Old 9 Apr 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2860834)   #26
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
I wonder a little if he's backing off a little in q2 to get tyre choice and fresh boots to start the race?
I think he was just slow, but saving a fresh set of the softer ones (something that none of the top10 has) can certainly be an advantage tomorrow.

What I do wonder tho is why Rosberg bothered putting on a fresh set in Q3... he was a bit too ambitious I think, he had no business to do with the top8 and beating Kobayashi shouldnt have been that important (probably a bit too big a price to pay for P9 when you are in Q3 already)
Old 9 Apr 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2860844)   #27
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
What I do wonder tho is why Rosberg bothered putting on a fresh set in Q3... he was a bit too ambitious I think, he had no business to do with the top8 and beating Kobayashi shouldnt have been that important (probably a bit too big a price to pay for P9 when you are in Q3 already)
I assume that it's so that he can start the race with a set of tyres that have only done 3 laps and not 6 or 7 had he kept the same Q2 rubber on.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2860878)   #28
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I assume that it's so that he can start the race with a set of tyres that have only done 3 laps and not 6 or 7 had he kept the same Q2 rubber on.
Of course he would have only started 10th if he hadnt run in Q3 but is it cumpolsory to run in Q3? He might have been better off not running at all and just taking 10th place on the grid.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2860912)   #29
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael seems to be ahead of Nico a lot over the course of a weekend and then Nico pulls a great time out when it really matters.

Reminding me of Rubens Vs Michael. With Michael becoming the new Rubens.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2860916)   #30
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
But if it rains...
Old 9 Apr 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2860917)   #31
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
Of course he would have only started 10th if he hadnt run in Q3 but is it cumpolsory to run in Q3? He might have been better off not running at all and just taking 10th place on the grid.
Has there been an example of anyone not actually doing a qualifying lap in Q3? He was fast enough in Q2 so now reason why he had to set a time in Q3 i suppose.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2860923)   #32
shatners bassoon
Rookie

shatners bassoon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year it was a bit of comedy, any more and it'll get silly - Nico Hulkenburg is sitting on the sidelines, after all and could quite easily be bought out of his FI test seat and give MB more pride. the longer Michael underperforms, the less he becomes useful for them.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2860928)   #33
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
But if it rains...
He'll crash
Old 9 Apr 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2860944)   #34
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appaerenly Michael had a DRS failure that left his wing half-open for the whole lap in Q2. It wasnt a bad lap considering.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2860945)   #35
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
He just isn't performing as has well as he, Brawn or the fans expected. Nothing seems to have changed from last season. I think he'll bow out at the end of this year. Still as the most successful driver in the sport, I'd add.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2860955)   #36
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
11th place. Miles behind Nico. Risky setup maybe?
More like crappy driving.

I was watching some old races to get myself in the mood for the start of this season and Schumacher is nowhere near the level he was even in 2006. Seeing his current joke performances it is easy to forget how good he actually was. Stunning driver. No idea why he thought it would be a good idea to return.

Knowing when to stop is also a skill
Old 9 Apr 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2860964)   #37
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
More like crappy driving.

I was watching some old races to get myself in the mood for the start of this season and Schumacher is nowhere near the level he was even in 2006. Seeing his current joke performances it is easy to forget how good he actually was. Stunning driver. No idea why he thought it would be a good idea to return.

Knowing when to stop is also a skill
I think its a bit hard to compare. The Ferrari in 2006 was one of the best cars on the grid - it is already clear this season that the Mercedes is the 4th or maybe even 5th best car.

I don't think he's anywhere near his best but there are a good few more 'jokers' out there than him. He's looking better this year than last anyways - he just needs to sort it out in Quali 2.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2860967)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
I think its a bit hard to compare. The Ferrari in 2006 was one of the best cars on the grid - it is already clear this season that the Mercedes is the 4th or maybe even 5th best car.
We have to remember that this isn't a car from the Rory Byrne stable. Ferrari aren't what they used to be.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2861002)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
We have to remember that this isn't a car from the Rory Byrne stable. Ferrari aren't what they used to be.
And the reason for that is the ban on in season testing. If we ever go back to the days of allowing testing during the season then I think we will see Ferrari go straight back to the front of the field as they were the only team to have 1 or 2 drivers almost constantly lapping Fiorano and Mugello evaluating updates for the team. At the moment that situation is unthinkable though, just the same as the one engine per however many races weekends it is now. But thats for another thread.

I dont personally think Schumacher has lost his edge at all, I just think hes in a car that isnt quite good enough at the moment.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2861013)   #40
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Interesting conundrum for TGF fans.

If TGF indeed hasn't lost his edge and it is the car to blame then surely Nico soundly thrashing him means that Nico is better than TGF and possibly the greatest driver of all time.

If on the flip side TGF has lost his edge then surely it means it was a mistake to return.

I'll be interested to see how they spin this.

Last edited by ralf fan; 9 Apr 2011 at 20:48.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2861016)   #41
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I dont personally think Schumacher has lost his edge at all, I just think hes in a car that isnt quite good enough at the moment.
What does that make Rosberg then? If TGF didn't lose his edge, and Rosberg keeps beating hin in same machinery, then Rosberg must something really extraordinary...
Old 9 Apr 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2861024)   #42
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
What does that make Rosberg then? If TGF didn't lose his edge, and Rosberg keeps beating hin in same machinery, then Rosberg must something really extraordinary...
Does Rosberg keep beating him though? Sure he did last year, but Schumacher was in F1 for the first time in a few years and was rusty to say the least. So far Schumacher has been faster generally this weekend, ok in qualifying Rosberg beat him, but thats only half the battle. As for Australia, well Schumacher ran into problems on lap 1 and Rosberg didnt finish the race either. Tommorow we will have a clearer picture IMO.

As for Rosberg being something special or not, maybe he is? He won the First GP2 series back in 2005 against strong opposition from the likes of Kovalinen, Pantano, Carroll, Piquet and Jani. That certainly makes him of a decent standard IMO. We wont ever really know though unless he leaves Mercedes.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2861033)   #43
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I noticed that the BBC (can't remember if it was MB or DC) gave him a new excuse today. Whereas last year we were continually being told that the Bridgestones didn't suit Schumacher's driving style and it would be different with the Pirellis, today we were told that the Pirellis don't suit his driving style.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2861036)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Well Rosberg does keep beating him generally. There are a few exceptions but I would tend to agree with those who say Mikey is past his best.
That is not an argument. He clearly is not able to perform as well as he was 5 years ago and age is a factor.
Rosberg on the other hand was clearly quite good in GP2 and did a good job at williams but it was hard to judge.
Comparing him to Mikey in terms of overall ability based on the results at Mercedes isn't really fair because Rosberg is at a physical peak, Mikey is not.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2861046)   #45
shatners bassoon
Rookie

shatners bassoon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But didn't Ross Brawn used to say that it was when the car wasn't at it's best that Michael would show us how good he was?
Old 9 Apr 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2861063)   #46
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so frustrating to watch!! the weekend started of well in practice and i thought hold up he could be better this year!

Then he always falls short at crucial moments i think he is driving flat out but he is just missing that extra bit that young guys like rosberg and vettel can pull out when needed

i dont get it though? ok its only testing but even ferrari said schumachers pace was very impressive in barcelona and that wasnt just a backhand compliment to a great ferrari the pace must be there he must still have it in him to start being consistently fast
Old 10 Apr 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2861096)   #47
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
Not really, there's a simple biological reason why Schumacher is wasting his time in F1. When someone keeps doing something from childhood, constantly and to the highest level they reach a level of ability that is partly innate skill, partly experience and partly a biological process that attunes their reflexes, muscle memory and the physical connections on neurons in the brain to that activity

when that person stops that pattern of behaviour for a long period, especially at the age MS stopped racing, the body detunes all of those things because it doesn't need them to be at that level anymore.

it is then virtually impossible to regain that high level of physical prowess, especailly if the activity in question is as demanding as F1 driving - and the older they are the more difficult it is.

if MS had never retired he would now still be a contender but the period he spent off the boil has ruined him i think
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2861131)   #48
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa_number1 View Post
so frustrating to watch!! the weekend started of well in practice and i thought hold up he could be better this year!

Then he always falls short at crucial moments i think he is driving flat out but he is just missing that extra bit that young guys like rosberg and vettel can pull out when needed

i dont get it though? ok its only testing but even ferrari said schumachers pace was very impressive in barcelona and that wasnt just a backhand compliment to a great ferrari the pace must be there he must still have it in him to start being consistently fast

If you really must know, he had the better of Nico all weekend, his DRS failed during Q2. Seems like we have a fair few fan here who are very similar to those on PF1 formus...

Schumacher has generally been faster than Nico this year, its all too easy to say he is past it... I dont think he is, he is still very quick, has great fitness (today will be a test of that) and he can still shine if that dog of a Merc does not keep failing.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 07:15 (Ref:2861139)   #49
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
Not really, there's a simple biological reason why Schumacher is wasting his time in F1. When someone keeps doing something from childhood, constantly and to the highest level they reach a level of ability that is partly innate skill, partly experience and partly a biological process that attunes their reflexes, muscle memory and the physical connections on neurons in the brain to that activity

when that person stops that pattern of behaviour for a long period, especially at the age MS stopped racing, the body detunes all of those things because it doesn't need them to be at that level anymore.

it is then virtually impossible to regain that high level of physical prowess, especailly if the activity in question is as demanding as F1 driving - and the older they are the more difficult it is.

if MS had never retired he would now still be a contender but the period he spent off the boil has ruined him i think
This is an interesting contribution; could you please explain some of the evidence behind this? I am curious to know to what level this is supposition and how much is known.

I don't think it is pure age per se. As you suggest, if he had not stopped he might be a lot better now.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2861142)   #50
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This is an interesting contribution; could you please explain some of the evidence behind this? I am curious to know to what level this is supposition and how much is known.

I don't think it is pure age per se. As you suggest, if he had not stopped he might be a lot better now.
It is certainly well established that the brain reconfigures itself to suit the work it does. Some years ago there was a study where before and after brain scans were done of would be taxi drivers doing "the knowledge" in London and their brains physically changed as a result of their training with certain areas relating to spatial awareness and memory enlarged and other areas diminished by the time they had completed it. I am sure similar things (with different brain areas) happen in racing drivers as they do in all those who undertake a regular intense mental activity. Such changes have also been shown to reverse over time when the activity stops.
Closed Thread