Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Aug 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2748106)   #101
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Ah yes, hence the debris flags. I assume you can get wide exiting 8, into wet grass and find the barriers that far down....

Edit: J. Bleekemolen said he just lost it or had something break and found the barriers pretty hard....
No suprise that something broke, have you seen the pothole in 8? They keep showing it on the feed! I would imagine I am not the only one who thinks the track is likely the culprit here.

L.P.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2748107)   #102
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must have missed the potholes...too much multi tasking!
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2748117)   #103
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great job by both Johnnies, another calm and collected pole from Cocker and Mowlem making the Autocon Lola look like a completely different car.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2748119)   #104
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sooo.. out of curiosity, when was the last time autocon out qualified Highcroft?
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2748122)   #105
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, great qualifying session but can the Drayson team convert that into a win. I somehow doubt that as, although it's his team, Paul Drayson is the weak link in the driver line up. What about Johnny Mowlem for the Autocon team, pretty stunning as well. Still think the Muscle Milk Porsche is going to take the win. Lets hope they all get round the first couple of corners.

I'm more excited about this race on a great circuit that is Road America than the LMS at the Hungaroring.

Nick
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2748123)   #106
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlongman View Post
Sooo.. out of curiosity, when was the last time autocon out qualified Highcroft?
Probably back when Highcroft were also one of the also ran teams with an old lola.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2748124)   #107
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlongman View Post
Who can remember? Never?
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2748130)   #108
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick49 View Post
Wow, great qualifying session but can the Drayson team convert that into a win. I somehow doubt that as, although it's his team, Paul Drayson is the weak link in the driver line up. What about Johnny Mowlem for the Autocon team, pretty stunning as well. Still think the Muscle Milk Porsche is going to take the win. Lets hope they all get round the first couple of corners.

I'm more excited about this race on a great circuit that is Road America than the LMS at the Hungaroring.

Nick
Gas Mileage and Drayson are going to kill their chances around here. They are going to put Paul in the car to start and even if he doesn't spin he was 3-5 seconds a lap slower in practice. The first fuel stop for the LMP1's comes in about 45 mins, the LMP2 cars will (all but the Mazda) will be able to run close to an hour. Especially if both Muscle Milk and Highcroft start with the warm up laps saving fuel and likely get a early caution they might be able to do this race in two stops period and double stint the tires.

That will put the clearly faster cars at a disadvantage in track position. Only a late caution will save them.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2748133)   #109
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
The #61 Risi is whooping the #62 so far this weekend, i thought Melo and Bruni were Ferrari's top guns?
Mr. Risi said they needed another lap or two to get temperature in the tires.

All the cars will be within a second down to about 9th race pace. Not worried, just keep the Porsche behind you and keep in contact with the BMW's. I still don't believe these teams (BMW and Corvette) still have the balance figured out yet.

Trimmed out the BMW's and Corvette are the fastest cars with the Porsche coming next. They can qualify like that, but can they race like that? BMW was strong here (Corvette did some testing here) and as I said they'll be strong again and I don't care if they win.

We are coming up on two tracks that favor the Ferrari given Risi back to back to back victories at Mosport and back to back Petit Le Mans victories.

As long as we have #61 and #02 and maybe an AF Corsa car running interference it will be hard for any other team to win Driver's, Team or Manufacturers title and I'm looking for the complete SWEEP of all three to send the F430 out on a very high note.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2748135)   #110
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
With a freshly built and tight Porsche Spyder and likely a very experienced Porsche driver behind the wheel? I wouldn't bet on it. I also think the low drag configuration you saw at Le Mans on the Highcroft car will be in full use the rest of the way.
I didn't but then, perhaps I should have
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2748140)   #111
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm looking for the complete SWEEP of all three to send the F430 out on a very high note.
Your going to be very disapointed come the end of the season then
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2748144)   #112
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Your going to be very disapointed come the end of the season then
I doubt it, its all based on sound thinking, reality and numbers.

1) F430 has won or finished 2nd at Mosport for the last 4 years. Likely would have won last year if Risi/Kaffer could have beaten them out of the pits on the final stop.

2) There is only ONE competitive Porsche

3) Risi as won Petit two years in a row

I personally believe Risi win when they have too (Mosport), keep the Porsche behind them the rest of the way. Only BMW could upset things here, but they'll need at least one victory.

3 very strong Ferrari (#61, #62 and #02) vs one Porsche

Do the math. If Risi hadn't won at Mid Ohio (when they had too) then I might agree with you.

BMW and Corvette are going to run interference looking for victories firstly.

This has the Porsche finishing no better than 5th. Kaffer and Salo will not make the mistakes the others have.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2748146)   #113
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
Risi also won Le Mans the last 2 years, but who won this year? i thought so, statistics mean nothing when it is this close, it's all down to who is there at the end in the best place, and at this point i think your being rather naive believing #45 is going to finish no better than 5th.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2748147)   #114
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know about the potholes-wasn't the track resurfaced in '06 or '07. But then again, Mid Ohio was resurfaced in '06 in it's just as litted with concrete patches and "old" asphalt in '08 as it was in '05, and obviously not much has changed from '08 to now.

Or could it be the new curbs that ESPN basically complianed about during the Nationwide race in June? They don't seem to be anymore agressive than the curbs used since RA was resurfaced. Then again, in 1999 and again in 2000 (when it was widened) Mosport had potholes form in 2008-An Audi R10 had to have the tub changed because of it and the other R10 along with a Porsche RS Spyder narrowly avoided similar damage. And in '04 at PLM, Road Atlanta's crew had to fix a pot hole in turn 1 the morning of the race.

It seems that high downforce/high grip race cars + seasonal climate changes = tracks wanting to come apart.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2748150)   #115
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I suspect the biggest issue here is that the NASCAR machines are just so heavy that now we're seeing the results of them using the track. Indy had to put in concrete patches in the turns after the first year or two of the Brickyard 400, because of how hard those 3400+lb bricks are on the track surface.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 01:01 (Ref:2748182)   #116
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
The ALMS really need to sort there press officer out that writes the articles for there site, according to the qualifying reports for Porsche and BMW both the 92 and 45 start 4th, and this isn't the first time they have messed them up.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 01:37 (Ref:2748189)   #117
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I suspect the biggest issue here is that the NASCAR machines are just so heavy that now we're seeing the results of them using the track. Indy had to put in concrete patches in the turns after the first year or two of the Brickyard 400, because of how hard those 3400+lb bricks are on the track surface.
I believe that might be the case. I don't know why they make them heavy on purpose (tungsten bars in the frame rails).
Old 22 Aug 2010, 01:55 (Ref:2748191)   #118
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It could have been the stockcars that did that portion of the track in but things tend to need maintenance and repairs when they get to be nearly 60 years old.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2748192)   #119
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Risi also won Le Mans the last 2 years, but who won this year? i thought so, statistics mean nothing when it is this close, it's all down to who is there at the end in the best place, and at this point i think your being rather naive believing #45 is going to finish no better than 5th.
Why should I be naive? They finished off the podium at Utah and Mid Ohio.

GM was going to be a factor in the second half of the season because they introduced the cars here starting at Mid Ohio last year.

BMW won here last year and are odds on favorites, well deserved none of their cars have finished off the podium the entire year.

I am a NFL Football Fan Handicapper (and very good I might add) and statistics are important in determining who wins and who looses. Racing is a team sport and momentum is just as much a factor as anything else.

This is arguably the Ferrari's worst track, though Salo was in a position to win in 2008 and got blocked by his own teammate (something that won't happen this year).

The Porsche is also the least developed car on the grid. If you listen to the practice from Friday Pat Long admitted to lobbying Porsche for some new bits to help them out. They are struggling a bit, not totally out to lunch but enough for them to struggle in qualifying -

Qualified #4 at Long Beach, #8 at Laguna Seca,#4 at Utah and #5 for tomorrows race. I dismissed Lime Rock because of weather conditions that caught out the BMW's.

Besides Laguna Seca where playing bumper cars ruined the front bumper cover of the #62 and an LMPC making contact with #62 and causing a broken wheel and a #4 place finish, Risi has been RIGHT THERE and on POLE save for this weekend.

I said somewhere else on this forum, that the Corvettes will come good in the 2nd half and that BMW will likely win a race. All Risi has to do is keep in contact with the BMW's, the Vettes are of no concern they shot themselves in the foot so many times they are a non-factor and keep the Porsche off the podium.

Even with the DNF Risi is only 8 points back and tied for Manufactures and Teams.

I think it was uncalled for to call me naive when the Porsche's tires still don't last an entire stint and you're getting no help from Falken or the #44.

These races are short (2:45) things are not likely to happen to cause engine failures or huge accidents. Now that the LMPC's have been sped up and the GTC's slowed down, it gives them more breathing room to race as well.

You can wave your Porsche flag all you want and I favor Risi but not blindly. All they need is a podium finish here. Chances are if they get it, the #45 won't be on it.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2748281)   #120
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The ALMS really need to sort there press officer out that writes the articles for there site, according to the qualifying reports for Porsche and BMW both the 92 and 45 start 4th, and this isn't the first time they have messed them up.
Sounds like the grid is going to be tight!
Old 22 Aug 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2748325)   #121
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You know, all those damn German cars look alike anyway!!

DK
Old 22 Aug 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2748352)   #122
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Road America was only bad for Ferrari in the past because it ran 12" tyre regs and had less weight, but less power than the others. They are now on 14" regs and have similar power to the other guys.

Ben
Old 22 Aug 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2748354)   #123
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the press officers are from Flying Lizard and Rahal Letterman.

Chris
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2748374)   #124
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I think that the press officers are from Flying Lizard and Rahal Letterman.

Chris
BMW also does post pre-race, post qualifying and post race You Tube video.

What's Flying Lizard doing and couldn't Ms Miller (Risi) be doing more than releasing PR and Tweeting?
Old 22 Aug 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2748386)   #125
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
BMW also does post pre-race, post qualifying and post race You Tube video.

What's Flying Lizard doing and couldn't Ms Miller (Risi) be doing more than releasing PR and Tweeting?

L.P.