Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jul 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2927980)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round 4: Mosport 22-24 July 2011

Unless I've missed it, no Mosport thread (?). Very sad that the current spectacle so comprehensively fails to whet the appetite!!!

I've cribbed the links from joeb's first post in his predictions thread...........

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

Live Video ALMS

Live Video ESPN3

World Times
Old 18 Jul 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2928111)   #2
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I for one am eagerly anticipating the GT race. Thanks for the links!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2928115)   #3
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to get so stoked for upcoming ALMS race but the whole coverage on the internet that barely works for me and the constant head in the sand mentality by ALMS leadership has really curbed my enthusiasm this year. I still look at the forums to see who wins and whats going on but apart from Sebring I haven't watched a single race. Talking with a few other people I know who dig sportscar racing makes me believe I'm not the only one who feels this way, I even toyed with the idea of going to see them at Laguna Seca this year but I don't know I might just spend the money going to see other race series instead.

Back on topic I hope the BOP that has happened reigns in the BMWs, and I hope the LMPC cars can avoid wreaking everyone unlike the last race.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2928131)   #4
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
I used to get so stoked for upcoming ALMS race but the whole coverage on the internet that barely works for me and the constant head in the sand mentality by ALMS leadership has really curbed my enthusiasm this year. I still look at the forums to see who wins and whats going on but apart from Sebring I haven't watched a single race. Talking with a few other people I know who dig sportscar racing makes me believe I'm not the only one who feels this way, I even toyed with the idea of going to see them at Laguna Seca this year but I don't know I might just spend the money going to see other race series instead.

Back on topic I hope the BOP that has happened reigns in the BMWs, and I hope the LMPC cars can avoid wreaking everyone unlike the last race.
Yep, I dont get how people can get excited about ALMS LolaMP1 or club spec racing, but the GT battle is certainly excellent. Reminds me of a really good FIA or BPR GT race with a couple of prototypes and spec cars circling the track.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2928137)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Yep, I dont get how people can get excited about ALMS LolaMP1 or club spec racing, but the GT battle is certainly excellent. Reminds me of a really good FIA or BPR GT race with a couple of prototypes and spec cars circling the track.
Lets see, last race at Lime Rock the LMP1 class went from 2 to 3 cars and will add another car for Mosport. So if that trend continues we could be pushing 9 ALMS protos by Petit!

Seriously though, Mosport is a great track and I love to watch multi-class racing there. At least for this round the LMPC's have been sped up a bit so maybe they can stay out of the way of the GTE race.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2928146)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I adore this circuit, but let's just hope GTCs won't cause as much hassle as last year!

Cytosport should be in much better form since it's a fast and flowing track and therefore really suits the Lola AM - unlike Long Beach and Lime Rock - but nevertheless you can hardly get excited about prototypes can you. That restrictor decrease may slow down the BMWs a little bit, but I'm still not sure whether the Vettes can fight for wins. Great place for that thou, first GT2 victory was scored here two years ago!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2928166)   #7
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While there has been much to dampen spirits around the ALMS this year, and while excitement and pride for the series don't compare to 2008, I still look forward to each ALMS race knowing it will be (sadly?) one of the best races on American (and Canadian) soil this year.

This week the addition of the Autocon car does provide some intrigue in LMP1, while I don't think they have the driver roster to compete even with the Oryx-Dyson car it will be interesting to see how close that car is on pace, and what its relative performance is like. As we know, John Field will be watching the 12 car as well, and he may bring his(/yet another) Lola back to LMP1 if he likes what he sees from the 12 car. A busier LMP1 grid is a weapon that can be used in board rooms from Hyundai and Audi to Gamma88 when trying to raise funds to compete in the ALMS, so the addition of the 12... and if it happens the addition of the 37 LMP1... is good news for the type of racing we love.

As far as the GT battle is concerned, you should be kicking yourself if you miss one of these races as the class is at an extremely high level of professionalism and competition and we don't know how many more seasons on this level we have upcoming. Putting politics aside, the Falken Tire Porsche, while having benefited from the 2x Corvette, BMW, ESM Ferrari, LMPC shamozzle at Lime Rock, appears to be closer to the pace of the leading GT cars than its ever been. With Derrick Walker on the pit stand the preparation and strategy of that team is in the same league as BMW, Corvette, Risi and the Lizards. Further, the 04 Ford GT seems to have the ability to hover around the top 6 in GT and could make itself a fly in somebody's ointment on any given weekend.

At the very least LMPC and GTC provide the overtaking we love, and while (Jarrett Boone is it?) some entries seem to be club racers way out of their depths in the ALMS (dangerously so, tarnishing the image of the ALMS and yet welcomed by management) there are professional drivers and teams that manage to put on good shows in both classes.

So yeah, we don't have Audi, Porsche or Acura like we did in 2008. And yes, management does seem to insulate itself from our complaints (many facets of reality,) and it is shocking what has happened to our beloved series; where once it was the darling of the racing world... but look at American racing, its all broken and the debt crisis and slow economic growth sure isn't helping. Of course, I'm just restating the obvious.

Chris
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2928170)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I adore this circuit, but let's just hope GTCs won't cause as much hassle as last year!

Cytosport should be in much better form since it's a fast and flowing track and therefore really suits the Lola AM - unlike Long Beach and Lime Rock - but nevertheless you can hardly get excited about prototypes can you. That restrictor decrease may slow down the BMWs a little bit, but I'm still not sure whether the Vettes can fight for wins. Great place for that thou, first GT2 victory was scored here two years ago!
I forget, what did the GTC's do last year? I know the race ended because of a GTC off, but it was caused by Cocker in the Drayson car.

I think the Vettes will have a really good shot at this race, especially if the Bavarians are indeed set back by their restrictor decrease. I also wonder how much longer the Risi guys will be off the top step of the podium. We have seen in Europe how good the 458 can be, but they just haven't been able to pull it off here - yet.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2928172)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
This week the addition of the Autocon car does provide some intrigue in LMP1, while I don't think they have the driver roster to compete even with the Oryx-Dyson car it will be interesting to see how close that car is on pace, and what its relative performance is like.
More interesting aspect will be to see how long the Lola AER can actually last before it'll eventually break down!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2928177)   #10
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
More interesting aspect will be to see how long the Lola AER can actually last before it'll eventually break down!
To be fair, the Autocon Lola AER was on the podium last year at Mosport, although it was with Burgess and Mowlem, and I dont think McMurry is anywhere near as fast as those two.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2928183)   #11
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I also wonder how much longer the Risi guys will be off the top step of the podium. We have seen in Europe how good the 458 can be, but they just haven't been able to pull it off here - yet.
IMO Risi would've probably already won if they weren't starting dead last @ two of the previous rounds- just look how well they've emergenced from the back of the grid! Well okay the car is not quite reliable enough and they've made some stupid decisions (Vilander putting hot laps in quali instead of Melo, wtf) but I'm sure they'll back on the top step before the season ends.

Fair enough with the GTC, apart from Orbit's unfortunate race-ender there wasn't really anything to moan about (that I can think of)
Old 18 Jul 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2928191)   #12
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
To be fair, the Autocon Lola AER was on the podium last year at Mosport, although it was with Burgess and Mowlem, and I dont think McMurry is anywhere near as fast as those two.
The old warhorse has shown flashes of speed every once in a while (more so with Intersport), but even you can't deny that they're far more likely to hit trouble than not with this notorious machine.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2928195)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Of course I have no data to back this up, but I think McMurry is decently fast. Not Mowlem fast, but at least Burgess quick. They should easily be the 3rd best pair in P1 at Mosport.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2928270)   #14
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what all the moaning about the P1s is all about. The prototype battles were probably better than the GT battles at Sebring and Lime Rock. Ok, there aren't very many of them (all Lolas of various kinds) and none of them are groundbreaking models, but the racing has been pretty close between the Cytosport Aston and the #16 Dyson. The #20 car is fast with Kane behind the wheel. I think Cytosport will have an edge on Dyson at a fast track like Mosport, but we'll see what happens. The Autocon car could be strong, but it is hard to say what will happen with it given that it has a revised engine design with isobutanol now.

Ok, the lack of interesting battles in GT this year probably has a lot to do with Risi's struggles and Corvette's crashes. The BMW has been reigned in, we'll see how that impacts their game.

I certainly did not have a problem with the GTC show last year at Mosport. The Miller car was quite fast until getting knocked off by Cocker (I think he got a penalty for that) and the Lawson Aschenbach/Shane Lewis car took the win. Lawson is money in a Porsche, I don't know why he does not have a GTE ride somewhere. He also has an engineering degree from one of the top US universities. I know he has a contract with GM, but they are letting him rot at the moment. At least put him back in the Cadillac WC car as he is a former champion of that series.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 06:13 (Ref:2928396)   #15
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Intersport always lost a lot of motors as they were always running them at the limit (although got a great finish at PLM last year when they turned it down). If I remember correctly, most of Autocon's woes were usually transmission related and not engine.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2928401)   #16
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone read this IMSA bulletin from yesterday? It sounds like the adjustments to the BMWs and Porsches that were previously announced won't take place until Mid-Ohio.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2928559)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Did anyone read this IMSA bulletin from yesterday? It sounds like the adjustments to the BMWs and Porsches that were previously announced won't take place until Mid-Ohio.
I like the part about how all the GT cars have to have a “dummy” camera housing on their roof even if there is no camera there! I wonder if somebody complained about the aero disadvantage of the camera being there?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2928577)   #18
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
It sounds like the adjustments to the BMWs and Porsches that were previously announced won't take place until Mid-Ohio.
Well isn't that convenient...
Old 19 Jul 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2928578)   #19
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
IMSA screwed up - there's a minimum time for a restrictor change being issues and the next event to allow the team adequate time to remap the engine.

IMSA got the update in too late and have also chosen not to enforce the Porsche weight addition, which they would have been entitled to do because it can be implemented with less notice. I guess penalising Porsche and not the BMW would have caused uproar.

Having said that, the whole thing stinks. The Porsche had faster straightline speeds than the BMW at Lime Rock as Bergmeister pressed hard at the end of the race. Plus the Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs had similar straightline speeds at Le Mans.

People don't seem to want to see that the BMW is being brilliantly setup by RLL and they haven't made a mistake all year. Tyres don't suck either to be fair :-)

Ben
Old 19 Jul 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2928671)   #20
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
*******no BMW flaming ZONE***********
Old 19 Jul 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2928681)   #21
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The isobutanol runs noticeably cooler, so engine reliability will be much improved, if Dyson is anything to go by.

I would guess that the Autocon car will be the fastest up the Mario Andretti Straightaway, as it has the larger displacement, and the turbos. I don't think Cytosport has much of a straight-line advantage over Dyson, and Dyson will have 2/3rds of a lap through the fast corners to pull some margin on the Lola-Aston before they even hit the straight.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2928728)   #22
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The isobutanol runs noticeably cooler, so engine reliability will be much improved, if Dyson is anything to go by.

I would guess that the Autocon car will be the fastest up the Mario Andretti Straightaway, as it has the larger displacement, and the turbos. I don't think Cytosport has much of a straight-line advantage over Dyson, and Dyson will have 2/3rds of a lap through the fast corners to pull some margin on the Lola-Aston before they even hit the straight.

Yes, but it appears that Cytosport is almost as good as the Mazda in the corners as well. If Dyson wants to win they have to allow Chris to run wild and have another great first stint, blocking and taking advantage of traffic at all costs. If Luhr pulls out to a massive lead like at Long Beach, then its game over as Graf and Smith seem to be about equal (Guy slightly better in traffic). Plus, Dyson is usually hopeless in the pitlane.

As for Autocon, cant see how they will pull off a win without serious problems from Muscle Milk and Dyson, I think a lot of people are overestimating McMurry, but yes Burgess is fast.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2928735)   #23
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Dyson Lola is a hybrid 2011 LMP1/2010 LMP2--Dyson couldn't the the suspension kit for the wider wheels/tires soon enough, so IMSA ballasted up their cars and gave them a larger air restrictor to counter act the ballast. However, that setup is intermediate between a current LMP1 and the previous LMP2 setups, as they have stuck to the narrower LMP2 tires.

That's why there's seemingly little performance difference between the Lola AMR and the Dyson Lolas--the Dyson cars weight slightly less but the Lola Aston has wider tires.

The Autocon Lola should be reliable since the engine has been heavily cranked down--should save the Lola/Hewland gearbox. And for Intersport, they shouldn't be hand grenading engines left and right either for the same reasons.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2928740)   #24
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I like the part about how all the GT cars have to have a “dummy” camera housing on their roof even if there is no camera there! I wonder if somebody complained about the aero disadvantage of the camera being there?
Probably. I think NASCAR teams all carry the camera pod even if they don't have a camera, but I may be off on that. I remember this being an issue there many years ago.

I also think the ACO Data Logger rule change is interesting. Does anyone want to try to make sense of it? I can take a guess, but I was wondering if anyone had anything concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The Dyson Lola is a hybrid 2011 LMP1/2010 LMP2--Dyson couldn't the the suspension kit for the wider wheels/tires soon enough, so IMSA ballasted up their cars and gave them a larger air restrictor to counter act the ballast. However, that setup is intermediate between a current LMP1 and the previous LMP2 setups, as they have stuck to the narrower LMP2 tires.
Dyson made some pretty significant modifications to their #16 chassis prior to Lime Rock. I don't know whether that changed their weight and tire size, but they have been pretty busy. I think the #20 car will get the changes soon.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2928748)   #25
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
IMSA screwed up - there's a minimum time for a restrictor change being issues and the next event to allow the team adequate time to remap the engine.

IMSA got the update in too late and have also chosen not to enforce the Porsche weight addition, which they would have been entitled to do because it can be implemented with less notice. I guess penalising Porsche and not the BMW would have caused uproar.

Having said that, the whole thing stinks. The Porsche had faster straightline speeds than the BMW at Lime Rock as Bergmeister pressed hard at the end of the race. Plus the Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs had similar straightline speeds at Le Mans.

People don't seem to want to see that the BMW is being brilliantly setup by RLL and they haven't made a mistake all year. Tyres don't suck either to be fair :-)

Ben
Ben the simple fact remains that the car was BoPed to make it competitve in a class that, it is now too competitive, at best they should be fighting for wins not dominating them, and that porsche never stood a chance, the porsche was riding the curbes so hard to catch the beemer while they were just cruising to finish, the porsche was pushing so hard that they blew a tire. as for the top speed, it means almost nothing about the engine addvantige the BMW had over the others, we dont know what setups everyone ran, BMWs could have ran a more drag/downforce setup while the porsche ran less and so on, not to mention top speed doesent reflect acceleration, witch is far more important. come on those bmw have around 50hp more then porsche.

lets see how RLL sets up the BMW with 450hp insted of 500.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.