Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2124335)   #1
matt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
matt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you get started?

How do you get started in regards to marshalling? I am a college student with no experience of marshalling but I have wanted to do it for years.

Anyone got any suggestions? Do I need a qualification?

Thanks
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2124339)   #2
JIMGOD
Racer

United Kingdom
huthwaite
JIMGOD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just sent you p.m.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2124349)   #3
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.barc.net/marshals/marshaling.php

have a read thru this,
it will give you basic outline information
Old 8 Feb 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2124363)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

The British Motorsports Marshals Club is at http://www.marshals.co.uk/ and Volunteers in MotorSport is at http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/

Good luck.

Jim
Old 8 Feb 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2124370)   #5
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well your looking at the right places as this is probably one of the best places on the web to ask and get information from as most of us orange encased nutters are signed up for an account here

Just reading these pages will give you loads of good advice and if you still want to participate well....

http://www.bmmc.org.uk/ is where I got started applied gives some good info and questions an being the British Motorsport Marshals Club was for me the best way to get my foot in the door for all the circuits in the UK.

You don't HAVE to join a club but being part of one makes life a lot easier. You get contact information and a structured set of people to help you figure out how to start off and to answer your daft set of first questions ( or at least they did me ).

If your only interested in certain organisations racing then you could become a member of them instead or both to cover all eventualities ( another club that seems to be worth joining is BARC ) but again unless your certain you don't need to go joining loads of clubs.

Once you do join up you are advised to get involved in a Training Day which unfortunately have been organised and run at most circuits already but not all. However don't despair if you are too late as although needed to get an official grading and beneficial to you to understand what the job entails they are available during the year and not having attended one doesn't stop you form actually marshaling events.

You've joined the club, you have a membership number, you feel your ready to try an event, download or visit a volunteering form and fill it in with your details and send it off. You will get a response with all the details of when to attend where to go and what time and then basically you turn up and get stuck in. Tell the guys its your first meet when you get their and they will show you the ropes and hopefully ( given time ) show give you a tour of the posts. You may even find that the chief at the circuit has a spare pair of probans you can use for the day ( thanks for the loan of mine last year )

You may not get a response until only a week or 2 away from the actual event so don't worry if you don't hear anything back immediately. Oh and don't forget with your membership pack comes those lovely contact numbers for your areas club officers who are brill at setting your mind to rest and pointing in the right direction.

Other than that there are colleges that do courses in Marshalling ( to NVQ2 ) if you wish to go down that route but the qualification is not required its just a different way to get into the job you still do the same job at the end of the day but you follow a fast track approach to get you trained up with the knowledge to be able to perform as an incident marshal from getting your qual and for me I am much happier to just gradually gain my experience by doing the job and working my way up the ladder as I just enjoy doing the tango trot so don't need a bit of paper to say I can fall in the kitty litter safely trying to get to my coffee

Its a very necessary job that is performed at every race meeting and without us cant take place, which to me is reward enough for seeing my favorite sport, from the best view in the house, whilst giving some of my time to ensure the participants and spectators can enjoy what I enjoy, safe in the knowledge, that some unnamed, possibly cold, slightly chubby ( some cases ), guy or gal is making sure nothing too dangerous happens on track and is there to give ssistance to participants when it goes ever so slightly wrong.

Good luck with your venture into our madcap world and maybe see you on circuit sometime
Old 8 Feb 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2124403)   #6
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as training days go,i know that BARC have got one on 1st march at Thruxton.
and i do believe BMMC do that session aswell,i do recall Mr s Green waving a flag at post 2 in assistance.
But check http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/ and you will find dates on there.

Plus you might get some dates during the season.
but it`s not a must to do a training session yet.
just gives you a better insight to what you let your self in for....
Old 8 Feb 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2124427)   #7
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv

( another club that seems to be worth joining is BARC )
I'd echo that comment. When you marshal at a BARC meeting, if you are a member, you get stamps on your membership card. The more meetings you do, the more stamps you get. At the end of the year you can use your stamps to pay for next year's membership, buy regalia OR take the money.

We didn't do many days last year BUT our stamps paid for our membership of BARC, BARC Midlands Region and the balance paid for our membership of BMMC.

BARC also have a marshals working party, led by Denis Harris who cares very deeply about marshals and their working conditions (as does Chris Hobson of BMMC).
Old 8 Feb 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2124449)   #8
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
The stamps are a few quid per day,
but with me n the wife going to the BARC big night out,
the meal is free as we both marshal.
but the money we had back between us covers the fuel for a return trip from cardiff to gatwick and an upgraded room for the night.

but with any organisation,you get your "perks" with them.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2124459)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
When you marshal at a BARC meeting, if you are a member, you get stamps on your membership card.
You also get stamps as a non-member!
I don't know if the value is the same as for a paid-up member, but again the stamps can be offset against membership or regalia.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2124466)   #10
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Mark,
if i remember rightly,the amount is the same,but i think the % of what can be used to offset regalia,membership differs
Old 9 Feb 2008, 00:55 (Ref:2124573)   #11
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think in a quick brief to all other posts, most of us started as we were speccy's and just got talking to other marshals on a raceday or already new someone doing it!!
belive me when you i say it is one of the best things you can do, great way to be upclose and personal with the racing, great job satisfaction and above all an amazing group of guys and girls who will become some of the best friends you could ever have!!!
Old 9 Feb 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2124713)   #12
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you fancy doing bike marshalling then email or phone the chief marshal, they are usually listed on any of the clubs websites. if you need any help just ask.
Old 9 Feb 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2124735)   #13
Sonic27
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Sonic27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too am a newbie. I am doing my first day on the 1st March at Thruxton with the BARC. It's a training day.
I went onto the BARC website and filled in the online volunteering form, it lets you put that you are a trainee etc etc.
I then looked at the list of events happening that the BARC are running and filled in the dates I was available to attend.
I have received my Marshals record card from the BARC and thats it, I'm ready to begin.
I then found this website and got some cracking advice about kit needed etc etc.
I will also be joining the BMMC, as I spoke to their new members secretary and was impressed with their attitude/knowledge. They also advised me to download the marshals registration card from the MSA website and send that into the BMMC with my application and they will endorse it and forward it to the MSA for me.
But I have to say by far the most helpful place has been this site, I can;t wait to get started because so far everyone just seems so friendly and helpful.
I think I am starting to turn orange...