Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2869318)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Grid positions (drivers and teams)

Losing my time as ever , I have done a sort of scoring of grid positions so far. The scoring is simple: 23 for pole, 22 for 2nd, 21 for 3rd, down to 0 for 24th (I don't matter about the 107% rule).

The table shows the (cumulated) scores after the first, the second and the third GPs. First table for drivers, second table for teams. Colors try to visualize the positions in a more intuitive way.

The bottom end is very clear: Hispania, Virgin, Lotus are very neatly stratified as the last, 2nd last and 3rd last team. Then, sadly, appears Williams and also Force India, but already entering the middle class of the grid, almost touching Sauber.

The top end is a bit less established, Red Bull and Mac fight for the ultimate top position (last race was a disaster for RBR because of Webber's troubles). Ferrari maintain clearly the 3rd position. Merc and Renault battle for the best of the middlers, with the surprising appearance of the "humble" Toro Rosso, and the welcome entry of Sauber, and then we arrive again to the other end of the table.

In terms of drivers, there are some notorious contrast between some team mates. Ros-Msc and Pet-Hei are possibly the most interesting ones.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2869333)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Fantastic work as always Schummy! Thank you....
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2869381)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Finally, one of your displays that i understand
Old 25 Apr 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2869559)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sorry Schummy but I can see nothing but two pictures of a frog inside an ice cub and the message about registering a domain...
Old 25 Apr 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2869572)   #5
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I'm sorry Schummy but I can see nothing but two pictures of a frog inside an ice cub and the message about registering a domain...
Frog in a ice cube? Maybe it's the emblem of FIA's Presidency?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2869626)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
Frog in a ice cube? Maybe it's the emblem of FIA's Presidency?
Good one ! But... no, actually somethinh is blocking the image you posted : http://imageshack.us/img/blocked_login.jpg
Old 25 May 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2885856)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Updating the stats after Turkey and Spain. There are 5 graphs, but they are gifs relatively light weighted. If there is any problem viewing them, please tell me.

Drivers:

Teams:

And now, in a graph way. Firstly, grid positions of every driver in each GP. I have accented the main drivers.

Drivers grid positions:

Average positions are interesting because they tell how relative position between drivers are consolidating as GPs pass by.

Drivers average grid positions:

One can see how drivers are pretty neatly arranged in three groups: 8 top drivers, then a gap, then 10 middle drivers, then another gap and finally the six bottom drivers. (In fact where I say "driver" I could say "driver/car" for car performance is a main cause of driver's result).

Now the same for teams, average grid positions.

Teams average grid positions:

More or less, a bit more roughly than in drivers case, three sets can be appreciated: 4 top team (2 "super-top" and two more), 5 "middle class" teams and three low teams (2 prettty low and Lotus trying to escape).

Interestingly drivers and teams groups are not totally correlated. The 8 top drivers are not exactly from the top 4 teams; there are two exceptions: Schumacher is in a (so called) top team, but he is in the middle group of drivers, and Petrov is not in one of the top teams but he is in the upper group of drivers.

Petrov case could be due to two reason: (1) he is doing a very good job AND (2) Heidfeld is behaving erratically, pushing Renault artificially low in the teams table, flattering, as a result, Petrov's results.

I have a bit more data, but let's leave this at this point, this post is already large.
Old 25 May 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2885907)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Schummy, thinks for your analysis - interesting and valuable as always.
May I suggest that you keep the individual score for each race under its name, with a Total column at the end. I just think it would make it clearer and easier to compare the drivers at each track.
Great work though your analysis provides really good insights - thanks!
Old 25 May 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2885912)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Just as a comment, I'm looking at this on my iPad and it's perfectly clear as well as being very interesting.
Old 26 May 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2886383)   #10
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Hi Schummy, thinks for your analysis - interesting and valuable as always.
May I suggest that you keep the individual score for each race under its name, with a Total column at the end. I just think it would make it clearer and easier to compare the drivers at each track.
Great work though your analysis provides really good insights - thanks!
Thanks!

A table with scores for each race would be a new table to include, as I want to keep the "progressive total" table to show how form goes changing along the season. I could include it in the future but the first graph tells the same except there are not numbers but lines. Following the "line" for each driver you can see how he was doing in those GPs (Webber is a notable case).
Old 26 May 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2886386)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Just as a comment, I'm looking at this on my iPad and it's perfectly clear as well as being very interesting.
I also usually see ten-tenths on the iPad most of time, I love it (the forum in the iPad), so I can have a firsthand check about if tables or graphs are nice on it.
Old 26 May 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2886411)   #12
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

A bit more info. Drivers sorted by average grid positions (first 5 GPs). Also included are number of times in Q3 and number of times "trapped" in Q1.
Code:
       AvGP   Q3   Q1
VET     1.2    5    
HAM     2.8    5    
BUT     4.2    5    
ALO     4.8    5    
WEB     5.4    4    1
ROS     6.0    5    
PET     7.4    5    
MAS     7.8    5    

MSC    10.8    2    
BUE    11.6    2    

ALG    12.4    1    
DIR    13.0    1    
PER    13.6        
KOB*   14.0    2    1
HEI*   14.6    2    2
MAL    14.6    1    1
SUT    14.6        

BAR    15.4         1

KOV    18.0         4
TRU    19.4         5
GLO    21.0         5
DAM    22.0         5
LIU    22.0         5
KAR    23.4         5
Three main groups, one "freaky" group and two "floating" ones can be seen in terms of qualifying segments:

- Drivers naturally in Q3 (8 drivers):
Red Bulls, Macs, Ferraris, Rosberg and Petrov.

- Drivers naturally in Q1 (6 drivers):
Hispanias, Virgins and Lotuses.

- Drivers "middle zone", usually "trapped" in Q2 (7 drivers):
Forces, Perez, Alguersuari, Maldonado

- Drivers type "erratic middle zone", not usually in any segment (Q1, Q2, Q3) because of erratic performances:
Kobayashi, Heidfeld.

- Drivers floating between Q3 and Q2 (drivers most probable to be in Q3 among those usually out of Q3):
Schumacher and Buemi are 9th and 10th on average grid performance, but they usually don't get Q3.

- Driver flotaing between Q1 and Q2 (driver not usually trapped in Q1 but first candidate to be one of them):
Barrichello is 18th in average performance but usually he is not trapped in Q1.

Monaco's qualifying is a bit particular but as a sort of general "guide" to qualifying (as things stand so far) we can say:
In the first segment Q1 Hispanias, Virgins and Lotuses are massively favorites to fail. The 7th driver to fail is probable to be a Williams or perhaps Sutil.

In the second segment the drivers called to be promoted to Q3 are very likely the 8 drivers from Red Bulls, Macs, Ferraris, Rosberg and Petrov. The two remaining drivers probably will be Schumacher and Buemi (and keeping an eye on the "surprising" Heidfeld).

That is the "general expected schedule". Of course brilliant individual performances or poor ones make interesting changes over it. Naturally the old random event here and there also plays a role.
Old 28 May 2011, 02:17 (Ref:2886950)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
Thanks!

A table with scores for each race would be a new table to include, as I want to keep the "progressive total" table to show how form goes changing along the season. I could include it in the future but the first graph tells the same except there are not numbers but lines. Following the "line" for each driver you can see how he was doing in those GPs (Webber is a notable case).

You are correct here I can read what I am looking for off the graph. I thought the numbers followed by the total score, and sorted according to the current position / race result would provide me with a quick accurate reflection of a drivers trend, in all honesty I had not thought of a cumulative analysis the way you have done it, I will use it a bit and see if I develop a feel for the presentation in that form.

Your analysis provides interesting insights into how the teams perform, Heidfeld against Petrov was a particularly surprise, be fascinating to see how the rest of the season pans out.

Some of the drivers will be dreading there team managers receiving a copy of these graphs there is literally no placeto hide!

Once again thanks Schummy.

Last edited by wnut; 28 May 2011 at 02:22.
Old 30 May 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2888112)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Thanks Schummy, nice features.