Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 31 May 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2888525)   #1
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
BBC F1 Coverage: Ted Kravitz - Discuss

There was a thread around here about DC and MB performance on the commentary box. But I was really interested to hear some opinions about the pit lane reporter that intervenes mid-race with news from the pit wall, Ted Kravitz. (I happen to have a particular opinion about his interventions, but would rather hear other people first as is a bit unconventional).
Old 31 May 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2888544)   #2
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ted does a great job, can't be easy running up and down the pit lane trying to be in the right pit at the right time when something happens.
Old 31 May 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2888555)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My question might be why the BBC has him running up and down the lane. Surely they could fund a 2nd pitlane reporter?

Mr Kravitz is ok, sometimes brings good intel.. he does get talked over sometimes... and sometimes is quite long winded... but is also restricted by not being in all 12 garages at once....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 May 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2888557)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Always interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/13588819.stm
Old 31 May 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2888559)   #5
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ted's Crevice does a great job he adds a bit of humor and reports in a down to earth way and he always explains things for the viewer so they are easy to understand
Old 31 May 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2888631)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably the best pit/sideline reporter on UK television.
Old 31 May 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2888649)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
My question might be why the BBC has him running up and down the lane. Surely they could fund a 2nd pitlane reporter?
I'm sure they could afford one, it's whether or not they are allowed one. Could get a bit busy if every channel wanted 2!

I like him, we shout "What News From Distant Parts Ted???" at the telly whenever they say they are going to him!
Old 31 May 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2888771)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He's workman-like and is efficient as can be expected in that job.

Lee McKenzie is the 2nd pit lane reporter? No? or is she a paddock reporter?
Old 31 May 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2888772)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
She just does the post-race interviews.
Old 31 May 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2888833)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I generally find Ted's input very interesting during the race. It must be a difficult task for him basically asking important team members what's gone wrong so he can announce to the viewing public that (basically) Team A have just screwed up and spoilt thier own chances...
Old 31 May 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2888835)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I also think he does a grand job!

Selby
Old 31 May 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2888948)   #12
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
does a top job & has done for a long time - suffers a bit from not having his worth recognised by others on the team (hence his getting cut off / having to blurtoutaloadofinformationasquickashecan occasionally).

There is a reason Ted has been in the job longer than most race reporters (working F1 since '97 & as on air talent for almost 10 years)
Old 31 May 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2888966)   #13
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who does this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSWceCyVWs deserves respect
Old 31 May 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2888972)   #14
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gotta agree with everyone above, i think he does a great job
Old 31 May 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2888984)   #15
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted Kravitz does an excellent job, every time MB asks him for the situation in the pits, he's either been and found out or is currently there.

He also shows great knowledge and at times adds another twist or dimension to the unravelling strategy of the teams.

Probably the best on-scene sports reporter at the moment
Old 31 May 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2889014)   #16
Louis Agilais
Racer

To me, he does seem to be wrong quite often. 2 possible reasons: he just "makes things up", giving us his interpretation of why something happened, although he uses a voice tone like he's sure of it, fooling the listener. Or he actually does all those miles up and down the pit lane, but never quite understands properly what people tell him, and then gives us what he thinks he has been told.

Either way, quite a disagrement.
Old 31 May 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2889024)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I agree he does a very difficult job well, and I think the BBC has a real asset there
Old 31 May 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2889048)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn site better than Lenny, thats for sure.
Old 31 May 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2889051)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ted is one of the better things that happen on the Beebs already good F1 coverage.
He has great insight, good knowledge and what he brings to the mike has been well researched and thought out.

He also seems to have the same insight as Martin which works really well and they do feed off each other better than any before pit to comm box pairing.
Old 31 May 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2889093)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that he does an excellent job. Remember that he doesn't have a free run of the pitlane once it "goes Live" for either qually or race. His movements (along with the other TV/Radio pit reporters) are limited.
I'd imagine that it's actually quite difficult for him to make his way from one end to the other of pitlane when the race is on.

What he can take advantage of is that he has access to Kangaroo TV or what ever they are calling it this season, which I believe gives more pit radio than is re-broadcast on the TV world Feed.
Old 31 May 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2889099)   #21
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I think that he does an excellent job. Remember that he doesn't have a free run of the pitlane once it "goes Live" for either qually or race. His movements (along with the other TV/Radio pit reporters) are limited.
I'd imagine that it's actually quite difficult for him to make his way from one end to the other of pitlane when the race is on.

What he can take advantage of is that he has access to Kangaroo TV or what ever they are calling it this season, which I believe gives more pit radio than is re-broadcast on the TV world Feed.
Wish I got to see Ted more often, most countries don't take this part of the BBC coverage - damned if I know why.
Anyone that can understand the in car radio deserves any accolade that can be heaped on him.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 00:02 (Ref:2889107)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Agilais View Post
To me, he does seem to be wrong quite often. 2 possible reasons: he just "makes things up", giving us his interpretation of why something happened, although he uses a voice tone like he's sure of it, fooling the listener. Or he actually does all those miles up and down the pit lane, but never quite understands properly what people tell him, and then gives us what he thinks he has been told.

Either way, quite a disagreement.
Not really. Everyone else seems to think he's great, myself included.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2889112)   #23
Louis Agilais
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Agilais View Post
Either way, quite a disagrement.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2889660)   #24
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault spokesman: ''He's on the way to hospital''
Ted Kravitz: ''Is he out of the car then?''
Old 1 Jun 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2889700)   #25
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC's coverage would be very weak without Ted.