn't pull his finger out very soon, I expect a statement announcing his replacement to be released by Williams before long!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 14:45 (Ref:556014)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will stay at Williams for the next season, he already has a contract.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 14:59 (Ref:556031)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
He will stay at Williams for the next season, he already has a contract.
And that means so much in F1 today...
Old 2 Apr 2003, 15:14 (Ref:556047)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to crash.net's report on this, he isn't under contract after this season. Not sure who's right, but I'm sure Frank could pay off Ralf's contract and hire someone like Heidfeld or Fisichella, to get an easy performacne boost, for much less than it would cost to develop a new gearbox or aero kit to make the car fast eough to mask his lack of form.

Ultimately, Ralf's salary is reputedly 3 times that of Juan, and, considering that Juan beat Ralf in his second season, despite that car being designed more around Ralf, Juan having more misfortunes, and the new rules having now furthered the advantage aggressive spirited racers (like Juan, not like Ralf) get, that is a real injustice, and doesn't seem good from a business perspective. If it were my decision, I'd give him 4 more races to get up to form, after that, tell him he's out for 2004, adn put all the resources behind JPM.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 15:43 (Ref:556088)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Or it could be the HR persons way of complying with English law, giving written warnings to members of staff before sacking them.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 16:21 (Ref:556138)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a vote for GF alongside JPM. Hell they should ditch RS now!! It wont happen though.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 16:35 (Ref:556152)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bring back Button. Put Ralf in the other BAR - now that would be funny! You'd see some serious toy-throwing-out-of-the-pram then - I don't think Ralf would take kindly to that kind of pressure.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 17:08 (Ref:556173)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My comedy F1 updates on my mobile said it was BMW who sent the letter.

If true it shows new levels of people management by Williams or BMW!

Personally I think that Ralf is staying put and there is very little danger of him leaving Williams.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 01:53 (Ref:556700)   #10
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ralf gets letter from Sir Frank

Quote:
Originally posted by KC

Is he mentally strong enough to look Sir Frank and Patrick Head in the eye and demand they improve the car

Ralf has no grounds to demand an improvement in the car - as the problem is comparison to JPM, not the rest of the field.

I go with the formal warnings prior to sacking premise.

Who is Williams current test driver? Could he end up with a couple of "guest" drives if Ralf continues to underperform?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 01:58 (Ref:556704)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm no Ralf fan, but I hope Frank does end up doing to Ralf what he did to HHF.

Question: Last year were Ralf's 1st qualifying laps bad? I seem to recall him putting in some quiet good 1st qualifying efforts, especially compared to JPM and MS.

Last edited by Snrub; 3 Apr 2003 at 01:58.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 02:01 (Ref:556706)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fisi is the only replacement to be considered.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 02:25 (Ref:556722)   #13
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Or it could be the HR persons way of complying with English law, giving written warnings to members of staff before sacking them.
hes gone at the end of the season unless by some strke of god he beats JPM
Old 3 Apr 2003, 03:29 (Ref:556749)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The thought of Schumi Lite "saving his engine" in a BAR is actually pretty amusing! It would almost be worth it for the JV quotes - who do I write a letter to? Sir Frank?

What does he do with the engines after he "saves" them, by the way?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 03:31 (Ref:556750)   #15
GTV27
Veteran

Can't understand how/why people are constantly rating Fisi so highly - seems a bit like the Alesi phenomena, which was equally perplexing. :confused:

Would he respond to "Williams" grade pressure?

Frank should offer Mika H a comeback - he'd be getting withdrawal pangs by now.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 03:34 (Ref:556751)   #16
GTV27
Veteran

oooooohhhhhh - John SSC you are brilliant, JV and RS (isn't that appropriate!) can swap seats.

That way Williams get another real racer and BAR get somebody who Button can trash.

Nice!
Old 3 Apr 2003, 03:34 (Ref:556752)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
GTV27, by the look of Mikachu recently, I suspect he is also lacing quite heavily (mooseburgers?) and is not exactly in "race trim" right now.

Goodness, that makes 700!!!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 03:36 (Ref:556753)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Just thinking about JV and JPM on the same team! It'd be like the old days again with Mansell, wouldn't it? I'd pay to watch testing for lacings sake!
Old 3 Apr 2003, 03:46 (Ref:556755)   #19
GTV27
Veteran

Well, I'd hope that it wouldn't deteriorate to the depths of the Mansell v Piquet debacle, but it would be entertaining.

Mika could still do the business, even with a bit of extra ballast on board!
Old 3 Apr 2003, 04:00 (Ref:556761)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
But would the fire still be there for Mikachu? I wondered at times when he was WDC if he really "wanted" to be the one.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:41 (Ref:556827)   #21
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God I hope hope hope hope hope they kick Ralfie out after this season. That seat has long been wasted on a guy with MEDIOCRE talents on his best days!...It would be great to see JV back in there but he'll have to destroy Button to prove he's worthy again...fingers crossed!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:48 (Ref:556835)   #22
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf has been VERY mediocre to date, and it's not as if Albert Park and Sepang are circuits he usually struggles at...he really has to improve. Infact, if I was Frank, I'd give him until Silverstone. After that, do anything possible to get him replaced by Fisi...
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:59 (Ref:556849)   #23
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah if JV doesn't impress this year I would be happy to see Fisi at Williams...he deserves a shot at the top...but I'd rather see him in a Ferrari!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 08:54 (Ref:556949)   #24
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams have a history of chucking out good drivers, Hill especially. RS hasn't shown what he can do this year, but then the car might not suit his style.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 09:19 (Ref:556973)   #25
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
Can't understand how/why people are constantly rating Fisi so highly - seems a bit like the Alesi phenomena, which was equally perplexing. :confused:
I agree with you GTV27. I think Fisi is over-rated.

Didn't JPM get a similar(ish) letter over the winter from Patrick Head or Frank W? He was told that he needed to loose a few pounds, get fitter and perform to their expectations. At the time it was said to be a good kick in the arse for him. These lads at Williams seem to be good at writing letters!